Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Are they back in OL denial?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Whereas your unsupported arguments is what exactly?
    This argument is supported by the fact that the offensive line looked like junk last season. Roethlisberger was sacked less because of Haley's offensive scheme, not because there was a dramatic improvement in the o-line's play.

    I agree 100% that they should've picked up at least one more offensive lineman, if not two. It's the key to a good passing offense and this is now a passing league. If the offensive line is great, then the lack of receivers will not be an issue. But the fact that they have no real #1 receiver and a subpar o-line makes for a really bad passing offense. I'm not explaining anything that people don't already know. I don't know why people feel the o-line is suddenly a non-issue just because they drafted o-linemen high in recent drafts. The fact of the matter remains that DeCastro is still unproven. For all everyone knows, the guy could be a bust. So it doesn't matter if they drafted him in the first round or first overall. He's unproven. And if he does end up sucking or even only being average, where then does that leave the o-line? This team definitely counted its o-linemen eggs before they hatched.

  2. #32
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,036
    We could have drafted 6 OL players, and for all we know they could be busts. We have to give the current players a chance to prove themselves. Sure, we could keep throwing players into the o-line, while watching the rest of the team slowly perish into an old terrible unit. However, the matter of the fact is that we have 6 pretty good players on the OL as it is, and Starks just waiting to get the call. Sure, we could have drafted an OL in one of the later rounds, but I dare say we've already tried that before, and it seldom gives any return other than a used roster spot. Futhermore, by the time we hit the fourth round, all solid OL talent were gone due to the massive run on them early in the draft. Should we then have used an earlier round pick on them? Well, we could have. But again, if we just keep throwing early picks on the oline, the rest of our needs will not be addressed. And again, we actually have invested heavily in the oline as it is. Give those players a chance before starting to throw panic picks after players.

    Also, I don't understand the argument with Haley's offensive scheme. Yes, it resultet in fewer sacks, but one could also argue that this is because it forced Ben to not hold on to the football for too long like he was supposed to do in the first place. Not even Texans oline could have kept Ben on his feet under the BA time. Ben made that o-line look much worse than it actually was. That is not to say that it was brilliant at all, and if you compare the line now with that of 3-4 years ago, this line has potential to be SO much better; you just have to give it a chance.

    As for it being a non-issue... I don't think anyone think its a non-issue, but again.. We had other more pressing needs. For instance, what do you need a good oline for if you don't have any weapons? Would you have Ben scramble on all the plays and pick up yards RG3 style? Not really. As for our first round selection, Jarvis Jones was just far and away the best talent available, and no oline player would be even close to provide the same kind of value.

    I don't think we could have taken an oline player over any of the 3 first guys without either making historical reaches or without picking legursky-like scrubs which would not have helped over the players we have now anyway.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  3. #33
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,127

    Are they back in OL denial?

    The oline is set!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  4. #34
    @CoachZach_ Zachintosh66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Toledo, Oh
    Posts
    6,993
    My Mood
    Addicted

    My Social Networks

    Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Gilbert, Adams (which ever side) decastro, pouncey and foster are more than capable of being a great o-line.

    Yes we need depth. We have beachum and i wouldnt be surprised they eventually bring back that horrid guy (legs) back. I dobut Starks comes back b/c hell want a starting spot and not sure there is anymore.

    If we can get an undrafted or futures contact guy to blossom it would be great. Also there will be more vets cut at some point so if they feel depth is still an issue they will address it at some point.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

    2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)


    [ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

  5. #35
    @CoachZach_ Zachintosh66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Toledo, Oh
    Posts
    6,993
    My Mood
    Addicted

    My Social Networks

    Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    This argument is supported by the fact that the offensive line looked like junk last season. Roethlisberger was sacked less because of Haley's offensive scheme, not because there was a dramatic improvement in the o-line's play.
    .
    I disagree, when we were healthy the OL looked great, Ben looked great, even had a damn running game...

    We will be fine...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

    2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)


    [ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

  6. #36
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Posts
    5,399
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    This argument is supported by the fact that the offensive line looked like junk last season. Roethlisberger was sacked less because of Haley's offensive scheme, not because there was a dramatic improvement in the o-line's play.

    I agree 100% that they should've picked up at least one more offensive lineman, if not two. It's the key to a good passing offense and this is now a passing league. If the offensive line is great, then the lack of receivers will not be an issue. But the fact that they have no real #1 receiver and a subpar o-line makes for a really bad passing offense. I'm not explaining anything that people don't already know. I don't know why people feel the o-line is suddenly a non-issue just because they drafted o-linemen high in recent drafts. The fact of the matter remains that DeCastro is still unproven. For all everyone knows, the guy could be a bust. So it doesn't matter if they drafted him in the first round or first overall. He's unproven. And if he does end up sucking or even only being average, where then does that leave the o-line? This team definitely counted its o-linemen eggs before they hatched.
    You can't predict injuries. And injuries were the reason the offensive line play was bad overall. And...Starks will probably be resigned. Better coaching and conditioning will lead to a healthy offensive line. That's the key right there:

    BETTER COACHING AND CONDITIONING OF THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

    We have the players. It's not about that.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  7. #37
    Draft Pick Number99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    325
    My Mood
    Roflol
    The reality is the Steelers have spent plenty of attn in the draft in the last few years. 2 #1's and 2 #2's currently in the starting 5. Beachum is with all probability the 6th man. So that leaves 2 maybe 3 spots to fill. Was the OL at all a priority in this years draft? No not even close. Once June rolls around and their cap space is opened up a bit the remaining spots will shake out. Remember Ramon Foster was undrafted and he's worked out fairly well so far. It won't be a stretch that one of the UDFA's this year will win one of the remaining spots.

    The notion that the Steelers are in OL denial is a joke. But then again so is the author who started this thread.
    Fear da Beard

    I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

    Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

  8. #38
    Rookie Free Agent Steelergolfer59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    133

    Are they back in OL denial?

    Quote Originally Posted by Number99 View Post
    It won't be a stretch that one of the UDFA's this year will win one of the remaining spots.
    I'm hoping Golic makes it. He's a big boy with raw talent. And finally we have an oline that's young, now just need to work on conditioning.

  9. #39
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    They won 2 recent super bowls and have been to 3. What exactly do they f***ing need to prove?
    Out last SB win was in 2008. It is 2013. They have shown that they can't put together a decent OL since 2005. Just because you have some success doesn't mean you can't improve. You DO know that, right? The OL has been bad for a long time now. After the 2008 draft, Tomlin arrogantly said that there was other ways to help Ben then to build a good OL. Just like his other statements full of hubris, he looks like a fool for having said that. Kind of like the "We are going to unleash hell in December" kind of thing.

  10. #40
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelergolfer59 View Post
    I'm hoping Golic makes it. He's a big boy with raw talent. And finally we have an oline that's young, now just need to work on conditioning.
    Not only does Golic have some physical skills, you know, with his family background, that he will be a hard worker.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Former Steelers running back Willie Parker wants back in Pittsburgh
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •