Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas - Outlook and expectations

Bookmark and Share

Shamarko Thomas - Outlook and expectations

One of my favorite players in the entire draft. I was drooling over the idea of him falling to us with our day 3 pick, they traded up to get him and man what an excellent trade to make. That was the front office making **** happen.

So hes a bit short? In the big scheme of things whats the difference between Matt Elam and Sharmarko thomas when it comes to height? 1 inch? 5-9 isnt ideal, but when you can compensate for that with blazing speed and arm length like youre a 6-2 safety then theres no real down fall. Now i loved elam as well, but Shamarko, like elam is exactly what we need. I am willing to absolutely guarantee that Shamarko Thomas ends up a better pro than Eric Reid who went 18th overall....Eric Reid is a name, a big name from a big school....Shamarko is a player. Hes very thickly built at 215 pounds, and hes a sure tackler that has moved from LB, FS, SS, and CB. You can match him up in man or in zone, hes got the closing speed to play safety in a traditional role, and he has excellent play recognition. If you want to see his closing speed watch him run the 40 at the combine and just face plant afterwards because he was running so hard to get the best time that he possibly could.

Thomas has several articles about how he lost both his parent his sophomore year and now is taking care of his 5 siblings, not that that is important when evaluating his game tape...but tell me thats not a recipe for someone willing to go the extra mile.

Hes a top notch character player, he is absolutely a vicious hitter, and if he was 3 inches taller he would have been a first rounder. Hes been durable thus far, but with his size injuries are a concern, as they were with Bob Sanders and Polamalu, but thats not something to worry about right now. Right now the only thing to do is to be very excited that we not only had a player of Shamarkos caliber fall to us, but that the FO liked him enough to trade up for him. He is not the torpedoing tackler that polamalu is, hes built like polamalu but tackles like harrison (vicious, yet fundamentally sound...harrison while he got flagged a lot some justified some not so much was one of the better textbook tacklers ive ever seen play a pass rushing position) you can see him lay the boom on WRs but he sticks his nose in the run game and throws the RB to the ground. It was either his Rutgers or USC tape that he just threw the RB down like a rag doll.

What an exciting player to get in the 3rd round....he is not tryone carter, and he is most definitely not anthony smith (who could have been great, had it all, but could never wrap his head around the game...oddly enough another syracuse product).

Heres the article about his parents

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...mas/index.html
    Last edited by K Train; 04-28-2013 at 08:36 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Its been 40 years that the Steelers traded away a draft pick in a future draft so that should tell you how much the Steelers like and think of Shamarko Thomas......I already can't wait for camp and pre-season to hear about and watch this kid......

2nd String
    I like Shamarko , and am certainly not mad at the pick .... but you guys seem way higher on him then I am ... I think he'll be solid , and a good Special Teams contributor ...

2nd String
    Ones things for sure though ... He's a hard worker and a great character

Dudes a monster

Great write up as always Train. Another thing that makes me not care about his height is everything you mentioned, plus his 40.5 inch vertical. Shamarko is already one of my favorite Steelers.

<3

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Great write up as always Train. Another thing that makes me not care about his height is everything you mentioned, plus his 40.5 inch vertical. Shamarko is already one of my favorite Steelers.

<3
    Well I'm sure Troy will be hurt by week 3 so I'm already preparing for Shamarko to get some serious playing and I'm excited about the young man......

Love the pick up

My Mood
    Addicted
    I Love the pick, I will probably get his jersey, the only thing that bothers me is that he has had a concussion, this pick means either Troy or Clark is gone after this year......

My Mood
    Addicted
    Troy is listed at 5' 10", so I am not concerned with Sharmarko being 5' 9". Hopefully in a few seasons he will be added to my signature banner.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If he were an inch taller, he would have been a first rounder.
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

Thread Information