Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones - Outlook and expectations

Bookmark and Share

Jarvis Jones - Outlook and expectations

In taking Jarvis Jones the steelers selected the best player available, and to most a top 5 player in the draft, and to me the #1 overall player in this draft. It was bitter sweet as I did have my heart set on Patterson, but Jarvis Jones was probably the best pick there and they didnt hesitate in taking him. 4 months ago this was thought to be a real long shot, but it had been gaining steam over the last few weeks. When Colbert said they were thrilled with Jones running a 4.85 and 4.9...they should have been, i know i was. He is a really good football player, even if hes less than spectacular in shorts he really turns it on come game day.

Jones as a rookie likely wont start many if any games at all, but i do expect him to push worilds and push him hard. If he can be productive in limited roles like woodley was his rookie year we could see a real nightmare of a pass rush return. Ive compared him to Von Miller, and i stick by that. He doesnt share that same first step as von miller, and i wouldnt want him playing the same position Von plays (43 OLB, but rushes quite a bit) but as a 34 OLB hes a guy that can and will chase down the QB. With harrison cut i expect him to make us forget about him. Not as strong as harrison but hes faster, more explosive, and offers a much wider range of pass rushing moves. I think worilds has a chance to be a decent rotational pass rusher, but hes going to be so much better now that hes being given a real chance for the first time and he has a first round pick breathing down his neck.

Prediction for Jones as a rookie:

0 starts, 7 sacks, 1 FF

They got a steal, its up to jones how much he plays. If he comes into camp as an unblockable monster he has a real shot to unseat Worilds, but as much as i hate worilds i dont think worilds just lets that happen, and i hope he wont because he shouldnt. Jones isnt great in coverage, but has decent enough range and will now be playing in a system that is brilliant at masking a OLBs lack of coverage skills. We didnt bring him in to cover people though, hes gonna be chasing down QBs. Be excited about this one.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    My expectations are probably unrealistic but I hope does start by mid-season........Like you said Worilds is nothing more then a rotational pass rusher so really shouldn't be hard to beat out Worilds......But Jones playing time all depends on how fast he learns the defense, shows he can play the run at the NFL level, and yes at least show some kind of ability to drop into coverage........

I'm going 7 starts, 10 sacks, 3 fumbles forced....

Maybe I'm just high?.....lol

My Mood
    Addicted
    No stats.

Because the coaches are spastic and wont start/play him
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    No stats.

Because the coaches are spastic and wont start/play him
    They might not have much of choice if Woodley continues to be plagued with injuries and Worilds just continues to disappoint.....

Id be very surprised if he just rode the bench, he'll see the field. TC is a big time for him to make that case for himself. Back in 07 Timmons was injured with a nagging groin pull but Woodley wow'd the coaches and was described as unblockable 1 on 1 much of the time

Waterboy
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Unless Worilds finally clicks into the position, I believe Jones will see a lot of playing time. Also could if Woodley has hamstrings issues like he has the last 2 years. Hopefully Woodley gets in great shape this offseason and won't have to worry about it. Plus we still have Carter but he has been a no show so far.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I absolutely love this pick, I see him doing what Woodley did his rookie season, maybe even more depending on how Worilds does, JJ was the BPA available, and honestly i like the entire draft a lot, i believe we got some good value players in all rounds this year, i'm super excited and can't wait till Sept, i will be at a game this year for sure.....GO STEELERS

I know the rookies rarely start, but we drafted where we did because we were 8-8. .500 teams, if they are smart, play the best players. Other teams have their top picks playing all the time. I hope he picks things up quick and actually finds himself starting early on.

I like Adrian Robinson to make the team over Carter, but we'll see

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I like Adrian Robinson to make the team over Carter, but we'll see
    I agree......I actually like Adrian Robinson.....

Thread Information