Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Colbert doesn't see any first year starters:

Bookmark and Share
    he was slated to start at RG from day one though, he took the center spot

All I know is coming off an 8-8 season, everyone on the Steelers outside of Ben should be on watch heading into Club Tomlin....yes, that was a shot at Tomlin's soft training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    All I know is coming off an 8-8 season, everyone on the Steelers outside of Ben should be on watch heading into Club Tomlin....yes, that was a shot at Tomlin's soft training camp.
    wow. Tomlin ran one of the most brutal training camps in the league before the CBA prohibited his standard procedures. Players (specifically cowher ones) hated tomlins training camp for how difficult and grueling it was

2nd String
    As someone likes to say, this is not 1975 football. More importantly, these are not 1975 players. I agree, you play the better players and foster that "the best players will play" behind the scenes. In today's NFL with today's players, a quick way to lose a locker room is to call your veterans out publicly over draft picks whose names we do not even know yet.
    This is silly. No one is saying to "call them out." But coming out and saying no possible rookie, in the entire draft, can possibly be a starter is just retarded and sends the opposite message that this team needs. What, an 8-8 team missing 8 starters can't possibly have a rookie start? That is f-ing retarded. Colbert is a moron.

If the veterans have to hear Colbert say, "You have to earn it" to motivate them, we are already screwed.
    Actually, it's not even him so much needing to say it. What REALLY gets their attention is to let your actions do your speaking. If some big name comes to camp fat again, cut or bench him. THAT is how you get the team to wake up and know they better get serious. Jimmy Johnson and Tuna knew this and acted on it. Chuck Noll also barely said anything of this nature; he let his actions do his speaking. But still, for Colbert to come out and actually say no rookie has a chance of starting is just idiotic.
    The other players who are secure in their positions know and are friends with these guys. And football very much has a "next in line" mentality, where a job is yours until you lose it.
    And you lose it by not performing....such as Woodley last season. Why should they pay a guy 10 million to suck?

And the Flynn example is a poor one. He was not an established veteran on the team.
    Really? He was a veteran. Hadn't played much but he was in the league a few years and they paid him a boatload of $. Do you really think the Steelers, under the exact same circumstances, wouldn't have had Flynn start over a rookie? After they paid him all that money, they would have the balls to admit the rookie was actually the better player? Hellzzz nooooose they wouldn't. No way would the Rooneys have let the rookie start. And before you point to Big Ben's rookie year, an injury forced them to play him; without Maddox going down, Ben wouldn't have seen the field and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    wow. Tomlin ran one of the most brutal training camps in the league before the CBA prohibited his standard procedures. Players (specifically cowher ones) hated tomlins training camp for how difficult and grueling it was
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

wanna blame anyone blame the players association for cutting practices and workouts and really decreasing full contact in pads

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    This is silly. No one is saying to "call them out." But coming out and saying no possible rookie, in the entire draft, can possibly be a starter is just retarded and sends the opposite message that this team needs. What, an 8-8 team missing 8 starters can't possibly have a rookie start? That is f-ing retarded. Colbert is a moron.
    Wow. If he had actually said that he would be a "f-ing retard" and a "moron" but you quite clearly made it up. He said, ""Quite honestly, I don't envision anyone coming in and being an impact player in year one, I never do," Colbert said. "We want to let the players progress at their own pace. Now, if they exceed that, like a [Maurkice] Pouncey or a [Casey] Hampton, great."

In other words, he would LOVE for these guys to come in and start as rookies but does not believe it to be realistic. You instead pretend that Colbert made some unequivocal statement that "no possible rookie in the entire draft can possibly be a starter", which is a gross bastardization of his words.

Actually, it's not even him so much needing to say it. What REALLY gets their attention is to let your actions do your speaking. If some big name comes to camp fat again, cut or bench him. THAT is how you get the team to wake up and know they better get serious. Jimmy Johnson and Tuna knew this and acted on it. Chuck Noll also barely said anything of this nature; he let his actions do his speaking. But still, for Colbert to come out and actually say no rookie has a chance of starting is just idiotic.
    You are great at building straw men of Colbert's positions and then then destroying them. Where you lack is in destroying his ACTUAL position that he does not put the expectation of starting on the rookie draft picks.

And as far as "actions", there have been many. Trading Holmes for being a douche. Cutting Rainey for the same. PUPing Casey when he came in as big as a house. Not letting Wallace blackmail the team for more money than he deserved. Benching Mendy last season (Granted, none of these were unilateral Colbert moves, but such moves seldom are). After many of these actions came the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth from many here.

And you lose it by not performing....such as Woodley last season. Why should they pay a guy 10 million to suck?
    Right, he sucks. A) He would have made 10 million last season regardless. It is not like you can determine if he will "suck" before he plays the season. B) This is exactly what is wrong with so many here. If Colbert had NOT signed him to his second contract, we would be changing a bunch of pi$$y diapers because he would have been another player in his prime that we groomed and let go.

And y'all complain, but what about SOLUTIONS? For the sake of arguendo, let's say you are right and Woodley "sucks." So, are you going to cut him now and go with two brand new starting OLBs this season? What a great solution that would be...

