Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Haslam may be asked to step down while investigation continues

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Jimmy Haslam may be asked to step down while investigation continues

Federal allegations of fraud made against Jimmy Haslam’s Pilot Flying J company may imperil his operational control of the Cleveland Browns, according to a source with knowledge of both the legal system and the inner workings of the NFL.
    “This is worse than a dark cloud. This is a funnel cloud,” said the source.
    Haslam was inside the Browns’ facility to sit in on draft meetings on Thursday when details of an alleged fraud scheme that enriched his family’s company were revealed in unsealed documents filed in U.S. District Court in Knoxville, TN.
    The 120-page affidavit, as first reported by The Plain Dealer, summed up a two-year investigation of Haslam’s truck stop and travel center company by the FBI and IRS. The documents, which were used to obtain search and seizure warrants served Monday at company headquarters, charge that Haslam knew company sales executives withheld millions of dollars of rebates owed trucking companies that purchased gas in large volumes from Pilot Flying J.
    After reading the documents, Haslam issued a statement that said in part, “I maintain that the foundation of this company is built on its integrity and that any willful wrongdoing by any employee of this company at any time is intolerable.”
    Haslam pledged to continue to cooperate with the FBI investigation and also to continue his company’s internal investigation of the allegations.
    The NFL has declined to comment.
    The investigation has not resulted in an indictment.
    The source believes the league may ask Haslam to step aside of his own volition and remove himself from operational control of the Browns while the investigation continues. It’s possible that requirement could result in Haslam staying away from the team facility.

Rest of article.http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dacbx?u...m_campaign=nfl

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

LOL what a JOKE!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    I'm tellin ya.....the common denominator in Cleveland, being the professional sports void of the world, is the fans and the media.

Maybe it's voodoo or maybe God just hates Cleveland like everyone else. You could move the Steelers to Cleveland and they would be an instant failure.

Someone is going to be buying the Browns for a great price soon!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Looks like Jimmy and the Browns are probably gonna be parting ways.

One of the most shocking assertions made by the affidavit is that many top executives – including Jimmy Haslam himself – were aware of what the FBI is calling “Discount Fraud.” Here’s a piece of the transcript taken directly from the affidavit. One of the confidential informants is talking with the Vice President of Sales about what to do if a company catches on:
    Confidential Informant: Well what if you can’t talk your way out of it? They figure out a way and they’ve got you nailed?
    VP: You pay up.
    Confidential Informant: Pay it?
    VP: Yeah. Or you buy an airplane.
    Confidential Informant: What does Mark and Jimmy say about **** like that? Do they even catch it or do they know?
    VP: ****in’ A. I mean, I called Jimmy and told him I got busted at Western Express.
    Confidential Informant: What’d he say?
    VP: Oh he knew it.
    Confidential Informant: Oh did he?
    VP: Absolutely. I mean, he knew all along that I was cost-plussin’ this guy. He knew it all along. Loved it. We were makin’ $450,000 a month on him–
    Confidential Informant: Holy s—t!
    VP: – why wouldn’t he love it?
    Confidential Informant: Yeah.
    VP: Did it for five years, cost us a million bucks. I mean, we made $6 million on the guy, cost us a million bucks.

It is also reported that Haslam received several reports sent by email that would have shown the fraud in practice. This is in addition to an email reportedly sent by an employee on January 24th, 2013 that “Jimmy Haslam and John Freeman were looking carefully at every Customer’s profit and loss report and consolidating duplicate entries. [The confidential informant] stated that the increased profit from Rebate Fraud would be clearly evident to Jimmy Haslam and John Freeman.”

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/f-e...m_medium=email

My Mood
    Addicted
    LOL and the new Browns owner is?
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

Fn lot lizards!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    It looks like Goodell's vetting process is a lot harder on players than owners.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted

Question Things heat up for Jimmy Haslam

They have now added RICO to this case. Simple put, this means they can reach farther up the latter. If Jimmy is charged the NFL will most likely force him to sell the team. If this happens does anyone think the Browns could be leaving Cleveland again?

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/pil...3bdef-38383501
    Last edited by steelers4life66; 06-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Can we get a deal on Barkevious Mingo?

Thread Information