Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grading the 2010 draft...three years later.

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

Grading the 2010 draft...three years later.

Hope you guys enjoy this:

To be fair, it takes three years to truly be able to grade an NFL Draft, allowing it to marinate before firing off grades.
    So as we ready for the 2013 NFL Draft, it's a good time to take a look back at the 2010 draft and see how I did evaluating that draft the day after it was concluded and trying to grade it now.

For each of the 32 teams in 2010, I had a Best Pick, Questionable Move and a Third-day Gem. Each team also received a letter grade the day after the draft to sum up all their moves.

It's fun to look back and see how wrong or right I was -- as were most of the analysts doing the immediate grading of these things. That's what makes it so tough, and makes teams so angry and fans venomous.

Just like the teams, I hit some ... and had some big misses.

So here's a look back at the 2010 NFL Draft, using my grading system and letter grades as the barometer.

I encourage you to pop open the original story as a more in-depth reference guide. You can access that with this link.

Arizona Cardinals

2010 Grade: -- B+

The skinny: The Cardinals used their first-round pick on defensive tackle Dan Williams, and then landed linebacker Daryl Washington in the second, receiver Andre Roberts in the third and pass rusher O'Brien Schofield in the fourth. They also got John Skelton late in that draft. That's four starters from that draft, with Washington the best pick of all.

How I did: I gave them props for hitting on Washington in the second round, calling it their best pick. Hit that one. Said Skelton would be a third-day gem. Not bad. And questioned the move to take Schofield because he was coming off an ACL.

Re-grade: B+

Atlanta Falcons

2010 Grade: B-

The skinny: The Falcons landed a star linebacker in Sean Weatherspoon in the first round and got a quality player in Corey Peters in the second. But they didn't get another starter the rest of the way. They drafted two guards, and neither is a projected starter in 2013.

How I did: I questioned the pick of Weatherspoon in the first round. Oops. I said the best pick was guard Mike Johnson in the third, and that hasn't worked out. Not good. I called corner Dominique Franks their third-day gem, and he has been nothing more than a backup.

Re-grade: C

Baltimore Ravens

2010 Grade: A

The skinny: The Ravens didn't have a first-round pick, traded down to pick up extra picks. So they used two second-round picks on Alabama nose tackle Terrance Cody and Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle. Cody hasn't been as good as hoped and Kindle was hurt falling down steps that impacted his career before joining the Ravens. They did land tight ends Ed Dickson (third round) and Dennis Pitta (fourth round). And defensive end Arthur Jones came in the fifth round.

How I did: I liked the pick of Cody, but cautioned he needed to keep his weight in check. The third-day gem was Pitta. I think I hit that one. I questioned the pick of Kindlem which has played out.

Re-grade: B

Buffalo Bills

2010 Grade: C

The skinny: The Bills used their first-round pick on running back C.J. Spiller. He has been a good player, but he hasn't been used enough. The rest of the draft produced no current starters. There are some backups, such as second-round pick Torrell Troup, but little help came from this draft. Arthur Moats and Alex Carrington are backup front-seven players and Marcus Easley is a backup receiver.

How I did: I said Spiller was their best pick, which he has been. So I will take it. I didn't like the pick of Troup in the second round, and that has worked out. I said Levi Brown, a seventh-round QB, was their third-day gem. Not so much.

Re-grade: D

Carolina Panthers

2010 Grade: B+

The skinny: They didn't have a first-round pick, so Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen was their first pick in the second round. That hasn't worked out. Third-round receiver Brandon LaFell has become a solid starter and they hit on fifth-round pick Greg Hardy, a starting defensive end. Receivers Armani Edwards and David Gettis are still on the roster.

How I did: I thought getting Clausen was the best pick. That's a big miss. I did call Hardy as a Third-Day Gem, and made trading the first-round pick for Everette Brown the year before the questionable move. Brown was a bust.

