Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't a big, fast back work in Haley's system?

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Love the points that both K-train and ice cream are making. I just hope our front office is debating this just as hard. Because we need to see a plan on draft day.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    If you're going strictly on thread titles then you're right. But based on the conversation going on in the threads, not so much. In the other thread, outside of your original post, all you did was pimp bell and post his highlight video... Which is mostly what you've done here, with the addition of the Mendenhall ****. Not sure my post deserved the condescension, but it's cool.

This forum just gets so cluttered with redundant **** that could easily fit into another thread.
    It's cool. I guess I just over-react a bit when people post so much about "why did another thread need started" as much as people do start too many similar threads. Both can be tedious. But, I do not totally agree that "all I did" was pimp Bell in the "Let's talk RB draft" thread as I commented on more than just him and spoke a good deal about Lacy. Now, am I most excited about Bell? Yes. But it's not as if I said taking any other back would be a mistake. I specifically mentioned others who, taken in the right round, I would be pleases with.

But you are right: Personally I am most excited about Bell, giving it the eye test. I mean, I am going to exaggerate to make a point, OK? Tell me what system Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders or Walter Payton "would not fit?" I don't care what system you are running (other than maybe something super extreme, such as the run and shoot and even then I would argue those backs would still be great. I do recall Lorenzo White, Alonzo Highsmith and Chris Brown - all big backs - doing fine in Houston Oiler's run and shoot, but I digress.)

Any how, I see Bell as hell on wheels, and with the size to give Ds real head aches. But time will tell.

Sorry if I came off a little too demented.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    As an offensive coach for over 5 years now in a ZBS. Zone is more about the continuity of the OL rather that which type of back. In our system weve had 1000 yard rushers from both big guys and lil quick guys. (granted im not in the NFL but) The bottom line is if the likes of Meachum and Legs are getting PT no one can be successful behind them.

FYI, Dwyer ran in a zone scheme at GT. I think Dwyer could be a 1000 yard back in the NFL. Just not sure if he could be a 1200 10 TD guy... In all honesty I personally see Dwyer as a Hell-ova #2 RB. Now if we only had a #1.

IMO a Bradshaw & Dwyer would compliment each other very well... just saying.
    I was a bigger Dwyer cheerleader than I have been for Bell so far. I was telling anyone who would listen: Watch Dwyer; he is going to be the Steelers best back." Well, he actually was, all things considered, but I didn't realize he would remain so lazy and ask to be taken out of the game every time he had two consecutive runs. He has the talent. And, this year, he is playing for a new contract, so IF EVER he was going to put in more consistent effort, it's this year. So it's possible he really turns it on (and even if he does go for 1,300 yards, I don't want them to give him a big contract because if there was ever a player who will just quit after he gets a chunk of change, it's JD.)

Any how, I am a big believer is JD's skill, just not his head or drive.

But I agree he could at least be a heck of a #2.

Bradshaw? I have always thought he was underrated, but as someone else said, his foot seems like it's made of crackers. I am anxious for a hungry, young back from the draft. I want a hungry 22 year-old who runs with crazy legs.

me too. I think Dwyer could thrive in a ZBS. But I do understand why everyone wants to draft another RB. Especially when Dwyer didn't come in to camp in the shape we expected.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    me too. I think Dwyer could thrive in a ZBS. But I do understand why everyone wants to draft another RB. Especially when Dwyer didn't come in to camp in the shape we expected.
    You know what's funny? He _DID_ come into camp in better shape than the two previous seasons. He was even saying the right things, such as "I know it's my job to get into shape and no one else's." So I was really expecting good things. But then, it happened. After starting to get some carries in the season, he looked like he kept getting in WORSE shape; I didn't expect that. Instead of "Playing his way into better shape" he looked like he got fatter as the season went on, and he certainly didn't get in better wind shape, as he kept raising his hand every time he had two consecutive carries. Unreal.

Well, I'm real curious to see how he comes to camp now.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well, I'm real curious to see how he comes to camp now.
    IMHO, if Dwyer has a weight/ condoning problem at his age (23 I think), in 2 to 3 years he is going to look like Refrigerator Perry. Hey, you either have the workout ethic or you don't. I am not sold on 2-down Dwyer.

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    IMHO, if Dwyer has a weight/ condoning problem at his age (23 I think), in 2 to 3 years he is going to look like Refrigerator Perry. Hey, you either have the workout ethic or you don't. I am not sold on 2-down Dwyer.
    I agree. My only last hope is that IF EVER he was going to put in some effort to get in shape...if EVER...it would be this year, since he is in his last year of his contract. He is still relatively young, so he _could_ grow up a bit this year. But even if he does, I would not re-sign him after this year no matter what, as he is very likely to get lazy again if he does get a big pay day. Remember Barry "Bananas" Foster? He was never nearly as lazy as this kid but once he got his big deal, he never again was able to do what was needed to play good ball ever again. I am just hoping for ONE Year out of JD and to be developing a rookie for next year in the mean time. Bell or Lacy. Maybe Ball.

I've gone and looked at some film on Bell. And he is impressive.

2nd String
    I've gone and looked at some film on Bell. And he is impressive.
    And it's not like was running behind AL's O line. MSU isn't chopped liver, but they don't have the talent AL has on their O line either. But Bell did that well. Size, burst, speed, flexibility. I like him a lot.

Thread Information