Thread: The first 3 rounds

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Sunshine

The first 3 rounds

So far I'm happy with our picks.

If Jones plays to his potential we'll soon forget Harrison

Bell will be the starter he's a 3 down back, I don't understand the why anyone dislikes this pick,especially when the next guy in line is (tapout) Dwyer.

Wheaton is Wallace with better hands and isn't afraid to go after the ball.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Wheaton is nothing like wallace, people need to get that out of their brains.

ones was an awesome pick....A+

Bell was a putrid pick...C-

Wheaton was a good pick in that slot...B

I dont know why everyone says 3 down back for bell...have you ever seen him pass block? the answer is no, because he cant

Comparing bell to arian foster just isnt accurate either, thats like in 2008 if you compared mendenhall to adrian peterson

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

I dont know why everyone says 3 down back for bell...have you ever seen him pass block? the answer is no, because he cant
    I think you are a little tough on the Bell pick. You are correct that he is not a good blocker but he has the tools (size) to be with a season of coaching. It may be why their signing yesterday was for one year. Bell will take over third down in year 2. Again, I have an issue with where they picked him but he is a HUGE upgrade over Dwyer/Redman. That ALONE should bring it up a letter grade.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Comparing bell to arian foster just isnt accurate either, thats like in 2008 if you compared mendenhall to adrian peterson
    Reminds me of Steven Jackson more than Arian Foster. Foster looks a lot more agile than Bell.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Your correct, the comparison to Wallace is unfair to Wheaton. Wallace could run past defenders and catch and that's were his talent ended.

Wheaton can run past defenders but will go after the ball and yes I do think he has better hands.

And as for Bell perhaps he may have been there in the 3rd but he's obviously the guy they wanted and ther were no safetys or corners worth taking in the 2nd
    Last edited by jpele; 04-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.

fourth round is a big round i think...still a lot of quality players left

Shamarko
    C. Washington
    Greene
    Okafor
    Webb
    J Williams
    Bray
    Brian Schwenke
    Barrett Jones

If they take john simon next ill FLIP

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Nice article on Bell

Prisuta watched every one of Le'Veon Bell's college games and offers up an inspirational analysis of what the Steelers now possess.The Steelers’ second-round pick carried the ball 382 times for 1,793 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2012, but he could have done more.

The suspicion here is the Steelers’ coaching staff can’t wait to mold the 6-foot-1, 244-pound package it unwrapped on Friday night and see what will happen next.Eddie LacyLe’Veon Bell’s most recent season included three 200-yard games and a 188-yard effort against*Nebraska.

But he also posted pedestrian numbers against some big-time competition: 19 carries for 77 yards against*Notre Dame, 17 for 45 against*Ohio State, and 26 for 68 against*Michigan. He didn't score a touchdown in any of those games.So what exactly did the Steelers draft at a spot that seemingly had a significant percentage of Steeler Nation screaming for either a different back (Eddie Lacy) or a different position (wide receiver, inside linebacker, anything else)?

Here’s what I saw watching almost every game Bell played last season at*Michigan State:* An offensive line that degenerated from inconsistent to injured to just not good enough.* A passing game that included a first-year quarterback and a bunch of first-year receivers and never clicked to the point that it could be depended upon to get anything positive accomplished on anything approaching a regular basis.*

A running back who decided if he didn’t get it done it just wasn’t going to happen, one that started trying to bounce too many plays outside and hit too many home runs and, in the process, ran away from himself.NFL analyst Mike Mayock saw the same things and prior to the draft wrote of too much East-West and not enough North-South from Bell.“That’s easily correctable,” Mayock added.As for a potential NFL destination for Bell, Mayock had this to say: “He fits exactly what the*Pittsburgh Steelers*are.

Once he gets his shoulders turned, he’s a bear, and that’s a great fit.”The Steelers’ staff clearly agrees wholeheartedly, which explains why they jumped at Bell in the second round, a round faster than originally anticipated. A lack of safeties with a second-round grade available in the second round was a factor in their decision, as was a medical question on Lacy that dropped him all the way to 61st overall to Green Bay.

But the Steelers will get Bell turned North and South. They’ll get him to hit it up in there consistently and take what he can blast his way to getting, which occasionally will be a lot more than the Steelers were originally envisioning. They’ll throw him the ball out of the backfield in a manner they never quite got around to doing with*Rashard Mendenhall.And when they re-establish the big-back threat, the punishing staple component they so painfully lacked last season, they’ll use that to their advantage in setting up the passing game, especially with play-action.

The days of*Jonathan Dwyer*tapping out are over.The days of Le’Veon Bell catching a screen and turning up the field behind*Maurkice Pouncey*and*David DeCastro*and*Mike Adams*are at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    The days of*Jonathan Dwyer*tapping out are over.The days of Le’Veon Bell catching a screen and turning up the field behind*Maurkice Pouncey*and*David DeCastro*and*Mike Adams*are at hand.

If our O-Line plays to their potential, La'Veon should do just fine. I'm not too worried about his pass pro... That can be taught. He has the size at 6'2" 240LBS to take on LB's.

It sounds like Haley had a big hand in this pick so I will blame him if Bell doesn't turn out.
    Last edited by igor0190; 04-27-2013 at 12:21 PM.

2nd String

Shamarko
    C. Washington
    Greene
    Okafor
    Webb
    J Williams
    Bray
    Brian Schwenke
    Barrett Jones

With these extra comp picks next year ... Trade away like a 4th or 5th next year , along with 5th or 6th this year to move back up into the 4th and come away with Greene and a safety

Time for Colbert to move up and get some of these guys ... and we have extra picks next year that we know are coming
    Last edited by cbrunn; 04-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.

My Mood
    Woot

Shamarko
    C. Washington
    Greene
    Okafor
    Webb
    J Williams
    Bray
    Brian Schwenke
    Barrett Jones

FLIP your LID or FLIP for JOY?
    Last edited by SuperSteelers; 04-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information