Really? He was a veteran. Hadn't played much but he was in the league a few years and they paid him a boatload of $.
    Read what I said (emphasis added): "He was not an established veteran on the team."

Every word above is true. He was not an "established" veteran on the Seahawks. Debate my arguments instead of making sh!t up.

Do you really think the Steelers, under the exact same circumstances, wouldn't have had Flynn start over a rookie? After they paid him all that money, they would have the balls to admit the rookie was actually the better player? Hellzzz nooooose they wouldn't. No way would the Rooneys have let the rookie start. And before you point to Big Ben's rookie year, an injury forced them to play him; without Maddox going down, Ben wouldn't have seen the field and you know it.
    Again, a poor example. Maddox was an established veteran on the team, where Flynn has roughly zero accomplishments. A better example is Favre/Rodgers, where Rodgers still sat even though he was a better QB than Favre during his last couple of seasons in GB. Not saying it is right or wrong but it is the way the NFL works most times.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    That was only in his first year as coach. He then admitted he "wore them to a nub" and has since lightened up. And, evidence points to him perhaps going too easy as of last year, at least. What coach would put up with the horrid conditioning of Woodley, Dwyer, Hampton? I do believe there will be a correction on that front this year. If not, they are idiots.

2nd String
    Wow. If he had actually said that he would be a "f-ing retard" and a "moron" but you quite clearly made it up. He said, ""Quite honestly, I don't envision anyone coming in and being an impact player in year one, I never do," Colbert said. "We want to let the players progress at their own pace. Now, if they exceed that, like a [Maurkice] Pouncey or a [Casey] Hampton, great."
    Gee, whiz, let's examine what he ACTUALLY SAID, shall we?
    "Quite honestly, I don't envision anyone coming in and being an impact in year one," Colbert said. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur."
    After going 8-8 and losing 8 starters, he is assuming no help will come from any of the rookies this year? That is a moronic statement considering the realities of modern NFL football. Why would one enter the draft ASSUMING none of the player can contribute this season? Just asinine.

In other words, he would LOVE for these guys to come in and start as rookies but does not believe it to be realistic. You instead pretend that Colbert made some unequivocal statement that "no possible rookie in the entire draft can possibly be a starter", which is a gross bastardization of his words.
    Read what he F-ing said. Stop adding your own interpretations of things he did not say.

You are great at building straw men of Colbert's positions and then then destroying them. Where you lack is in destroying his ACTUAL position that he does not put the expectation of starting on the rookie draft picks.
    I posted what he said, word for word. It did NOT include any of your own added, non-stated hidden messages.
    "Quite honestly, I don't envision anyone coming in and being an impact in year one," Colbert said. "I never do because I think there is always a growing process that has to occur."
    Why should you shoot for adding some players who can help fill in some of the holes left by losing EIGHT starters? And let's keep in mind, after losing those 8 starters, let's not forget that this team does virtually NOTHING in free agency, making it even more critical that we find some rookies who can play. GET IT YET?

And as far as "actions", there have been many. Trading Holmes for being a douche. Cutting Rainey for the same. PUPing Casey when he came in as big as a house. Not letting Wallace blackmail the team for more money than he deserved. Benching Mendy last season (Granted, none of these were unilateral Colbert moves, but such moves seldom are). After many of these actions came the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth from many here.
    Reacting to crap is your example of "taking action?" Hmmmm, what action did they take on FATTY FAT Woodely?

Right, he sucks. A) He would have made 10 million last season regardless. It is not like you can determine if he will "suck" before he plays the season. B) This is exactly what is wrong with so many here. If Colbert had NOT signed him to his second contract, we would be changing a bunch of pi$$y diapers because he would have been another player in his prime that we groomed and let go.
    You think Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells or Tom Coughlin would ever be OK with Woodley being such a fat turd? Oh, but the Steelers didn't do anything about it. Just lived with it, like imbeciles.

And y'all complain, but what about SOLUTIONS? For the sake of arguendo, let's say you are right and Woodley "sucks." So, are you going to cut him now and go with two brand new starting OLBs this season? What a great solution that would be...
    No, you DO SOMETHING about it. You don't just let him be all lazy and 25 lbs over weight. You simply DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, like Tuna would.

Read what I said (emphasis added): "He was not an established veteran on the team."
    You are intellectually dishonest. You know damn well that the plan was to play him, but when they saw that the rookie was better, they had the BALLS to make the change, something that the Steelers wouldn't even CONSIDER doing. Just read what Colbert said; how could they possibly shoot for rookies playing when it's not even in their possible options?
    Every word above is true. He was not an "established" veteran on the Seahawks. Debate my arguments instead of making sh!t up.
    Are you being purposely obtuse?

2nd String
    Again, let's address what he actually said, word for word.

In other words, don't expect us to draft ANY players who can help us this year, even though we were 8-8 and lost 8 starters from the 2012 team. Brilliant. That is our leader for getting personnel.

Other teams draft players who help them year one. In Pgh, they don't even consider that a possibility, by design. Brilliant. The shine is quickly fading on this team as far as being a wise team making good decisions. They have become a clust F--k in a short period.

Thread Information