Re-grade: C-

Chicago Bears

The skinny: They didn't pick until the third round. They traded their first-round pick to get Jay Cutler, which has worked out. They traded the second to get Gaines Adams, who passed away before playing a down. They did get a starter in the third round in safety Major Wright and seventh-round pick J'Marcus Webb has been their starting left tackle until they signed Jermon Bushrod this offseason.

How I did: I liked the pick of Corey Wootton in the fourth round and he has been a solid reserve who is expected to start in 2013. I questioned the move to trade for Adams, and thought fifth-round pick Josh Moore had a chance to make an impact and he didn’t.

Re-grade: B- (Cutler factors in)

Cincinnati Bengals

The skinny: They had a draft that helped make them a playoff team. They landed tight end Jermaine Gresham in the first round and defensive end Carlos Dunlap in the second. That's a nice 1-2 punch. But the real hit came in the fourth when they took defensive tackle Geno Atkins, who is now one of the best in the league. That makes this draft special.

How I did: I loved the pick of slot receiver Jordan Shipley, but he blew out a knee and is now in Jacksonville. He flashed before the injury. I said Dunlap would be a feast-or-famine pick. He's been feast. And my third-day gem: Atkins. Nailed that one.

Re-grade: A

Cleveland Browns

The skinny: They landed corner Joe Haden in the first round, which has been a hit. They also took starting safety T.J. Ward in the second and starting right guard Shawn Lauvao in the third. They also got backup running back Monterio Hardesty in the second round.

How I did: I called Haden the best pick, and that worked out. I questioned their decision to pass on Claussen and take Colt McCoy. Both were wrong. The third-day gem was receiver Carlton Mitchell, who didn't work out.

Dallas Cowboys

The skinny: The Cowboys landed Dez Bryant in the first round and got Sean Lee in the second. That's two good starters, although Lee is coming off an injury. Seventh-round pick Sean Lissemore is a backup at nose tackle.

How I did: I liked the move to trade up to get Sean Lee, thought Bryant was a risk -- but only for character issues -- and made Sam Young, a tackle, my third-day gem. He didn't make it with them and is now in Buffalo.

Re-grade: C+

Denver Broncos

2010 Grade: C-

The skinny: This is the draft that the Broncos traded back into the first round to take Tim Tebow. That proved to be a bad decision. But they also picked receive Demaryius Thomas in the first round, and that had paid off. In rounds two and three, they landed starting center J.D. Walton, starting guard Zane Beadles and starting receiver Eric Decker. That's quite a haul.

How I did: I said Walton, taken in the third round, was their best pick and he has been a nice starter, although he was injured last season. Tebow, of course, was the questionable move. I wrote: Why? Why? Why? The third-day gem I picked was corner Perrish Cox. He had ability, but had some off-field issues that hurt him in Denver. He is with San Francisco now.

Re-grade: B (Tebow drags it down from an A).

Detroit Lions

The skinny: The Lions had six picks in the draft, two in the first round, and landed just one definite 2013 starter. That's defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who was taken with the second overall pick. They took running back Jahvid Best with their other first-round pick and concussion issues have plagued him. Fourth-round pick Jason Fox will compete to start at right tackle this season. Third-round safety Amari Spievey has been a starter, but not expected to be this season. Willie Young, one of their seventh-round picks, is a nice backup end.

How I did: I made Suh their best pick, and he has been a good, not great, player. Played well late last season, though. The questionable move was trading back in to get Best, and I referenced his concussion issues there. The third-day gem was Fox, who went in the fourth round.

Green Bay Packers

2010 Grade: C+

The skinny: They had seven picks and landed five potential 2013 projected starters. They are first-round pick Bryan Bulaga, who will start at right tackle. Third-round pick Morgan Burnett is a starting safety and fifth-round pick Marshall Newhouse is the starting left tackle. Sixth-round pick James Starks could also start at running back. Seventh-round pick C.J. Wilson is in the mix at defensive end. Second-round pick Mike Neal is a backup defensive end and fifth-round pick Andrew Quarless is a backup tight end.

