Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My draft strategy

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

My draft strategy

First off, if Amobi Okoye is available its a no brainer he's my number one pick. After saying that I don't think he will be. There are 14 teams picking ahead of us and I believe that Okoye goes in the top 10. There is not a more disruptive defensive player in this draft and then there is his upside. He wasn't just a disruptive force because of a scheme that the Cardinals ran. He was the standout defensive player in the whole senior bowl week including the game (2 sacks). So I am thinking he will be gone. If so I am looking to trade down to get value for my pick. I trade my 15th pick to another team who is 20th or lower in exchange for their 1st round spot plus their 2nd! Surely their would be takers (always is)! With my lower 1st round pick I am selecting Anthony Spencer DE/OLB from Purdue. The kid is good, he fits my system and has been projectd as a low 1st high 2nd round pick. I think we can all agree that this is our need and he is a good fit!

1. Anthony Spencer DE/OLB from Purdue (22nd pick from Dallas +54th pick)
    2. Ben Grubbs OG from Auburn (2nd Rnd 47th pick)

Grubbs is a horse and scouting reports are good (Athletic. Great at pulling and trapping. (late-Round 1 or early-Round 2). With Grubbs adding depth at the guard position any position moves to shore up the center position can be made more easily! With 2 solid position players that address needs already in my bag, its time to go get me a RB. With the 54th pick (aquired from Dallas) I am looking Brian Leonard RB from Rutgers. He is one of those versatile blue collar guys who could play TB/FB and be a beast on special teams. Pittsburghers would fall in love with this guy!

2b. Brian Leonard RB from Rutgers (54th pick aquired from Dallas)
    3. Tony Hunt RB from Penn State (79th pick)

Hunt has shown that he runs well going north/south with plenty of power. Good bye Verron Haynes, our new utility short yardage back is here! The last time we took a back from Penn State things worked out pretty well for us (Franco Harris). Taking 2 backs and dumping Haynes solidifies the position should somebody go down with an injury!

4. Eric Weddle DB from Utah (111th pick)

Here is the scouting line on Weddle: Consummate playmaker. Versatile. Tough. Instinctive. (Round 3 or 4) Sounds like a guy we could use! Special teams and dime packages, can never be too deep at DB!

Wow! What a draft so far in the 1st day! I don't believe any of these picks to be stretches.

Day 2: I would seriously draft a punter with the 5th pick and there are a couple good ones out there! Podlesh out of Maryland and Sepulveda out of Baylor. Either one would be a fine replacement for Gardocki! With my 6th pick I would look for a 3rd QB. Maybe Palko is still available here. With the 7th pick I am looking for a Wedge busting LB for special teams and I would round out the 2007 draft by selecting a place kicker to give Reed a little competition in spring training!

If our 2007 draft looked anything like this I would be happy going into next season with a pretty solid team! Comments?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Why Do we need 2 Rbs in the Draft we only need one

Gold Standard

Because we are replacing 2

Verron Haynes and Najeh Davenport.......see ya! Najeh is big but he is not the power runner people make him out to be. Najeh is a big tailback that tries to make people miss and avoids contact. Both Leonard and Hunt are tough guys who like to punish defenses! One is a pure tailback (Hunt) and Leonard is being projected as a fullback with skills! Both could contribute in our offense as well as our special teams! Either one could be good options on a 3rd and goal or a 4th and inches. Plus this injects youth and speed at skill positions! IMO

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I like what I've been reading about Hunt. Hes got the power and something in the tank to get to the corner. He ran over LBers Willis, Buster Davis and Rufus Alexander in the Senior Bowl. I'd like to see us get him, don't know if he'll last till the 3rd rd.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I would be suprised if 78 people were selected before Tony Hunt, but it's hard to say where anyone will go before the Combine and I'm also bias being a PSU fan.

More importantly, I don't think a team would trade a first and a second to move up seven spots mid-round. For example last year the Steelers gave the Giants a 3rd and a 4th in exchange for a flop of number ones moving the Steelers up seven spots. In the trade to move up and get Polamalu they gave up a 3rd and a 6th to move up eleven spots.

According to the "Draft Pick Value Chart" your trade is a possibility... I would be happy with just a couple of the players you have.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    First off, if Amobi Okoye is available its a no brainer he's my number one pick. After saying that I don't think he will be. There are 14 teams picking ahead of us and I believe that Okoye goes in the top 10. There is not a more disruptive defensive player in this draft and then there is his upside. He wasn't just a disruptive force because of a scheme that the Cardinals ran. He was the standout defensive player in the whole senior bowl week including the game (2 sacks). So I am thinking he will be gone. If so I am looking to trade down to get value for my pick. I trade my 15th pick to another team who is 20th or lower in exchange for their 1st round spot plus their 2nd! Surely their would be takers (always is)! With my lower 1st round pick I am selecting Anthony Spencer DE/OLB from Purdue. The kid is good, he fits my system and has been projectd as a low 1st high 2nd round pick. I think we can all agree that this is our need and he is a good fit!

