Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert doesn't see any first year starters:

Bookmark and Share

Colbert doesn't see any first year starters:

Colbert doesn't envision any draft pick coming in and being an impact player in his first season. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur," Colbert explained. The Steelers do believe they can find future starts in the first three rounds of this year's draft.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

its politically correct to say that every year. Dont want to start ousting vet players on your team before you even know whos in the draft class

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    its politically correct to say that every year. Dont want to start ousting vet players on your team before you even know whos in the draft class
    Hogwash. In this case, he means what he says. This team is so ingrained with making young guys sit they are so out of touch with the modern game. You have to find a way to get some rookies on the field or you will eventually run into a wall, which is what we will see this season if they refuse to let a few rookies play. They think their past policies are infallible. They are not. At some point, those using horse carriages had to admit cars were the way to go (unless you are Amish). Other teams routinely get production out of rookies. Look at the turnaround Indy made in a single season, and that was with a rookie QB, and missing tons of their best players from the previous season. And yet they made the play offs. It can be done, but not when your organization is in denial. Pathetic.

they havent had a problem starting the olinemen young...most guys take a year to become "starters" but getting rookies in the rotation is something they do frequently.

Also, they have young guys to play this year that havent played much the last 1-2 years but have been in that rotation. Id expect Heyward and Woridls to get a ton of playing time (for better or worse, hopefully for better)

Colbert doesn't see any first year starters:

I figured but the article had me scratching my head. Maybe it would be a good thing to worry the vets once in a while?? lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Like this could be the year a handful of rookies take over some positions.. kinda thing... that could make you work a bit harder to get in shape....

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    If I thought Colbert really meant what he said, I'd be asking for his resignation right now. He's saying the PC thing right now. No worries.

Because if we drafted Patterson, Lacy, Franklin, Jones, Rhodes or Moore, they'd be starting.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    I think Colbert was simply saying that you can't count on rookies to be NFL ready. I wonder if their concerns about lack of depth at TE is a signal that they may look early for that position.

Quote Originally Posted by BstripeYpaint View Post
    I think Colbert was simply saying that you can't count on rookies to be NFL ready. I wonder if their concerns about lack of depth at TE is a signal that they may look early for that position.
    Not a word that the steelers are thinking Eifert.. Is a sign.

thinking out loud, if we get Rhodes, we can always move Ike to Safety next season.

That is a blanket statement, because if a rookie earns the right to play, he should play. That in itself should push the vets to work a little harder and bring their lunch pail to work.

Stupid statement by Colbert, ask me.

Thread Information