How I did: I made Burnett the best pick, and he's been a nice player for a third-round pick. I questioned the pick of Neal in the second round, and since he's a backup that has played true. My third-day gem was Wilson. That's a hit.

Houston Texans

The skinny: The Texans landed three 2013 projected starters in this draft. They were first-round corner Kareem Jackson, third-round nose tackle Earl Mitchell and linebacker fourth-round linebacker Daryl Sharpton. They also landed backup running back Ben Tate in the second round and backup tight end Garrett Graham in the fourth.

How I did: I said Tate was the best pick. He has been decent, but he's still a backup to Arian Foster. I made the questionable move was taking Mitchell in the second round and he has been mostly a backup. I made Sharpton the third-day gem, and he had been a solid player.

Re-grade: B

Indianapolis Colts

The skinny: Bill Polian didn't have a great draft day in 2010. First-round pick Jerry Hughes has been a backup most of his time in Indianapolis. Second-round pick Pat Angerer, who has started in the past, is a backup but could start if he beats out Kavell Conner. Third-round pick Kevin Thomas isn't on the roster. Ouch. Conner, a seventh-round pick, is a starting linebacker and Ricardo Matthews, also taken in the seventh, is a backup defensive end.

How I did: I called Hughes the best pick, and said I loved his pass-rush ability. That's a miss. The questionable move was Polian not taking an offensive tackle in the first round, something that plagued this team for a while. The third-day gem was guard Jacque McClendon, and that didn't pan out.

Re-grade: F

Jacksonville Jaguars

The skinny: They shocked a lot of people by taking defensive tackle Tyson Alualu with the 10th overall pick. He hasn't lived up to that hype, but he has been a solid starter. The rest of the draft brought little. Two players, both backups, remain on the roster other than Alualu. That's why this is a team picking second this year.

How I did: The pick I liked most was third-round defensive tackle D'Anthony Smith. He is still with the team, but had bad injuries that impacted him his first two seasons. I questioned the decision to take Alualu, and that played out. I thought fifth-round pick Austen Lane would be a third-day gem. He has been a part-time starter and is still on the roster.

Kansas City Chiefs

2010 Grade: C-

The skinny: They landed four starters in this draft and two key backups. That's a heck of a haul. They took Eric Berry in the first round, and he is a nice player at safety. In the second, they took running back/receiver Dexter McCluster and corner Javier Arenas. Both have been solid backups with Arenas playing in the nickel. Third-round guard Jon Asamoah is a starter, as is fourth-round tight end Tony Moeaki and fifth-round safety Kendrick Lewis.

How I did: I called Moeaki the best pick and he has been a good player when on the field, but injuries have slowed him some. I questioned the pick of Berry because I didn't think safety was a value position to draft that high. The third-day gem was Lewis, and he has been a nice starter.

Miami Dolphins

The skinny: The Dolphins landed three projected 2013 starters in this draft. First-round pick Jared Odrick has been a good player and second-round pick Koa Misi has also been a decent, if not special, starter at outside linebacker. The big hit was safety Reshad Jones in the fifth round. He is on the verge of being a Pro Bowl player. The also got backup guard John Jerry and backup corner Nolan Carroll, both who have started, in this draft.

How I did: I made Misi the best pick, so that didn't quite work out that way. I questioned their decision to move down and pass on Brandon Graham. They were right. The third-day gem was Jones, and I nailed that one.

Re-grade: B-

Minnesota Vikings

2010 Grade: C+

The skinny: The Vikings didn't have a first-round pick since they traded down to get extra picks. They had two second-round picks, taking corner Chris Cook and running back Toby Gerhart. Cook is a starter, while Gerhart is the top backup to Adrian Peterson. They got backup end Everson Griffen in the fourth round and he is a good rotation backup who flashed late. The rest of the draft produced little.