1. Anthony Spencer DE/OLB from Purdue (22nd pick from Dallas +54th pick)
    2. Ben Grubbs OG from Auburn (2nd Rnd 47th pick)

Grubbs is a horse and scouting reports are good (Athletic. Great at pulling and trapping. (late-Round 1 or early-Round 2). With Grubbs adding depth at the guard position any position moves to shore up the center position can be made more easily! With 2 solid position players that address needs already in my bag, its time to go get me a RB. With the 54th pick (aquired from Dallas) I am looking Brian Leonard RB from Rutgers. He is one of those versatile blue collar guys who could play TB/FB and be a beast on special teams. Pittsburghers would fall in love with this guy!

2b. Brian Leonard RB from Rutgers (54th pick aquired from Dallas)
    3. Tony Hunt RB from Penn State (79th pick)

Hunt has shown that he runs well going north/south with plenty of power. Good bye Verron Haynes, our new utility short yardage back is here! The last time we took a back from Penn State things worked out pretty well for us (Franco Harris). Taking 2 backs and dumping Haynes solidifies the position should somebody go down with an injury!

4. Eric Weddle DB from Utah (111th pick)

Here is the scouting line on Weddle: Consummate playmaker. Versatile. Tough. Instinctive. (Round 3 or 4) Sounds like a guy we could use! Special teams and dime packages, can never be too deep at DB!

Wow! What a draft so far in the 1st day! I don't believe any of these picks to be stretches.

Day 2: I would seriously draft a punter with the 5th pick and there are a couple good ones out there! Podlesh out of Maryland and Sepulveda out of Baylor. Either one would be a fine replacement for Gardocki! With my 6th pick I would look for a 3rd QB. Maybe Palko is still available here. With the 7th pick I am looking for a Wedge busting LB for special teams and I would round out the 2007 draft by selecting a place kicker to give Reed a little competition in spring training!

If our 2007 draft looked anything like this I would be happy going into next season with a pretty solid team! Comments?

I want either Okoye or Spencer in the first round. You're right about trading down if Okoye isn't there. I would be happy with either Leonard or Hunt. But both. Ok I'm down. I like the Eric Weddle pick. But I don't think he will last to the 4th round. His stock has been improving as of late. But I really like this draft and if this is how the Steelers draft went down then I would be stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Verron Haynes and Najeh Davenport.......see ya! Najeh is big but he is not the power runner people make him out to be. Najeh is a big tailback that tries to make people miss and avoids contact. Both Leonard and Hunt are tough guys who like to punish defenses! One is a pure tailback (Hunt) and Leonard is being projected as a fullback with skills! Both could contribute in our offense as well as our special teams! Either one could be good options on a 3rd and goal or a 4th and inches. Plus this injects youth and speed at skill positions! IMO

the only reason that is happening is because hes white, hes a runningback, he wants to be a runningback and hes a good one.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I see your point of view; but remember back when Jerome came to us in the draft? We had a shot take Alstott in the first round but remember what the Rooney's, Colbert, and Cowher said... We are a running team first, that's what we do, and as good a player as Alstott is, it doesnt make sense to trust the bread and butter of your team to an unproven rookie. Those weren't there exact words but that was the basic thought process.

Yes we have Willie; but if God forbid he goes down do you really want unproven players having to step up in the role right off the bat? I sure don't. I definitely want us to take 1 RB in this draft, on day 2 or 3rd round as the earliest because spending a premium pick on one is usually not necessary unless it's your absolute must have need player. With our needs at OL, LB, DE, we should focus on that IMO

I agree to an extent, but i dont think oline is that much a obvious need, so we get something we do need, a runningback. I love willie, hes the man and he did great last year, BUT i dont think hes an every down back, and even if he could be i dont want him to be, he needs to stay fresh. And willie can wear down a defense, and neither can najeh. I really want bush, leonard or hunt. 32 has cemented my first round pick on spencer, but i think runningback needs to be addressed early on since we dont have any GAPING holes in our roster and around the second round is where we could get a stud runningback and if you wouldnt want one of those guys your nuts, being a running team we need runningbacks.

Willie+(bush/leonard/hunt)+najeh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>willie+najeh

And with a new coach...who knows how tomlin is gonna go about the draft, he might wanna change something completely different, and who knows how he feels about willies durability or about najeh in general....he might cut him because he used to be a packer lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I agree, Tomlin may very well change the way we draft even with Colbert still being there so it's anybody's guess as to who we'll take, when and why we'll take them.

I can see you're point about taking a back early on, and I can bb4vr's point too; Im just not sure the need to take one even as good as they are is there enough in the first round when good RB's always fall to day 2; which can make them even more hungry to be better players.

Thread Information