Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: anybody but Patterson or Jones in the first round is a fail for the Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Another mock draft has the Steelers selecting Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

NFL Network's Mike Mayock opined last week that there is no cornerback worthy of a top-10 selection in the 2013 NFL Draft. At the same time, Mayock bumped Houston's D.J. Hayden ahead of Alabama's Dee Milliner on his cornerback list.

Is Milliner's stock slipping ever so slightly?

SI.com's Peter King hears teams have concerns about Milliner's shoulder following March surgery to repair a torn labrum.

There is now some question as to whether Milliner will be ready for training camp, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"We haven't been able to do the rehab like I want to because I've been going to different teams," Milliner acknowledged. "But once the draft is over, I'll be able to start to rehab it and try to get back on track."

There seems to be a wide range of opinions among NFL teams on Milliner's value. Various outlets have reported the Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons and New York Jets still have him rated as the clear No. 1 cornerback. Other teams believe there's little disparity between Milliner and the eighth-ranked cornerback on their board, according to Draftinsider.net.

It only takes one team convinced of Milliner's talent to make the cornerback a top-10 pick. The Cowboys selected cornerback Morris Claiborne at No. 6 overall last year knowing that wrist surgery would keep him out of offseason practices.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Milliner is top 10. Case closed.

If not, let him slip on down to us at # 17.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

milliner is a bit overrated, i think rhodes is the #1 CB but he'd be horrible for our defense...milliner and trufant would be excellent fits.

Tough to tell where Milliner falls....Kareem Jackson or Dre Kirkpatrick...he has qualities of both (his biggest red flag is the lack of use of his backpedal, a problem that kirkpatrick had. His size and speed combo is ridiculous though. I could see him falling a bit

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    milliner is a bit overrated, i think rhodes is the #1 CB but he'd be horrible for our defense...milliner and trufant would be excellent fits.

Tough to tell where Milliner falls....Kareem Jackson or Dre Kirkpatrick...he has qualities of both (his biggest red flag is the lack of use of his backpedal, a problem that kirkpatrick had. His size and speed combo is ridiculous though. I could see him falling a bit
    Agreed again.

The bottom line is that guys that Man Press/Island Up, are far far far more valuable than zone, off man cover guys... Rhodes is the only elite Man Press in the draft.

BUT...

Milliner is a better fit if we are going to remain super stubborn in our zone/off man schemes. I would hope that if you believed the Rhodes was the next Darrell Revis, you would accomodate his skill set schematically if were lucky enough to draft him.

So Milliner is a better fit, but Rhodes is a far more valuable talent.
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

trufant and amerson would be studs at CB in the steelers off zone coverage. Amerson is a FS on every team, but we have a d that he could play CB on (similar to how i felt about aaron williams, malcolm jenkins, and even kirkpatrick) only amerson has the speed they lacked

Id fear they would be stubborn with rhodes and make him look foolish out there (everyone would be screaming bust in a week if they tried to make him play in the current scheme) but that man does not get beat deep in man coverage and hes brilliant at pressing the man at the line and sticking on his hip....a super rare quality for an athlete of his size

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    trufant and amerson would be studs at CB in the steelers off zone coverage. Amerson is a FS on every team, but we have a d that he could play CB on (similar to how i felt about aaron williams, malcolm jenkins, and even kirkpatrick) only amerson has the speed they lacked

Id fear they would be stubborn with rhodes and make him look foolish out there (everyone would be screaming bust in a week if they tried to make him play in the current scheme) but that man does not get beat deep in man coverage and hes brilliant at pressing the man at the line and sticking on his hip....a super rare quality for an athlete of his size
    That's why he's #2 on my board... he's gonna be a rare one.

It still surprises me that the Steelers haven't gone more press/man... although it should be acknowledged that we see it in certain situations today, where as you almost never saw it 3 years ago.

Especially with the routes and blocking assignments being used today, an elite press/man corner actually improves you pass rush, while zones allow good QBs (of which their are many more today), to simply pick apart your defense with precision routes/passing.

I want nothing to do with Amerson at corner... FS, Deep zones.... sure... but not lining up on the outside and having the discipline to maintain a zone.
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

ive been a ridiculously big fan of rhodes ever since he was a redshirt sophomore and he really tightened up his game the last few years (so did trufant big time)

Rookie Free Agent Steelergolfer59's Avatar

anybody but Patterson or Jones in the first round is a fail for the Steelers

So if we choose Eifert, that would be considered a fail?

i am a big fan of eifert, but if they take him at 17 over Patterson, Jones, Star, Milliner, Rhodes, Warmack, Jordan, Mingo, or Cooper...then yes it is a fail. Thats 9 of the first 17 players and im not including the tackles, DTs, or QBs

Id even argue a case for Hunter and Elam over Eifert at 17

Thread Information