Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are they back in OL denial?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Are they back in OL denial?

The team's refusal to address the O line is what got us in this mess to begin with. But here we are again, and they did absolutely nothing to address the OL. They don't need to? Well, who here is confident that a quality LT is on this team? Who is it? Gilbert? Are you kidding? Adams? I don't think so. There isn't a legit LT on this roster. And they did nothing to get one in here - not even a mid- or late-round pick. I believe they are in O line denial once again, just like they were in Tomlin's first few years. I pray to God Starks can still be signed. And this draft was stacked with O linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    The team's refusal to address the O line is what got us in this mess to begin with. But here we are again, and they did absolutely nothing to address the OL. They don't need to? Well, who here is confident that a quality LT is on this team? Who is it? Gilbert? Are you kidding? Adams? I don't think so. There isn't a legit LT on this roster. And they did nothing to get one in here - not even a mid- or late-round pick. I believe they are in O line denial once again, just like they were in Tomlin's first few years. I pray to God Starks can still be signed. And this draft was stacked with O linemen.
    Mike Adams is very much build as a LT and could easily play there. Gilbert could play LT as well. Neither are prototypical RTs, so I don't see that as a problem.

As for the OL denial, I'm not sure what you are on about. We've invested 2 first rounders, and 2 second rounders in recent years, plus a couple of late round picks. We have invested PLENTY in the o-line. All they need to do is stay healthy, and we have a very very good o-line. If they can't, well that sucks, but you cannot draft your way out of injuries.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Ice Cream

It's obvious by the way they drafted that they are confident in Adams or Gilbert taking care of the LT position. So just relax and let them sort it out. The O-line looks fine and they will add a veteran for additional depth. No worries.

Biggest thing we need to be concerned about when it comes to the O-line is keeping the O-linemen healthy.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

You just are never happy...theres no denial, theyve made an investment in the oline and they have it to a point that they like it to be.

Adams is very much a LT, even if spends his whole career on the right his ability to kick out off the snap, mirror defenders, and get down field is something you cant teach. Something you can teach is his punch, he gives up on blocks too soon. He was having a great rookie year before he got hurt, improving every week and thats all you can ask.

Gilbert is built for either side, he wants to play on the left but i hope they have an open battle. Hes not even close to the run blocker as adams, but the offense tends to like to run to the right and thats an ok enough reason to keep adams on that side.

Foster, Pouncey, Decastro is a fine interior line and I really like Beachum as a backup utility guy. I imagine they will bring back starks, hes caught a lot of **** around here and for good reason but hes has played some of his best football lately and his commitiment to the steelers is unmatched, i really truly believe he would rather retire than play elsewhere. He still works out at the facility and is training, just like last season when he was rehabbing. Starks is a very good player and an underappreciated steeler in general for for his pure commitment to the team

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Mike Adams is very much build as a LT and could easily play there. Gilbert could play LT as well. Neither are prototypical RTs, so I don't see that as a problem.

As for the OL denial, I'm not sure what you are on about. We've invested 2 first rounders, and 2 second rounders in recent years, plus a couple of late round picks. We have invested PLENTY in the o-line. All they need to do is stay healthy, and we have a very very good o-line. If they can't, well that sucks, but you cannot draft your way out of injuries.
    You can't _JUST_ invest draft picks, shrug your shoulders and call it a day. You have to ensure you have a quality line, not just hope that you do. If Gilbert and Adams are busts (haven't looked too good so far) then you have to face that as a team and react and find a legit LT. They need to do more than just hope they work out. And they need to figure out why they are having so many injuries. I got word that they don't do much free weight lifting and I think that is related. SF does tons of free weight work, and they have every single linemen make every single game last year. The Steelers are very weak on their free weight lifting.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Ice cream,

The coaches and staff are confident in Adams and Gilbert. Case closed. They look at the film and if they didn't feel confident in them, they would have addressed the position. You have to trust them and let them do their jobs. Gzzzzzz
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    You just are never happy...theres no denial, theyve made an investment in the oline and they have it to a point that they like it to be.

Adams is very much a LT, even if spends his whole career on the right his ability to kick out off the snap, mirror defenders, and get down field is something you cant teach. Something you can teach is his punch, he gives up on blocks too soon. He was having a great rookie year before he got hurt, improving every week and thats all you can ask.

Gilbert is built for either side, he wants to play on the left but i hope they have an open battle. Hes not even close to the run blocker as adams, but the offense tends to like to run to the right and thats an ok enough reason to keep adams on that side.

Foster, Pouncey, Decastro is a fine interior line and I really like Beachum as a backup utility guy. I imagine they will bring back starks, hes caught a lot of **** around here and for good reason but hes has played some of his best football lately and his commitiment to the steelers is unmatched, i really truly believe he would rather retire than play elsewhere. He still works out at the facility and is training, just like last season when he was rehabbing. Starks is a very good player and an underappreciated steeler in general for for his pure commitment to the team
    Right on, especially regarding Starks.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Two first round picks and 2 second round picks on the OL since 2010 and they're in denial?.....Injuries wiped out the rookie years of DeCastro/Adams......You have to give those guys more time period.....Marcus Gilbert has suffered nagging injuries as well but still is just heading into his third season.....The coaches are high on Beachum and looking for him to start at LG......Foster was resigned for depth and Starks will be on speed dial.....

The elite LT's and OG's all went in the top of this draft....I guess you wanted the Steelers to reach like the Bears and Cowboys did for OL in the first round?

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Yes, he is built like one just fine, but he has always underachieved for his physical measurables. Will that trend continue? If it does, we are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    Yes, he is built like one just fine, but he has always underachieved for his physical measurables. Will that trend continue? If it does, we are in trouble.
    That just not true at all... He had a little bit of trouble in pass-protection the first couple of games, but that is hardly underachieving. That is just him being a rookie who was thrown in way to early due to injuries. He MAULED in the run game, and he did fairly well in pass-protection before his injury. That is not underachieving. As a matter of fact, the Steelers had by far the best running game all season when Adams played guard.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information