Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why pass up offense 1st round?

Bookmark and Share

Why pass up offense 1st round?

I know, Im biased. I started the whole Eifert excitement thing on here and am on the bandwagon. How can they possibly pass up a 6'6 TE that can istantly impact and offense?? Not saying Jones is/will be a bust, but Ben needs WEAPONS on offense. Manny hasnt proved yet to stay healthy, our TE's right now wont get the offense going. If Heath came back, there would be a duel threat at the TE position. Huge red zone targets etc. He can block to help the running game and would stretch the field.

So this means what? He will be a ST'er or start right away. You spend a1st round pick on a OLB he better be starting half way through the season. I think Worilds can get it done personally, but guees we will find out. Ill eat my crow if Jones pans out, but I think Eifert will have a better career.

I like the Jones pick, but I still say we should have drafted offense. Patterson is still there for now, maybe we trade up and and get him.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Because the RB position has been devalued to the point that you can get a starter in the second round. No worries.

And it's obvious a down year for WR.

But I've got my eye on Justin Hunter of Tennessee in the second round. That may be where we go. But we will, at some point, address the RB position.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Well, Patterson to the Vikes.
    It just baffles the **** out of me that this team just doesnt want to field a team to blow opponets out. Jones will get ran at and ran backwards in the league.

If he doesnt and he makes a probowl in his first few season, Ill have a arvis Jones banner.

Dude, Patterson is a project player. It's obvious he's not a starter or the Texans would have taken him over Hopkins. Read between the lines.

You can't judge anything by what the Vikings do. Their the Vikings for God sake. They eat **** and call it refried beans!

Patterson can come in for the Vikings and return punts and mentor behind Greg Jennings. That's if he can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Dude, Patterson is a project player. It's obvious he's not a starter or the Texans would have taken him over Hopkins. Read between the lines.

You can't judge anything by what the Vikings do. Their the Vikings for God sake. They eat **** and call it refried beans!

Patterson can come in for the Vikings and return punts and mentor behind Greg Jennings. That's if he can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
    You can compare Pattersons brain to Harrisons also, how did Harrison make out? Patterson will be fine in the nfl. I wasn even on the Patterson bandwagon so it really doesnt upset me either way, but we need playmakers on offense.

Dude, you are waaaaaay reaching when you compare a WR to a Linebacker. We don't need project players. We got a guy who can really play the game and he's a beast!

We will get some playmakers on offense. I want some too. The best way to help the offense right now is to get a running game. That will protect Ben, and that will help establish the play-action pass which will help Brown and Sanders get open.

Makes me wonder which runningback they have their eye on. What if the we traded up, and got Lacey? Would you feel better then?

At this point, we must support our front office. We are at war with 31 other teams.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post

Who cares if he's a project? He has more of a chance of being a #1 WR than does Sanders. Sanders as the #1 receiver is an even bigger joke than last year's joke of Wallace being a #1 receiver. Our offense is a joke.

Change the title of this thread to "Steelers pass up on offense in the draft in an attempt to bolster one of the league's top defenses in an offensive based league."

Where's Crash? His "Rooney controlling the team and living in the 70s" rants sound pretty accurate at this point. This will be the worst offense since the season Kordell Stewart started without Yancy Thigpen.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Who cares if he's a project? He has more of a chance of being a #1 WR than does Sanders. Sanders as the #1 receiver is an even bigger joke than last year's joke of Wallace being a #1 receiver. Our offense is a joke.

Change the title of this thread to "Steelers pass up on offense in the draft in an attempt to bolster one of the league's top defenses in an offensive based league."

Where's Crash? His "Rooney controlling the team and living in the 70s" rants sound pretty accurate at this point. This will be the worst offense since the season Kordell Stewart started without Yancy Thigpen.
    RDS knows it all, The Steelers RANKED 22ND last year in ppg. That was WITH Wallace, they lost him. Now it is down t Sanders/Brown/Cotchery/Plax and our two TE's who are not offensive playmakers. Heath will be gone maybe half the season. The rb position is a joke and Ben is running out of years. RDS does not understand our offense lacks killer instinct with a HOF QB.

I'm totally on board with needing playmakers on offense, but taking a RB in the first round this year would have been a reach. Hell, we could even get Lacy where we are in the second, who knows.

The selection of Jones told us a few things:

1. The front office obviously doesn't feel as pushed about the WR position as some of the posters do. From their actions of giving Brown the big contract and retaining Sanders, they are telling you that they feel good about the WR position. Now..weather they are right or wrong, we'll see.

2. That Patterson isn't all that. And by the way Patterson dropped down the board, there seems to be a majority of teams that feel the same way. Patterson does have impressive physical gifts. No doubt.

I too would love a big WR to add to the mix. But we have a monster need at runningback too. No way we can fix everything this draft so we'll just fix what we can and maybe....just maybe we address a need in the second wave of free agency. Just sayin......ok..just hoping. LOL

Thread Information