How I did: I liked the pick of Cook in the second round as their best pick, and it has been. The questionable move was taking Gerhart in large part because he's a slow back. My third-day gem was Griffen.

New England Patriots

The skinny: The Patriots nailed it in this draft. They had 12 picks, and of those 12 players they landed four starters and Aaron Hernandez in that draft. The four starters are safety Devin McCourty (drafted as a corner), tight end Rob Gronkowski, linebacker Brandon Spikes and punter Zoltan Mesko. Getting Gronkowski and Hernandez make this draft. They also landed backups Jermaine Cunningham and Brandon Deadrick.

How I did: My choice for best pick was Gronkowski. I hit that one. My questionable move was taking Spikes, and he has proven to be better than I thought. The third-round gem was Hernandez, which has proved to be true.

New Orleans Saints

The skinny: The Saints had six picks, and the best of them was third-round tight end Jimmy Graham. They took corner Patrick Robinson in the first round, and he started last season but might be a reserve in 2013. Tackle Charles Brown came in the second round, and he has been mostly a backup but could start this season. The rest of the draft produced nothing.

How I did: I made Brown the best pick, and that is a miss. He hasn't come close to being what was expected. I questioned the pick of Robinson, and that has been pretty much spot on. The third-round gem was center Matt Tennant, which was a miss. He is a backup with the Eagles.

New York Giants

The skinny: The Giants had seven picks, but only two are still on the roster. Those two are starting defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and starting defensive tackle Linval Joseph. They hit those two. Third-round pick Chad Jones had a real chance to be a player but he had a serious car accident before ever playing a down for the Giants.

How I did: I made Pierre-Paul their best pick, which has proved to be accurate. I questioned the decision to take linebacker Phillip Dillard in the fourth round, which played out. He was cut and is now with San Diego as a backup. My third-day gem was guard Mitch Petrus, who never lived up to the expectations and is gone.

New York Jets

2010 Grade: B

The skinny: The only player from this draft who is projected to start -- and it's iffy -- in 2013 is guard Vladimir Ducasse. But so far he's been a disappointment. First-round pick Kyle Wilson has been the nickel corner, a role he's handled well, and could be a starter if the team ships Darrelle Revis. Third-round pick Joe McKnight is a backup running back and return man.

How I did: I liked the pick of Wilson to be a nickel corner. The move I questioned was drafting Ducasse, and that has played true. My third-day gem was McKnight and praised his speed and ability to amp up the return game.

Oakland Raiders

The skinny: The Raiders had eight picks in the draft, and three are projected as starters in 2013. They are second-round pick Lamarr Houston, third-round pick Jared Veldheer and fourth-round pick Jacoby Ford. The big miss was first-round pick Rolando McClain, who was released this month and is now with the Ravens. Sixth-round pick Travis Goethel is a backup linebacker.

How I did: I liked the pick of Houston in the second round and he has been a quality starter. I questioned the move to take Veldheer and he has proved that wrong. My third-day gem was corner Walter McFadden, who is no longer with the team.

Philadelphia Eagles

2010 Grade: A+

The skinny: The Eagles had 13 picks. Of those 13, none are projected as starters and seven are with the team as reserves. Some of those have started in the past, but are not expected to do so this season. First-round pick Brandon Graham did flash finally late last season, but he is expected to be a backup on the defensive front this season. Second-round pick Nate Allen has been a disappointment at safety and third-round defensive end Daniel Te'o-Nesheim is now in Tampa.

How I did: I loved the pick of Graham, and injuries limited him early before he started to play well late last season. I questioned the decision to trade Donovan McNabb, but they were right. My third-day gem was fifth-round pick Ricky Sapp, but he never was able to recover from a college knee surgery.

Pittsburgh Steelers

The skinny: The Steelers had 10 picks and five could be starters in 2013. First-round pick Maurkice Pouncey has been a good player at center. They also got outside linebacker Jason Worilds in the second round, and he is projected to start this season. The best picks came in the third and sixth when they landed starting receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. Sixth-round running back Jonathan Dwyer has been a starter at times.

