Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why pass up offense 1st round?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Well, were a family.

And when your amoungst your family, you may bitch and complain. But now it's time for our family (Steeler nation) to stand together against the other families. So far, you can't really complain about Colbert can you? He drafted a defensive beast and COLBERT JUST SAID IN THE PRESS RELEASE THAT JONES IS THE TYPE OF PLAYER WHO CAN START!!!!!

So what is there to complain about at the moment?? All's good. LOL
    I'm not complaining...I stated my opinion and trying to have a conversation.....Not onetime did I say I hated the pick of Jarvis Jones or said he was a bad player....Just simply asked why some where quick to always mention the red flags with Patterson while not mentioning the red flags with Jones.......THAT IS ALL.....

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSteelers View Post
    I'm just having fun and trying to make light of the situation
    Nothing to make light of.... I never said I hated the pick or that I was upset with the pick......

My Mood
    Patriotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Nothing to make light of.... I never said I hated the pick or that I was upset with the pick......
    You crack me up. We need to hang out.

My Mood
    Mad
    You crack me up. We need to hang out.
    Point out where I stated I hated the pick of Jarvis Jones?......Yes I wanted Patterson but that doesn't I hate the pick of Jarvis Jones....

Waterboy
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    If we do need to go TE early I hope we can get the guy from Stanford Ertz. About the same size and speed of Eifert.

My Mood
    Patriotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Point out where I stated I hated the pick of Jarvis Jones?......Yes I wanted Patterson but that doesn't I hate the pick of Jarvis Jones....
    Stop it, seriously your making me laugh. I never intended for my reply to stir you up or get you defensive. Look me up if your ever in Vegas and I will buy you a beer or two.

Still a chance for Ertz 2nd round also, doubt it though.

My Mood
    Mad
    Stop it, seriously your making me laugh. I never intended for my reply to stir you up or get you defensive. Look me up if your ever in Vegas and I will buy you a beer or two.
    I'm not defensive or even riled up.....Just posting and having a conversation......

Quote Originally Posted by hooles36bus View Post
    If we do need to go TE early I hope we can get the guy from Stanford Ertz. About the same size and speed of Eifert.
    Thats what I said the other day, if we dont go Eifert in the 2nd, hopefully we can pick up Ertz in the 2nd round and then Lattimore/Ball in the 3rd since Franklin will probably be gone.

I get they we need offensive talent, I do... But the Steelers just drafted BPA, at a position that fills a major hole. The dude is a top 5 talent in this draft. I had the same exact mentality as the Steelers did when I saw he ran a 4.9. I was happy. I knew he would have a chance to fall. I love Patterson and Jones. I love that hey picked Jones and I would've loved if they picked Patterson. This team has a lot of needs but we just improved a couple major areas with one pick (pressure, sacks, turnovers). I'd be willing to bet Jones comes in and steals the starting job by week 1. Even Colbert and Tomlin admitted he was one of he 6-8 special players in the draft. I'm so excited right now. Fantastic pick.

With a desperate need at a position that has been a jewel of their defense for decades, the Steelers tonight drafted outside linebacker Jarvis Jones of Georgia with the 17th pick in the first round.

And they say they got lucky because he ran so poorly.

Jones is the first linebacker the Steelers selected on the first round since Lawrence Timmons in 2007, Mike Tomlin's first year as their coach. He's the first projected pro outside linebacker they picked on the first round since Huey Richardson in 1991, one of their biggest draft busts ever.

It's been 26 years since the Steelers drafted an outside linebacker on the first round who became a success with them. That was Robin Cole in 1977. Cole played initially on the outside but eventually moved inside when they switched to a 3-4.

They believe Jarvis Jones will change that history dramatically.

"He definitely is one of the guys I talked about the other day as being a special player in this draft," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "He's a solid kid, a great player. He was dominant at a major college. He plays the run, chases the ball and most important he gets after the passer.

"It's really just a great honor to have this kid join our team."

The New Orleans Saints were seen as the strongest possibility to ruin the Steelers' plans and take Jones at No. 15, but they selected safety Kenny Vaccaro. That opened the door for the Steelers because Buffalo wanted a quarterback and they chose E.J. Manuel of Florida State with the 16th pick.

Vaccaro was in a group of players the Steelers identified as possible first-round picks. Others included Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson.

Jones (6-2 ??, 245) might have been a top-10 pick except that he ran a 4.9 40 at Georgia's pro day, slow for an outside linebacker. NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt said that would mean the difference between him getting to the quarterback and just missing in the pros.

The Steelers, obviously, did not believe that and put more stock in the games they saw him play. He led the nation last season in sacks with 14 ?? and had 28 over the past two seasons. Unlike many of the Steelers outside linebackers, Jones did not play end in college, but ... outside linebacker.

"It was a fun and easy evaluation," coach Mike Tomlin said. "You look at the outside linebackers in the 3-4 defenses, usually there's a projection involved. This was an easy projection ... very little guesswork.

"He excelled in what they asked him to do and he'll be asked to do similar things here."

The Steelers were delighted to see Jones run that slow 40.

"When he ran the 4.9, we were happy," Colbert said. "We knew we had a chance. We didn't even talk to Jarvis at the Combine because we didn't think we had a chance.

"This kid, when you watch him play, I don't care what he runs. He's a football player in every phase of the game, and that's what was really exciting."

Mike Tomlin told him as much.

"I talked to coach Tomlin during my pro day," Jones said after he was drafted. "He told me how much he liked how I played, and how much he liked my game.

"I'm just happy to be part of this organization. I know they have a great defense. They've always had a great defense."

Jones transferred from Southern California after the 2009 season when, after a neck injury, doctors there would not clear him to play because of a diagnosis of stenosis. He had no trouble at Georgia and both doctors at the Indianapolis Combine and those with the Steelers cleared him medically.

"Once I left the combine, I was cleared ... Everybody pretty much stopped questioning me about the stenosis."

Said Colbert, "We're very comfortable with his medical status or we wouldn't have made that pick."

The Steelers released five-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison when he declined to take a paycut and projected fourth-year pro Jason Worilds would take his place with LaMarr Woodley on the other side. They had little depth behind them.

"I have a lot of work to get to James Harrison," Jones said when asked to compare his style to that of the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. "The guy is powerful with speed. I'm trying to get on a level he had. I have a lot of work to do ... I love the way he played.

"I think we both play relentlessly. You can tell how much passion we have for the game the way we play."

Jones has been working out with Ike Taylor under trainer Tom Shaw in Orlando, Fla., where he has learned some current and past Steelers history.

"He's one of my mentors," Jones said. "Everybody knows the Steel Curtain. I'm just so happy to be part of this organization.

"At the end of the day ... I think it's a great fit with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm loving it."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-draft-685047/

Thread Information