Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Why can't a big, fast back work in Haley's system?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506

    Why can't a big, fast back work in Haley's system?

    Some of you have stated that drafting the 230 lb running back Bell would not fit with Haley's offense. I don't understand why he wouldn't. Maybe if he was a slow, plodding back he wouldn't, but he isn't. He has a nice burst and is quite agile for a back with that size. He can also catch. He had 1793 yards rushing and 32 catches last season. As I look at this guy rushing, I can't think of what offense couldn't work with this guy being the work horse. Explain why he can't work in Haley's offense.

    Also, some have said Mendenhall would be a great back in Haley's system? Why? He is soft, he fumbles, he stutter steps and spins to often. I see no reason why he would excel in Haley's, or any, system, for that matter. I am so glad that moron is off the roster. He is simply a loser. He never came close to being the back we all thought he would be coming out of college.


  2. #2
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    19,005
    bell is reminiscent of michael bush in his louisville pre-broken leg days. not that he isnt a good back, he is. its just tough to get a grasp on what they want to do on offense....small WRs and a big bruising back and a coach that likes big WRs and a ZBS

    a problem with these kind of backs too is its more likely that you get tony hunt or cedric humes than a superstar

    and mendenhall is not a big fumbler, and hes not really soft...but he would be a good fit for haleys offense, and he showed that against the eagles fresh off of injury he looked awesome, and his pass catching ability would be welcomed. But it wasnt meant to be

  3. #3
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,831
    This needed a new thread? Couldn't continue this talk in the other thread?

  4. #4
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    bell is reminiscent of michael bush in his louisville pre-broken leg days. not that he isnt a good back, he is. its just tough to get a grasp on what they want to do on offense....small WRs and a big bruising back and a coach that likes big WRs and a ZBS

    a problem with these kind of backs too is its more likely that you get tony hunt or cedric humes than a superstar

    and mendenhall is not a big fumbler, and hes not really soft...but he would be a good fit for haleys offense, and he showed that against the eagles fresh off of injury he looked awesome, and his pass catching ability would be welcomed. But it wasnt meant to be
    I don't think Tony Hunt or Humes ran a 4.5 forty. Yes, I know, there is far to being a good player than a 40 time, but even with the eye test, Bell is pretty dang gone fast - those other guys were not. OK, I just looked it up, Hunt ran a 4.66. Not a giant difference but enough of one. And the best test to me, is production. Bell put up 1,792 yard rushing last season. Hunt's best year was 1,386. Again, not a huge difference, but somewhat of one. Something tells me Pgh is hankering to get back to a big back....whether it is Rooney's desire, or him reacting to what he perceives the fans want, or both. With all the brass they sent to this dude's pro day, it tells me they are definitely interested and I am excited to see what he can do wearing the black and gold.

  5. #5
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    This needed a new thread? Couldn't continue this talk in the other thread?
    I thought it was a different enough of a subject. The other was purely on what back we should draft. This subject is on "Why can't a big back work in Haley's system." You don't perceive a difference in those two subject matters?

    1. What running back should we draft?

    2. Why can't a big back work in Haley's offense?

    I see a distinct difference in those two subjects. Can you not grasp the difference?

  6. #6
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    19,005
    keep in mind they took cousins out to dinner too...its part of the process. cant make a big deal of the visit, it happens a lot. For all we know they were checking out william gholsten or dion simms

  7. #7
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ice cream glove View Post
    I thought it was a different enough of a subject. The other was purely on what back we should draft. This subject is on "Why can't a big back work in Haley's system." You don't perceive a difference in those two subject matters?

    1. What running back should we draft?

    2. Why can't a big back work in Haley's offense?

    I see a distinct difference in those two subjects. Can you not grasp the difference?
    If you're going strictly on thread titles then you're right. But based on the conversation going on in the threads, not so much. In the other thread, outside of your original post, all you did was pimp bell and post his highlight video... Which is mostly what you've done here, with the addition of the Mendenhall ****. Not sure my post deserved the condescension, but it's cool.

    This forum just gets so cluttered with redundant **** that could easily fit into another thread.

  8. #8
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    keep in mind they took cousins out to dinner too...its part of the process. cant make a big deal of the visit, it happens a lot. For all we know they were checking out william gholsten or dion simms
    Yea, you're right; I know they spend time with players who they may not draft. With Cousins, they might have been considering him if he fell later. I believe the Skins took him in the 4th. Had he fallen to the 5th or 6th maybe Pgh would have picked him. But with Bell, the fact that KC, MT and two others were there makes me think there is real interest. Maybe I am just wishful thinking.

  9. #9
    @CoachZach_ Zachintosh66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Toledo, Oh
    Posts
    6,993
    My Mood
    Addicted

    My Social Networks

    Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    As an offensive coach for over 5 years now in a ZBS. Zone is more about the continuity of the OL rather that which type of back. In our system weve had 1000 yard rushers from both big guys and lil quick guys. (granted im not in the NFL but) The bottom line is if the likes of Meachum and Legs are getting PT no one can be successful behind them.

    FYI, Dwyer ran in a zone scheme at GT. I think Dwyer could be a 1000 yard back in the NFL. Just not sure if he could be a 1200 10 TD guy... In all honesty I personally see Dwyer as a Hell-ova #2 RB. Now if we only had a #1.

    IMO a Bradshaw & Dwyer would compliment each other very well... just saying.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

    2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)


    [ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

  10. #10
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    19,005
    i dont doubt dwyer could be a decent runner behind a ZBS...redman on the other hand just absolutely would be putrid.

    To me the perfect ZBS back would be willie parker...you count on the line to move people and get the back about 4 yards as one unit and then let the back do what he needs to do from there (very simplistic, but you get the idea). Parker had bad vision, but could hit a hole and be out..dwyer has some halfway decent explosion behind him, hes not the sluggish runner that dwyer is.

    Again, im saying sign bradshaw (excellent 3 down back, can catch and pass block) and hes very powerful for his size (I met him and Aaron ross at Mt Airy casino in the poconos, Ross looks like just a guy, bradshaw looked like a piece of military equipment) and then draft lattimore to be the guy in a year or two...but dont take any chances on his knee and IR him as a rookie, make it an investment

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Back to work
    By SteelerNation in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
  2. Ben is going to work fast
    By kgreen in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •