Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le'veon Bell- Outlook and expectations

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Le'veon Bell- Outlook and expectations

While i wasnt a fan of the Bell pick, Im a fan of addressing the position. I dont hate it nearly as much as i hated Worilds when we picked him, but my problem with Bell is some of the backs they passed on and reached a bit in the second round. That being said ive been a long time hater of Isaac Redman, like since the day he stepped onto the field and the insane fan support he got for being that rah rah smashsmout steeler football RB has long since died down and really almost disappeared entirely. I was hoping dwyer would turn into a player that around now another team would covet as their starter a la Michael Turner but it hasnt quite fell that way.

I do think that the potential it there despite the miles on him. He does not run like 230+ pounds, he runs like hes 200 pounds but he does have better ability to turn it up field than most 230 pounders and DEFINITELY better than redman (no explosion) and Dwyer (faster than redman, better vision than redman, but no stamina). If they do truly move to a zone scheme Bell is going to have to learn how to be patient and let the play develop but the fact that he doesnt play to his size might work in his favor in that kind of scheme because he is quite tall and since he doesnt look for contact his ability to read the zone and let it develop may be pretty good right out of the gates. Everyone always knocks mendenhall for being soft, Bell is the same kind of runner, which isnt really soft, its just not as violent as 80% of the fan base wants because they live in the past. Hopefully he turns into a better player than I think he will....Bell thinks hes like Arian Foster, Steven Jackson had kind words for him, if we get ANYTHING close to that kind of level he will be one hell of a steal, just dont set your sights too high, especially with Redman and Dwyer still on the roster.

Season predictions

12 starts, 800 yards, 7 TDs (all WAY more than redman has ever, or will ever have)

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Bell better become the starter and start the majority of games or the Steelers running game will suck once again....

800-900 yards with 5-8 TDs is realistic

I do think our run game will be improved this year with the o-line being healthy and the rookies coming back in year two. I hope that helps him right out of the gate and then we see the potential. It is a better situation that hes is coming into than had we drafted him two years ago. Hopefully the pass game is up to par so we dont have to rely on the run game and end up being one dimensional.

pass game was great last season, would have been better if they had any kind of running game. The pass game did not hold the running game back at all, ben was efficient and methodical last season before the KC game

My Mood
    Addicted
    I had Bell in the third round, but obviously the Steelers didn't think he would be there. Is he the best back in the draft (some say yes) but I say this pick was set in play for the AFC North division in December and January games. Some may argue Lacy the better back, but has Lacy ever in seen snow, let alone play in it? Bell is a product of Michigan and the elements won't surprise him a bit. This pick will also allow us to hold on to late leads, take the air out of the ball and keep the chains moving. Should take some of the load off of Ben as well, Coach Zach posted this kid got over 1,000 yards after first contact. Yes, that is what the Doctor ordered.

Maybe not the BPA in Round 2, but definitely addressed a need. Only concerns were his pedestrian like numbers against Michigan and Ohio State.

I too believe that the Steelers were afraid that he would be gone in the third round. I think it surprised them that Lacy did not go early, which must have led them to believe that there sometime before their third round pick would be a run on RBs. With Lacy, apparently, not turning out too well medically, Bell would probably be next up for many teams so they pulled the trigger. Its a slight reach, yes, but they wanted a RB and they got the one they liked best in the entire draft. Can't really fault them for that I guess. This is truly a time-will-tell kind of pick though. I think he is the type of player who'll either be pretty good, or just flat out suck. I don't see him being mediocre like a Redman or Dwyer.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    I too believe that the Steelers were afraid that he would be gone in the third round. I think it surprised them that Lacy did not go early, which must have led them to believe that there sometime before their third round pick would be a run on RBs. With Lacy, apparently, not turning out too well medically, Bell would probably be next up for many teams so they pulled the trigger. Its a slight reach, yes, but they wanted a RB and they got the one they liked best in the entire draft. Can't really fault them for that I guess. This is truly a time-will-tell kind of pick though. I think he is the type of player who'll either be pretty good, or just flat out suck. I don't see him being mediocre like a Redman or Dwyer.
    I think the Chiefs took Knile Davis in the top of the third, so chances are Bell would have been gone by our pick.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I expect 1200+ and at least 11 scores from Bell.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Lofty expectations for a guy that will be splitting time with either redman, dwyer, or both cause the coaches cant see the mediocrity there

My Mood
    Roflol
    If the rumors ring true and either Dwyer or Redman go I expect Bell to get between 175-200 carries about a 4.2 y/r avg and probably 7 tds. And about 30 catches for another 200yds and 1 td.

The Steelers in 2013 play 2 (Chicago, NE) top ten 2012 rush defenses and 4 (Minn, Cincy x2, Mia) other games vs 11-13 ranked teams. That means more then half the games this year will be against avg to below avg rush 2012 def teams. I would think those teams from last year should at least continue to play the run well. Teams that could have improved run def units include Balt, Buff and Det. That would bring the total of games up to 8 vs tough run def's. As with any new year defenses shift like the wind. but the early signs show at the very least a tough road ahead in terms of running the football.
    So Bell is a step in the right direction. Nothing about the running game last year made a Steeler fan want to smile. In 2013 if the injury woes for the OL are at least kept to a minimum the running game should improve.
    it will also be interesting to see how the new lowering the helmet rule effects the running games all across the league not just here. That rule in itself will change the game.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Thread Information