Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Love the Wheaton pick

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    A 5'11 rookie WR on a team with one of the worst passing offenses in the league and no big professional WRs. Very exciting.

They don't have one and they haven't bothered drafting one yet either. It's great.
    All I can figure is that Heath is recovering very well. If he is not.....it is going to be even harder to watch our O in 13 than it was in 12.

As for Wheaton, the thing I have noticed is how well he catches long balls over his shoulder in stride. Even if he is a fraction slower than Wallace that can be the thing that gives Ben the confidence to throw it deep to him.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Wheaton will have a rookie year close to what Mike Wallace did his rookie year.......I'm not comparing him to Wallace but just think he can match Mike's production from his rookie year and think Wheaton is a damn good football player....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Wheaton, Dunn, and Woods these cats will make our receiver core deadly if they work out, we will forget about Wallace by week 5 lol

Draft Pick
    Listening to CBS Sports radio today they were going over the Steelers picks. The host (don't know who), said that Wheaton will be a starter before the season is too long. He said Wheaton is faster, stronger and has better hands than Sanders.
    He also said that Thomas is so explosive he is going to be hard to keep off the field.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Exactly.

I forsee Wheaton on one side with AB on the other and Sanders working the middle of the field with the TE (whoever he's going to be).

And they are saying Wheaton is a better route runner then Wallace RIGHT NOW!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Wallace was a bust in termsnof being a team player....Hope Wheaton can produce better that the bust aka MW
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Mike Wallace quit on this team last year. That's unforgivable in my book.

F*uck him.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Exactly.

I forsee Wheaton on one side with AB on the other and Sanders working the middle of the field with the TE (whoever he's going to be).

And they are saying Wheaton is a better route runner then Wallace RIGHT NOW!
    Thats not saying much though if I'm perfectly honest. Wallace has elite speed, and he is probably the best WR in the league when it comes to adjusting to a deep ball. He is a terrible route-runner though. He can run the deep routes fairly well, and he can run a slant (which is probably the easiest route to run). The other routes, from what I've seen, is pretty abysmal. That is not to say that he really needs to be able to run many more routes than that, because Miami will not ask him to do much more than be freaking fast, which he will do very well.

Wheaton said he can run a 4.3, which is very doubtful. He can probably be a 4.35 on a fast track, or realistically a 4.4 which is still pretty fast. He'll not be asked to just blaze by defenders like Wallace anyway. In that regard, he is probably better suited for what Haley is trying to do on offense.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Thats not saying much though if I'm perfectly honest. Wallace has elite speed, and he is probably the best WR in the league when it comes to adjusting to a deep ball. He is a terrible route-runner though. He can run the deep routes fairly well, and he can run a slant (which is probably the easiest route to run). The other routes, from what I've seen, is pretty abysmal. That is not to say that he really needs to be able to run many more routes than that, because Miami will not ask him to do much more than be freaking fast, which he will do very well.

Wheaton said he can run a 4.3, which is very doubtful. He can probably be a 4.35 on a fast track, or realistically a 4.4 which is still pretty fast. He'll not be asked to just blaze by defenders like Wallace anyway. In that regard, he is probably better suited for what Haley is trying to do on offense.
    i think he could crack the 4.3s but hes an easy 4.4 guy

Wallace is a horrible slant runner btw, Holmes was brilliant at it and i dont think its the easiest route to run just like its not the easiest route to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think he could crack the 4.3s but hes an easy 4.4 guy

Wallace is a horrible slant runner btw, Holmes was brilliant at it and i dont think its the easiest route to run just like its not the easiest route to cover.
    well, from the limited playing I've done (7v7), I always found the slant to be the easiest. I'm on board with the notion that its not easy to defend, but I never found it particularly difficult to run per say. It might not be easy to do it the way Holmes can, but Holmes is a genius at it, so I don't think its a fair comparison anyway.

On that topic, I think Wallace was terrible at the slant coming out, but watching the tape from last year I actually think he developed a pretty good understanding as to the mechanics etc. In any case, my point still stands in regards to his disability to impress anyone with his short-passing route-running (if you can phrase it that way).
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information