Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The First Three Rounds

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

The First Three Rounds

Definitely we have to not have any misfires ala Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Scott Shields in this draft or any for that matter. For a team relies on building via the draft and only dabbling In FA as an absolute necessity our drafts much get better than the more recent ones and I think the first 3 rounds this year are paramount.Barring a trade back for more picks, I see the following as distinct possibilities:

1.) Jonathan Cooper, OG, NC State - perhaps the second best guard in the draft after Womack, this pick solidifies the interior line for the foreseeable future. Not only does it protect Ben, it helps him step up in the pocket and immediately improves not only the passing game, but the running game as well. The only other selection I see here is Kenny Vacaro, Safety, Texas, but he may be long gone by this pick in round 1.

2.) It will be LB in this round and the Steelers are very high on John Simon, OSU. This kid is a Harrison clone and has a motor that doesn't stop. An excellent edge rusher this is a marriage made in heaven. Couple that with OSU running a s similar defense as the Steelers and OMD, the learning curve could be short. This also allows Worilds to be moved inside when Simon is ready. If Simon is gone (I think he will be here) the pick will be Minter, LB, LSU.

3.) No doubt our running game is in shambles, we go RB here and the Steelers are in love with Le'Veon Bell, MSU. Decent size and speed, plus very versatile and high character, this kid is a Steeler to the corp.

The remaining picks we will see S, WR, and perhaps OL depth. I see them selecting Hin
    Last edited by ChucktownSteeler; 03-31-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fix typo

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Cooper probably will be better then DeCastro in the NFL but noway I want the Steelers taking an OG for the 2nd straight year in the first round.....I would also be pissed if they drafted a very over-rated Kenny Vaccaro...........

I would also be very pissed if they drafted a project like John Simon in the 2nd round.....Way to high for a project and from what I hear Simon doesn't even look he can make the transition to 3-4 OLB.....He screams Alonzo Jackson to me.......

I guess I wouldn't mind Bell but there is other RB's that I prefer.......

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Cooper probably will be better then DeCastro in the NFL but noway I want the Steelers taking an OG for the 2nd straight year in the first round.....I would also be pissed if they drafted a very over-rated Kenny Vaccaro...........

I would also be very pissed if they drafted a project like John Simon in the 2nd round.....Way to high for a project and from what I hear Simon doesn't even look he can make the transition to 3-4 OLB.....He screams Alonzo Jackson to me.......

I guess I wouldn't mind Bell but there is other RB's that I prefer.......
    cooper wont even be better than warmack. I dont think your giving decastro enough credit, hes going to be such a stud. I would love cooper as a LG though, and warmack. I dont have a problem with them investing one more high pick on the line, its like the final piece to the puzzle

Simon is ok, i do think hes a lock to be a steelers....but gibson was a better prospect and played in the same defense and he couldnt catch on :-(

simon has his work cut out for him...i get that they are really high on him, but hes a 5th round caliber player that might go as high as the second just so they get their guy. Thats risky drafting, id be much more comfortable with him in the 4th

Bell is meh, cant say i love it but he can be a really good player. Just cant say id be too excited. Big guys like him come and go...Humes, Tony Hunt, Kevan Barlow are all guys that were kinda like Bell in college

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    cooper wont even be better than warmack. I dont think your giving decastro enough credit, hes going to be such a stud. I would love cooper as a LG though, and warmack. I dont have a problem with them investing one more high pick on the line, its like the final piece to the puzzle

Simon is ok, i do think hes a lock to be a steelers....but gibson was a better prospect and played in the same defense and he couldnt catch on :-(

simon has his work cut out for him...i get that they are really high on him, but hes a 5th round caliber player that might go as high as the second just so they get their guy. Thats risky drafting, id be much more comfortable with him in the 4th

Bell is meh, cant say i love it but he can be a really good player. Just cant say id be too excited. Big guys like him come and go...Humes, Tony Hunt, Kevan Barlow are all guys that were kinda like Bell in college
    I love DeCastro so don't know why I need to give him enough credit.....I just think Cooper is going to be stud and could be even better then Warmack......If the Steelers feel they can't compete for a Super Bowl in 2013 then by all means add the last piece to the OL puzzle......But if they feel the still can compete for the Lombardi then add a player-maker to the offense in the first round...You know what I'm saying....

