Thread: AFC North 3-year Draft Review

Bookmark and Share

AFC North 3-year Draft Review

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...-for-afc-north

Nothing really shocking, just an interesting look at the draft breakdown the last three years. I was suprised that we have the lowest amount still on the active roster though.

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Total picks: 27. Picks still on roster: 20 (74 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 9.

Best player: Wide receiver A.J. Green (first round, 2011). The fourth overall pick in 2011 was taken after Cam Newton, Von Miller and Marcell Dareus. He has 162 catches in his first two seasons, which is the second-most in NFL history.

Best value: Defensive tackle Geno Atkins (fourth round, 2010). He's the best interior pass-rusher in the game with 20 sacks over the past two seasons.

Biggest disappointment: Linebacker Dontay Moch (third round, 2011). Injuries and migraines have limited him to one game in two seasons.

CLEVELAND BROWNS

Total picks: 27. Picks still on roster: 22 (81 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 13.

Best player: Cornerback Joe Haden (first round, 2010). The best player could turn out to be running back Trent Richardson by the end of the 2013 season. In three seasons, Haden intercepted nine passes and broken up 47.

Best value: Guard Jason Pinkston (fifth round, 2011). He made starts in the first 22 games of his career before a blood clot in his lung sidelined him.

Biggest disappointment: Running back Montario Hardesty (second round, 2010). The 59th overall pick of the draft three years ago has more career fumbles (three) than touchdowns (one).

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Total picks: 23. Picks still on roster: 22 (95 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 6.

Best player: Wide receiver Torrey Smith (second round, 2011). He's averaged 17.1 yards per catch and scored 15 touchdowns in two seasons. Now, Smith will become the No. 1 receiver with Anquan Boldin gone.

Best value: Tight end Dennis Pitta (fourth round, 2010). Pitta had a breakout season last year when he caught 61 passes for 669 yards and seven touchdowns (which tied Todd Heap's 2005 team record for tight ends).

Biggest disappointment: Sergio Kindle (second round, 2010). Kindle created more headlines off the field, from fracturing his skull after falling down two flights of stairs to his drunken driving arrest. He played a total of three games and is the only player from the past three drafts currently not on the roster.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Total picks: 26. Picks still on roster: 18 (69 percent). Picks who are currently projected starters: 9.

Best player: Center Maurkice Pouncey (first round, 2010). The 18th overall pick three years ago has been named to the Pro Bowl and All-Pro team every season.

Best value: Wide receiver Antonio Brown (sixth round, 2010). Over the past two seasons, Brown has totaled 135 catches for 1,895 yards and seven touchdowns. He is now the go-to receiver after Mike Wallace signed with the Dolphins in free agency.

Biggest disappointment: Linebacker Jason Worilds (second round, 2010). He hasn't been a bust, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being a second-round pick. In 10 career starts, he has four sacks. This is why many project the Steelers taking Jarvis Jones in the first round.
    Last edited by SnakeEyes43; 04-24-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    And the Bengals section does not include Burfict, who was undrafted.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Colbert is a genius! Or is it Tomlin's input that has suddenly made Colbert look stupid?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Colbert is a genius! Or is it Tomlin's input that has suddenly made Colbert look stupid?
    I'm going with Tomlin's input. Maybe dufus should stay home on draft day and work on his cliche's instead of screwing up this team even more.

Past 3 years have been so so, if you do the math that's about the time Tomlin started dabbling!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Past 3 years have been so so, if you do the math that's about the time Tomlin started dabbling!
    I would buy that. The first 3 years of Tomlin's career he still had Cowher's team intact and we didn't need his input. Plus, Colbert and Khan was doing everything possible to keep it together. Now that the rubber has finally met the road we look completely befuddled from the owners, to the front office, to the handling of the cap, to the signing and return of past below average players, to the draft, to the coaching. I've never remembered a time where this team lacked complete direction.

Veteran
    Interesting information. Steelers have the lowest % of draft picks on the roster. I don't know how meaningful that is though. Does that mean the Ravens, for example draft better, or did they start from a crappier roster that low end draft picks were upgrades for them, but for the Steelers they were not. Is there a draft philosophy consideration here as well? Do the Steelers take more chances later in the draft and do other teams go with safer picks?

It would be interesting to see a round by round breakdown or something (rounds 1-3, rounds 4-5, rounds 6-7 groupings) to see if it's more later round people that are being let go, or are there more misses in the higher rounds?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Interesting information. Steelers have the lowest % of draft picks on the roster. I don't know how meaningful that is though. Does that mean the Ravens, for example draft better, or did they start from a crappier roster that low end draft picks were upgrades for them, but for the Steelers they were not. Is there a draft philosophy consideration here as well? Do the Steelers take more chances later in the draft and do other teams go with safer picks?

It would be interesting to see a round by round breakdown or something (rounds 1-3, rounds 4-5, rounds 6-7 groupings) to see if it's more later round people that are being let go, or are there more misses in the higher rounds?
    And you have to almost throw out the Browns/Bengals numbers. There is a big difference between picking in the top 10 of each round every year and picking in the bottom 10. There is a big difference between 5 and 30, 35 and 60, etc. throughout a draft.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Biggest disappointment: Linebacker Jason Worilds (second round, 2010). He hasn't been a bust, but he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being a second-round pick. In 10 career starts, he has four sacks. This is why many project the Steelers taking Jarvis Jones in the first round.

This is his year if JJones isnt drafted.... when did he play??

Running back Montario Hardesty (second round, 2010). The 59th overall pick of the draft three years ago has more career fumbles (three) than touchdowns (one).

Thats what happens when you draft knee problems or known injuries before the draft...

JJones - Lattimore

Thread Information