Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Super Bowl Linebackers: #1 Jack Lambert

Bookmark and Share

Top Super Bowl Linebackers: #1 Jack Lambert

Congratulations to Jack Lambert... tell me something we didn't know already...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.10.html

Why didn't they just say best ever??

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Who is this Jack Lambert guy anyway??

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hell yeah, there is none more deserving than Lambert. Everytime you see a highlight video of this guy he was all Steelers through and through; and as intense a player and anybody who has ever played this game!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Lambert is Da Man!!!!! Always was, always will be!!!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Who else? No one played that position like Jack, and all the bigger he was, it's just unbelievable that he did the things he did. I've watched some old footage...talk about bone crushing hits! Makes ME cringe, and I'm not even the one on the other end of it lol

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Lambert was a Monster and I'm glad he played for the Steelers
    But many would argue that Dick Butkus was the meanest, nastiest, fiercest linebacker to ever put on a helmet. To bad he never played in a SB
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    could you imagine those 2 on the same team !! Talk about tough !!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    could you imagine those 2 on the same team !! Talk about tough !!
    My God, Teams would be tremble when it came time to play us

It is possible that Dick Butkus was the meanest, nastiest, fiercest linebacker to ever put on a helmet. More than a quarter of a century after his retirement, there remains the Butkus image: the middle linebacker wrapping up a running back and viciously slamming him to the ground like an unwanted toy. There is also the famous photograph of No. 51 with his lips curled in contempt taken during a game in 1968.
    After being a two-time All-American at Illinois, where he played center as well as linebacker, Butkus terrorized NFL offenses as the hub of the Chicago Bears' defense. The man who lived for contact was all-NFL seven times and played in the Pro Bowl eight times in a career cut short to nine years by knee injuries. In 1970, a panel of NFL coaches voted Butkus the player they would start with if they were building a new team from scratch.
    He had the speed and quickness to make tackles from sideline to sideline and to cover tight ends and running backs on pass plays. He had instinct, strength, leadership and -- perhaps most important -- anger.
    "When I went out on the field to warm up, I would manufacture things to make me mad," Butkus said. "If someone on the other team was laughing, I'd pretend he was laughing at me or the Bears. I'd find something to get mad about. It always worked for me."
    Teammates and opponents alike marveled at Butkus' ferocity. He intimidated players like nobody else. "If I had a choice, I'd sooner go one-on-one with a grizzly bear," former Green Bay Packers running back MacArthur Lane said. "I prayed that I could get up every time Butkus hit me."
    The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder also had, as they say, a nose for the ball. He set a team record by recovering six fumbles as a rookie. When he retired after the 1973 season, he owned the NFL record for opponents' fumbles recovered with 25. Cont...http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014131.html
    I got to give props. He was a mad man of his time.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Gold Standard

Old footage of Butkus

I saw one of those NFL shows that highlighted Dick Butkus's career and without a doubt this is the #1 linebacker of all time! I am a huge Lambert fan but I would still rank Lawrence Taylor ahead of Jack as well. Lambert played on a better defensive unit. LT changed games almost single handedly! I would rank those as the top 3 for sure. I know that this may cause some raised eyebrows amongst Steeler faithful! Especially since LT had the drug problems throughout his career. On the field LT was a madman and defensively he dominated a decade on a defense that was not a "Steel Curtain". Anyway, I saw a clip of Butkus where he chased a RB up into the bleachers to tackle him! In todays game that would be a 4-6 game suspension at least. I don't think that there was ever a player more feared than DB! He readily admits he played to hurt people! Mike Singletary would be my 4th on my all time list!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

congrats to Lambert....he definately deserves it!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information