Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert doesn't see any first year starters:

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    Let me get this straight. Colbert says he sees NO rookie who will be worthy of starting. And at the same time, here are our losses from last years team.

#1 LT. Gone.
    #1 LG. Gone.
    #1 WR. Gone.
    #1 RB (slated to be). Gone.
    #1 TE. Likely still hurt.
    #1 OLB. Gone.
    #2 CB. Gone.
    #1 NT. Gone.

8 starting players gone, but Colbert doesn't think any rookie will earn starting time. OK, there, nut job. Maybe with you drafting our players, you might be right, because you have had one decent draft in five years. I guess with you drafting, there won't be any rookies worthy of playing.
    To put it plainly, he lied. To say that we need rookies to come in and start would be a huge slap in the fact to those already here. You may as well tell, McClendon, Worilds, Cotch/Plax, Foster, etc. that "you suck." Not great for the locker room.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    To put it plainly, he lied. To say that we need rookies to come in and start would be a huge slap in the fact to those already here. You may as well tell, McClendon, Worilds, Cotch/Plax, Foster, etc. that "you suck." Not great for the locker room.
    I TOTALLY disagree. When you go 8-8 with a supposed Super Bowl contender, your MESSAGE SHOULD BE: Your job is at risk. You HAVE TO EARN It. It is game on. Obviously, you don't need to send this message to your franchise QB (unless he continues on the trend he is on), but the message to players like Woodley, Plex, Cotch, Worilds, McClendon should absolutely be: We are going to play whoever is the best player; if you are not it, you might find yourself on the bench. You have to earn it. Colbert previously stated that incumbants are not safe, since they went 8-8 and that personnel changes were coming. THAT was the correct message, not this sh-t. Look at what the best coaches in the history of the NFL would indicate. You think Jimmy Johnson or Tuna would be afraid to operate with the "best players will play regardless" message? If the best player ends up being a rookie, then that is who will play. If they draft a Bell or Franklin, you don't think that either would be our best back? IF he is, then he should get the load of carries.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Thank you Ice Cream.

What does Pete Carroll do down in Seattle? Flynn didn't get handed the QB spot just because he got the big contract. He competed and lost out to a guy who was in the beginning slightly better but had a greater upside. And it paid off.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

I TOTALLY disagree. When you go 8-8 with a supposed Super Bowl contender, your MESSAGE SHOULD BE: Your job is at risk. You HAVE TO EARN It. It is game on. Obviously, you don't need to send this message to your franchise QB (unless he continues on the trend he is on), but the message to players like Woodley, Plex, Cotch, Worilds, McClendon should absolutely be: We are going to play whoever is the best player; if you are not it, you might find yourself on the bench. You have to earn it. Colbert previously stated that incumbants are not safe, since they went 8-8 and that personnel changes were coming. THAT was the correct message, not this sh-t. Look at what the best coaches in the history of the NFL would indicate. You think Jimmy Johnson or Tuna would be afraid to operate with the "best players will play regardless" message? If the best player ends up being a rookie, then that is who will play. If they draft a Bell or Franklin, you don't think that either would be our best back? IF he is, then he should get the load of carries.
    Well said, Steelers personnel must play and go through training camp with a sense of urgency. Not really a slap in the face; if you're not doing your job, it's next man up.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Thank you Ice Cream.

What does Pete Carroll do down in Seattle? Flynn didn't get handed the QB spot just because he got the big contract. He competed and lost out to a guy who was in the beginning slightly better but had a greater upside. And it paid off.
    It was a brave move, and the RIGHT move. That is how to successfully manage an NFL team. Have the balls to make the right decision, even if the other guy had been handed a big contract. I gave Carroll and The Hawks major props for making that move. Would that EVER happen in Pgh? I doubt it.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Well said, Steelers personnel must play and go through training camp with a sense of urgency. Not really a slap in the face; if you're not doing your job, it's next man up.
    To me, it's obvious that the Steelers take the patience thing too far, especially in today's game. Yes, let's not be erratic and make knew jerk decisions. But let's not also be afraid to get younger guys on field earlier, even if the powers that be don't feel they made a player wait forever to get a chance. This is something inherent with the Rooneys themselves, or how else do you explain Cowher operating this way for 15 years and then new coach Tomlin, Colbert and Dick also managing in this manner?

Yep also agree good post ICG!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Ditto that.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    As someone likes to say, this is not 1975 football. More importantly, these are not 1975 players. I agree, you play the better players and foster that "the best players will play" behind the scenes. In today's NFL with today's players, a quick way to lose a locker room is to call your veterans out publicly over draft picks whose names we do not even know yet.

If the veterans have to hear Colbert say, "You have to earn it" to motivate them, we are already screwed. The other players who are secure in their positions know and are friends with these guys. And football very much has a "next in line" mentality, where a job is yours until you lose it. If a rookie comes in and takes it through hard work and displays that he is the better player, no one gets pissed. If a veteran is told that a job is the rookie's to lose or that they are on equal footing, teams respond negatively. We knew that Pouncey was the center of the future but Colbert did not vocalize it in April. He let him take the job from Hartwig.

And the Flynn example is a poor one. He was not an established veteran on the team.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Lot of good points, but in the end, Hartwig let Pouncey take his job by his performance on the field - he was often overmatched and got pushed around more often than not.

Thread Information