Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers "ways" running on fumes only.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Other teams every year have defensive rookies making plays and earning a name for themselves! It really is getting old!
    I really thought DLB was gone this season.....Keith Butler must be livid by now.....DLB was a great DC for a long time but it's time to hang em up......oh and take Tomlin with ya......lol......

Veteran
    I've long been a critic of Colbert and the drafting. He gets these accolades (sp?) for being this drafting master, but the results are far from that. The 2011 and 2012 drafts are still unknowns. They will play out in the next couple years. But the drafts that should be making up the core of this team, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, as a whole, are hardly anything to write home about.

In 2006, 2008 and 2009 combined, there's 1 player left on the roster (Ziggy Hood and people are not all that enamoured with him). In 2007, we did get Timmons and Woodley, and that certainly makes it a great draft, but having 3 starters left at this point from those 4 drafts (5 total player including Spaeth and Gay) is just not a productive output.

I'm also not thrilled with the constant high pick spending on the lines. Not that the lines didn't need help, but over the last 4 years, out of our top 8 picks, 6 have been on the line (OL/DL). It's not a surprise that our skill positions suck now. I think that was an over-reaction to the lack of attention he paid on those positions over the years. And now, as a result, we have another problem.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatsSteeler View Post
    That excuse is old and tired.....not only DLB but the entire coaching staff......players don't start on the Steelers for 3 seasons by then their contracts are up and away they go......
    And how many times have we been outside of the top ten in the league in team defense over the last decade? Top five?

It can be frustrating at times, but their system is about as successful as it gets. Sure, let's get big name free agents every year like the Redskins. I hear Albert Haynesworth is available.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Defense no longer wins championships, offense does, a number 1 D will get you to 8-8 if your offense sputters!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

We need to draft WR,TE,RB which ever order 1st three picks are defense will right itself.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We need to draft WR,TE,RB which ever order 1st three picks are defense will right itself.
    can't agree more! We could live with a top 8 D if our O was in the top 10...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Rookie Free Agent
    Seeing those draft picks of Colbert/Tomlin the last few years make me miss the Tom Donahue/Cowher years of the 90's when they were KILLING it in the draft. #sarcasm

1994 Draft

1) Charles Johnson WR
    2) Brenston Buckner DT
    3) Jason Gildon OLB

1995 Draft

1) Mark Bruener TE
    2) Kordell Stewart QB
    3) Brenden Stai OG

1996 Draft

1) Jamain Stephens OT
    3) Steven Conley LB
    3) John Whitman RB

1997 Draft

1) Chad Scott CB
    2) Will Blackwell WR
    3) Paul Wiggins OT

The 90's Donahue/Cowher years were much worse. Plus I do miss all those home AFC championship games where the Steelers were double-digit favorites and choked. I guess the more time passes the more we forget.
    Last edited by Reg3835; 03-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Defense no longer wins championships, offense does, a number 1 D will get you to 8-8 if your offense sputters!
    Then why did 17 NFL GMs go defense in the first round in 2012?

Not to mention, both SB participants are known far more for their defense than offense.

It is a team game and always will be.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Then why did 17 NFL GMs go defense in the first round in 2012?

Not to mention, both SB participants are known far more for their defense than offense.

It is a team game and always will be.
    It's a thing of the past... Ravens won with offense and some great non-called holding plays!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg3835 View Post
    Seeing those draft picks of Colbert/Tomlin the last few years make me miss the Tom Donahue/Cowher years of the 90's when they were KILLING it in the draft. #sarcasm

1994 Draft

1) Charles Johnson WR
    2) Brenston Buckner DT
    3) Jason Gildon OLB

1995 Draft

1) Mark Bruener TE
    2) Kordell Stewart QB
    3) Brenden Stai OG

1996 Draft

1) Jamain Stephens OT
    3) Steven Conley LB
    3) John Whitman RB

1997 Draft

1) Chad Scott CB
    2) Will Blackwell WR
    3) Paul Wiggins OT

The 90's Donahue/Cowher years were much worse. Plus I do miss all those home AFC championship games where the Steelers were double-digit favorites and choked. I guess the more time passes the more we forget.
    Great post. I guarantee that Burghers in 1976 were sitting in a bar cursing Noll because they picked that POS Jimmy Allen in the 4th round of the 1974 draft. If Noll knew as much as they did, they would not have passed on future Pro Bowler Billy "White Shoes" Johnson for Allen. ;-)

Thread Information