Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk RB draft picks

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Let's talk RB draft picks

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/RB

I think it's pretty obvious that we will be drafting a RB. Even if we do sign a veteran, I still think it makes a lot of sense to draft a nice young back to the mix. If Bradshaw gets healthy and they sign him, I am OK with that, but considering his history of injuries, they still should draft a back. Plus, rookies are the cheapest talent out there, especially after the first round, and, honestly, I don't see a single back who needs drafted at 1:17. That being said, here are our options, open for discussion.

33 *Eddie Lacy, Alabama rJr 5-11 231 1-2

I like Lacy more than some. Some say his production is exaggerated by playing behind a line that was NFL caliber. They say he often has a clean 6 yards of open space before he even gets touched, hence his perceived skills are inflated. But, more than not, I believe people who say that are mostly envisioning the Notre Dame game. Lacy played in the SEC, and in case anyone forgot, the SEC has wicked defenses. LSU, FL, GA and company have mad talent on their front 7. Lacy went up against all of them. I think Lacy is going to be a very good NFL back. He might not be as special as Trent Richardson (who I think is going to blow up this year), but if you watch him, he has a blend of speed, burst, balance and power. He would make a great Steeler back. If Pgh thought he would go before their 2:17 pick, I wouldn't mind a trade down to pick up another draft pick, and grab Lacy in the early 2nd round, perhaps picking up an extra 3rd round pick in the process.

64 *Giovani Bernard North Carolina rSo 5-9 202 2

He is very talented. No question. But he is small. No, not just short, but small. And he has an injury history. He is sloted to go in the 2nd. I find that to be too much a gamble. If he was still around in the 4th or 5th or 6th, maybe worth the risk. But not worth the gamble in the 2nd in my opinion. He did put up a monster game vs. VA Tech (262 yards) but just can't see risking it with a 2nd round pick.

77 Johnathan Franklin RB 3 UCLA rSr 5-10 205 2-3

Really productive, but again, on the small side. Is he an every down NFL back? Most think he is more of a 3rd down/change of pace back. If Pgh doesn't go RB in 1 or 2 and he is still there at 3:17, I might not mind the pick at that point. They certainly could do worse things in the 3rd (as Colbert tends to screw up by that round).

83 *Joseph Randle RB 4 Oklahoma State Jr 6-0 204 2-3

Another back on the smallish side. Runs a little too upright. They say his running instincts are good, but does miss some holes sometimes. Very athletic and ripped and lean. Again, if they didn't get a back yet and he is there at 3:17 I would probably be OK with that pick.

89 Andre Ellington RB 5 Clemson rSr 5-9 199 3

More of a water bug, zero power, all speed and illusiveness. Not a bad back to have but I'd be more comfortable with a 5th round on him like they did with Rainey.

93 Montee Ball RB 6 Wisconsin Sr 5-11 214 3

Finally, after Lacy, a back who has some size and power. Many think he would make a good Steeler back. He lead the nation is rushing with 1,900+ yards, but that can be a little deceiving as running behind the WI O line can enhance production. Lets not forget that Ron Dayne was the highest ever college back in yards and he sucked as an NFL RB. Also ball has a lot of wear on his tires. I don't know how many years he will have at the NFL level. They say he is like a Curtis Martin, but to be honest, he reminds me more of a Barry Foster. (Curtis was more fluid with less power than Ball in my opinion.) Again, if he is there in the 3rd, I wouldn't have a problem with picking him there. I like this kid's over all power, balance, instincts, enough speed to get around the corner.

102 Stepfan Taylor RB 7 Stanford Sr 5-9 214 3
    113 Christine Michael RB 8 Texas A&M Sr 5-10 220 3-4
    126 *Le'Veon Bell RB 9 Michigan State Jr 6-2 230 4

I am skipping down to Bell, as that is who I most wanted to discuss. I am scratching my head over why this guy isn't rated higher. He has serious size and speed ratio. His weaknesses are that he doesn't have blazing speed, but how many great backs didn't? Sure, in an ideal world you want Adrian Peterson but that package just doesn't exist all that much. Emmitt Smith had the same label - not that much speed - and all he did was become the all-time leading rusher in the NFL's history. Bell sometimes delays too long to find a hole (Arrrrrg, not another Mendenhall) but he also can explode through a hole once he finds one. At 230 pounds, he has 4.56 speed. That is a big, fast man. Some slight rumblings over him being a little selfish, "me first" but that can be checked.

