Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Pick!

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    You dont have to explain that to me lol. Jason Worilds is a step above useless in my book lol. But with how this team favors veterans, especially on the defensive side of the ball, it's much harder for rookies to come in and make an impact. Jones already has a leg up on the usual guys they bring in to play OLB since he played it in college and won't have to learn a new position. I'm excited haha.
    Just saying if Jones doesn't unseat Worilds then I will view Jone's rookie year as a big time fail.........Yes they favor veterans but right now Tomlin and Colbert are blowing each other since they landed Jones......Plus Worilds has fallen out of favor with the team no doubt......Maybe week 1 is to soon to expect Jones to start but by mid-season he better be.....

Not knowing the college game at all, was J Jones the BPA at number 17 ??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburghpete View Post
    Not knowing the college game at all, was J Jones the BPA at number 17 ??
    Yes. BPA with the added bonus of him filling a major hole.

Draft Pick
    Yes. BPA with the added bonus of him filling a major hole.
    100% was ranked best player in the whole draft until he had his workout. Great pick for us it took us like a minute to decide. Sure offense woulda been nice, but we went bpa you can't really be that upset about the pick.

He was a good pick for 31 other teams that would actually give him a shot to play. Lets face it this team doesn't even consider starting rookie defensive guys. BPA is overrated IMO, we needed some offense in the first round, our D was fine as is.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Fantastic pick. Jones is going to surprise some people around here. I'm willing to bet he takes the starting job from Worilds by week 1.
    Dobut it... Not many, if any Rookies have started in DL's system
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Yep hard to be excited about Jones!

My Mood
    Roflol
    This is a good pick. It will be a stretch to say he will start at week 1, but if he doesn't it won't take him long to do so. Much like Woodley did in his first year, where he was a situational pass rusher he will play a lot in year 1. JJ does have a few advantages over Woodley as a rookie. He was a OLB in college where Woodley played more DE. At UGA he played a very similar role to what the OLB plays in DL's system. He might not be the sexy WR or TE that a lot hoped for but this isn't Bruce Carter or Alonzo Jackson we're talking about here either.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    I am well aware of this lol. But this unique situation that they haven't been in. In recent memory when they've drafted a defensive player in the 1st, there was already an established veteran there (Timmons: Foote/Farrior, Woodley: Clark Haggans, Hood: Kiesel/Smith, Heyward: see Hood). This is very different situation. Worilds may technically be a veteran, but he's young and in no world is he established. He's been a huge disappointment and if they had confidence him they wouldn't have spent a 1st on a guy that plays his position. I feel like they will have an open competition for the spot in camp, with Worilds having a leg up at first since he's a technically a "veteran", but I anticipate Jones taking the job. Week 1 may be a little wishful thinking but, IMO, jones will be starting over a Worilds at some point (granted he stays healthy). Plus unlike guys they usually draft to play OLB, Jones has the benefit of playing OLB at Georgia, not DE. The learning curve should be smoother than other guys. Hell be asked to do the same things in LeBeau's system as he was in college. He doesn't have to learn a new position like Woodley, Worilds, etc... I'm excited about Jones.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Jones is a first rounder, so they will let him learn. Once he gets the D learned he will get a few looks here and there. But he will not be asked to step in from day one...

Reality is not many rookies in the draft would/will start for the Steelers anyways:

Coop or Warmack @ guard could have
    A RB still can
    a TE could only b/c of injury
    No WRs will start over AB and Sanders (but could contribute)
    No DBs would (a cpl of the elite CB's could have, but they are gone now)
    Perhaps a DL could but we wont draft one high enuff more than likely

Everything we are drafting for is for the future, for depth or for contributing factors.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information