How I did: I liked the pick of linebacker Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round and he is no longer with the team. Miss. I questioned the move to take Sanders when there were better options on the board. Miss. My third-day gem was fifth-round linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and he has been a good special-teams player.

St. Louis Rams

The skinny: The Rams had 11 picks in that draft. Quarterback Sam Bradford was the first overall pick. He is a good player, but still hasn't lived up to what was expected. They took tackle Rodger Saffold in the second round. He will move either to right tackle or guard with the signing of Jake Long. The only other players left on the roster are backups Josh Hull (MLB) and defensive end Eugene Sims.

How I did: I loved the pick of Bradford, and still do. I thought taking corner Jerome Murphy in the third round was a bad move. It was. He is now a backup with the Redskins. And my third-day gem was receiver Mardy Gilyard, but I was wrong. He recently signed with the Chiefs after doing little his first three years.

San Diego Chargers

The skinny: They had six picks, using a first-round pick on running back Ryan Mathews, who hasn't come close to the expectations. They traded up to draft him too. They did land starting linebacker Donald Butler in the third round. Fourth-round pick Darrell Stuckey is a backup safety.

How I did: My choice for best pick was Butler, and that has played out. I questioned the move to trade away picks to move up for Mathews and that has been spot on. My third-day gem was nose tackle Cam Thomas, and he is expected to start this season.

San Francisco 49ers

The skinny: The 49ers had eight picks in the draft, including two first-round picks, and they landed four 2013 starters. Both first-round picks, tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati, have been a big part of the growth of the offensive line. Third-round pick Navorro Bowman is a Pro Bowl linebacker and they added key reserves in running back Anthony Dixon and receiver Kyle Williams.

How I did: I made Iupati the best pick, and he has been a Pro Bowl player. I questioned the decision to take Taylor Mays in the second round, and he is now in Cincinnati. My third-day gem was Dixon, who is a nice backup and good special-teams player.

Seattle Seahawks

The skinny: The Seahawks had two first-round picks and nailed both of them, taking tackle Russell Okung and safety Earl Thomas. Both are good starters. They also got starting safety Kam Chancellor in the fourth round and backups in receiver Golden Tate tight end Anthony McCoy and corner Walter Thurmond. This is the draft that played a big part in Seattle being a playoff team last season.

How I did: My best pick was Tate in the second round, and he has been just OK. I questioned the decision to take Thomas in the first, but only because I thought the value would be more at defensive end. My third-day gem was Thurman.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2010 Grade: A+

The skinny: The Bucs had nine picks and only three will be starters in 2013. They are first-round pick Gerald McCoy, fourth-round receiver Mike Williams and seventh-round fullback Eric Lorig. The rest of the draft produced backups in corner Myron Lewis safety Cody Grimm and linebacker Dekoda Watson. The big misses came in the second round where Brian Price and Arrelius Benn are no longer with the team.

How I did: I liked the choice of Benn as my best pick. Oops. I questioned the pick of Williams, but only because of character concerns, saying he was a big-time talent who could turn into a heck of a player. My third-day gem was Watson, who came in the seventh round and is still with the team.

Re-grade: B-

Tennessee Titans

The skinny: The Titans had nine picks and two are projected to be 2013 starters. That's not very good. The two projected starters are first-round pick Derrick Morgan at defensive end and fourth-round corner Alterraun Verner. That's it. There were way too many misses in this draft. They did get a backup receiver in the third round in Damian Williams and a return man in the seventh in Marc Mariani.

How I did: I loved the pick of Rennie Curran in the third round, and that was proven to be wrong. He isn't with the team anymore and is playing in Canada. My questionable move was Morgan, who I said would be good not great. My pick for the third-day gem was Verner, which I hit.