Then there is this from CBS Sports.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were well-represented at Michigan State's pro day, with head coach Mike Tomlin, running backs coach Kirby Wilson, tight ends coach James Daniel, as well as general manager Kevin Colbert in attendance.
    It appears the Steelers are thinking the same way I am, and no, I didn't form these opinion AFTER knowing Pgh showed a lot of interest in this kid. I would be fine with them using a 3rd on him. Out of all the options, I like Lacy and Bell the most, with Bell being perhaps more intriguing because he can be nabbed later. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ice cream glove; 03-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Assistant Coach
    Johnathan Franklin has been my guy since the day we hired Bicknell.
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

Lattimore.

I actually like Montee Ball as a one cut runner too, Gio Bernard is probably the most explosive zone runner. Its strange watching Gio...i would describe him as a poor mans chris johnson (out of ECU, not a 2000 yard rusher) and I thought Johnson was a poor mans reggie bush which makes me feel like im insulting bernard a bit too much. His durability is a major concernt hough

Leveon Bell would be a weird pick...id really wonder what direction they were trying to go

102 Stepfan Taylor RB 7 Stanford Sr 5-9 214 3 what is his problem? isnt he the strongest of them?

The only two I know anything about are Lacey and Ball and like both. I would like them to grab a back that fits Hailey's system which I believe is more of a RB with speed in the open field and a pass catcher. Lacey seems to fit that more then Ball. Ps. good post topic!

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    102 Stepfan Taylor RB 7 Stanford Sr 5-9 214 3 what is his problem? isnt he the strongest of them?
    he ran painfully slow

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he ran painfully slow
    Got it... Never really noticed his stats....

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Lattimore.

I actually like Montee Ball as a one cut runner too, Gio Bernard is probably the most explosive zone runner. Its strange watching Gio...i would describe him as a poor mans chris johnson (out of ECU, not a 2000 yard rusher) and I thought Johnson was a poor mans reggie bush which makes me feel like im insulting bernard a bit too much. His durability is a major concernt hough

Leveon Bell would be a weird pick...id really wonder what direction they were trying to go
    Why do you say Bell would be a weird pick, K? I think he'd be the perfect pick. 230 lbs, 4.5 speed, great production on the college level. And, I am not just liking him because I am a yinzer who only thinks having a big power back is the way to go. I am not one of these Steeler fans who thinks nothing is right unless we have a 240 lb back (or 265 like Bettis). I only want what works, period. But I do desire a team that can rush the ball. Even though the passing game is more critical than ever before, a quality rushing game is still vital to most teams, and definitely to this team. And a 26th rated rush attack is pathetic, as we had last year. 3.7 ypc isn't cutting it. We desperately need better backs (and a in-shape Dwyer could help offer that as well as a rookie) and better O line play. Watch when other teams rush the ball. (Only 6 teams were worse than Pgh). Their OL play is so superior to ours. There are actual holes when teams like Washington, Seahawks, KC, SF and Texans rush the ball; their OL actually created holes. Pgh appears nothing like them when they rush the ball. With Pgh, all you see is a big cluster of players mashed together. No holes. Just a stone wall. If a back doesn't create something out of nothing, they get no where. And not many backs can create something out of nothing for a very high % of plays. Once in a while (and Dwyer did) but not often enough.

He would be a weird pick in moving to a ZBS if they are...hes more like redman and dwyer mashed together...id think theyd be looking for somthing a little more explosive and dynamic

I imagine run blocking will get much better with decastro and adams having a year under their belt...they are going to be dominant run blockers. If they do the unthinkable and take a guard with the first pick with cooper or warmack the run game will be unstoppable , but im thinking they wont do that

2nd String

Check this dude out. At one point he jumps over a dude's head (not suggesting to try that in the NFL). And look at those stiff arms. And the way he explodes. If we get this kid in the 3rd, I will get drunk. I have a feeling the rest of the NFL is getting much higher on this dude, though. If Pgh gets him in the 3rd, I am liking it a lot.

IDK, the more I look at this kid the more I can't seem to figure out what I am missing. He looks like a FIRST rounder talent to me. What is there not to like? I am going to say it right now: if this kid stays healthy he will have a more productive career than Mendenhall, who is just missing something in his make up, it seems obvious to me. I love this Bell kid. I could see him as the next great Steelers back; like a top 5 rushing # guy in the NFL. And with the OL of Gilbert, Foster, Pouncy, DD and Adams, they might just kill it, if they could only stay somewhat healthy.
    Last edited by ice cream glove; 03-29-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Thread Information