I'm not thrilled with Simon at all especially in the 2nd....Yea 4th-5th round wouldn't be so bad for Simon but you don't take a project like Simon in the 2nd.....Just so Alonzo Jackson to me.....

I feel the same way about Bell......

Rookie Free Agent
    Steeler fans should pray Cooper lasts to pick 17. If he is gone Chance Warmack is a great consolation prize.

I think the Steelers prefer Cooper over Warmack for two reasons, his versatility and better fit for the zone blocking scheme. Adding Cooper on the roster will save a roster spot. They won't have to keep a backup center on the roster with his ability to play both guard and center. Foster can backup at both guard spots and RT, Beachum can backup both guard spots and RT. All they would have to do is sign/draft a backup LT/RT (maybe Starks) to fill out the roster.

Having a young nucleaus of Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams and Cooper (all are 23 years old) is a potentially dominating young offensive line for years to come.
    Last edited by Reg3835; 04-01-2013 at 06:15 AM.

My Mood
    Manic
    IF WE TAKE AN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE FIRST ROUND IT SHOULD BE BARRETT JONES HE CAN PLAY LT AND EVERY POSITION ON THE LINE

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    IF WE TAKE AN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE FIRST ROUND IT SHOULD BE BARRETT JONES HE CAN PLAY LT AND EVERY POSITION ON THE LINE
    barrett jones cannot play LT...he can play LG, C, RG, and even RT but hes no LT. Hes coming off a lisfranc injury...second round at best for me. But a real good player, still the 3rd best bama lineman and the 3rd/4th/5th best interior lineman

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    barrett jones cannot play LT...he can play LG, C, RG, and even RT but hes no LT. Hes coming off a lisfranc injury...second round at best for me. But a real good player, still the 3rd best bama lineman and the 3rd/4th/5th best interior lineman
    Jones is exactly why I wouldn't want another OG in the first round......Jones won't be as good as Cooper or Warmack but still will be a very good player......Plus he can play every interior line position......

IMO We need an instant playmaker in the first round, WR for me please!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Waterboy

Steeles Need Offensive Strength!

Your picks are right on the money. Can't say I know Simon; but Minter--even Brown in the second would be a solid way to go. For those who forget: Bell runs one of the fastest 40s (4.5) with the highest power running score of all backs in the field for which we have data. You can stick your hand in the mid-round WR pool and pick out a good, tall receiver with no trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Definitely we have to not have any misfires ala Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Scott Shields in this draft or any for that matter. For a team relies on building via the draft and only dabbling In FA as an absolute necessity our drafts much get better than the more recent ones and I think the first 3 rounds this year are paramount.Barring a trade back for more picks, I see the following as distinct possibilities:

1.) Jonathan Cooper, OG, NC State - perhaps the second best guard in the draft after Womack, this pick solidifies the interior line for the foreseeable future. Not only does it protect Ben, it helps him step up in the pocket and immediately improves not only the passing game, but the running game as well. The only other selection I see here is Kenny Vacaro, Safety, Texas, but he may be long gone by this pick in round 1.

2.) It will be LB in this round and the Steelers are very high on John Simon, OSU. This kid is a Harrison clone and has a motor that doesn't stop. An excellent edge rusher this is a marriage made in heaven. Couple that with OSU running a s similar defense as the Steelers and OMD, the learning curve could be short. This also allows Worilds to be moved inside when Simon is ready. If Simon is gone (I think he will be here) the pick will be Minter, LB, LSU.

3.) No doubt our running game is in shambles, we go RB here and the Steelers are in love with Le'Veon Bell, MSU. Decent size and speed, plus very versatile and high character, this kid is a Steeler to the corp.

The remaining picks we will see S, WR, and perhaps OL depth. I see them selecting Hin

Thread Information