Washington Redskins

The skinny: They took left tackle Trent Williams in the first round, and he has worked out well. The only other player on the roster is starting inside linebacker Perry Riley. They traded their second-round pick to get Donovan McNabb. That was a bad move.

How I did: I said Williams was the best pick, and that has played true. I questioned the decision to trade the two for McNabb, and that played out. The third-day gem was Riley, who is a nice starter. So I did well here.

Re-grade: C-
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Rookie Free Agent
    Pittsburgh Steelers

But Colbert's an idiot and all our drafts SUUUCCCKKK!

Notice that I was the one who posted this? I"m willing to put other people's opinions. Even if their wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Notice that I was the one who posted this? I"m willing to put other people's opinions. Even if their wrong.
    you did that so you could say this? jesus...

2nd String

The skinny: The Steelers had 10 picks and five could be starters in 2013. First-round pick Maurkice Pouncey has been a good player at center. They also got outside linebacker Jason Worilds in the second round, and he is projected to start this season. The best picks came in the third and sixth when they landed starting receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. Sixth-round running back Jonathan Dwyer has been a starter at times.

How I did: I liked the pick of linebacker Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round and he is no longer with the team. Miss. I questioned the move to take Sanders when there were better options on the board. Miss. My third-day gem was fifth-round linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and he has been a good special-teams player.

Other than last year, which we don't know about yet, 2010 was their only good draft over the last 5 years. Check out 2008 before you start claiming Colbert is such a genius. I don't know how you F up that bad in an entire draft. That was truly pathetic.

Picks: RB Rashard Mendenhall (first round), WR Limas Sweed (second), LB Bruce Davis (third), OT Tony Hills (fourth), QB Dennis Dixon (fifth), LB Mike Humpal (sixth), S Ryan Mundy (sixth)

That wasn't just a bad draft, that was a horrendous draft. Mendy had a few decent year, but he underperformed for what was thought of his physical skills. The ENTIRE rest of the draft was completely waste of time and energy. Way to go Colbert - a blind man could have outdone you in that draft. You would have been far better off by just following Mel Kiper and not even thinking or scouting. God, that was just pathetic. By the way, we are now paying for how lousy that draft was in the here and now.

2010 and 2011 are both good and i love some of the 2012 guys, particularly decastro and adams. Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, and Allen are gonna all be good players, this is their year to shine

2008 and 2009 ended up being so terrible that the last 3 years have been playing catch up from a depth perspective, 7 days is gonna be important too, at least to get 1-2 early impact players

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you did that so you could say this? jesus...
    No I was just responding to his post. I didn't know he would make that type of comment. I'm good but not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    Other than last year, which we don't know about yet, 2010 was their only good draft over the last 5 years. Check out 2008 before you start claiming Colbert is such a genius. I don't know how you F up that bad in an entire draft. That was truly pathetic.

Picks: RB Rashard Mendenhall (first round), WR Limas Sweed (second), LB Bruce Davis (third), OT Tony Hills (fourth), QB Dennis Dixon (fifth), LB Mike Humpal (sixth), S Ryan Mundy (sixth)

That wasn't just a bad draft, that was a horrendous draft. Mendy had a few decent year, but he underperformed for what was thought of his physical skills. The ENTIRE rest of the draft was completely waste of time and energy. Way to go Colbert - a blind man could have outdone you in that draft. You would have been far better off by just following Mel Kiper and not even thinking or scouting. God, that was just pathetic. By the way, we are now paying for how lousy that draft was in the here and now.
    Ice Cream, there are some serious Colbert lovers in here. That's okay. I get it.

Some people are content to sit in the dark of the present and relish in the light of the past years of success.

Colbert has been a cornball for the most part in recent years. And it's time for him to come up with a big draft. Big being he adequately addresses at least 3 need areas. I don't think that's asking for too much.

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    the Raiders a A???? lol might as well throw throw the list out just for that reason.

Thread Information