Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rookies who could start

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach
    what's probably more important here... is that the differentiations between the buck/mack are becoming less important in today's NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    what's probably more important here... is that the differentiations between the buck/mack are becoming less important in today's NFL.
    this is all i had to say, but i was enjoying the pissing match

Assistant Coach
    even that BHS article you referenced points to it...

Last year is a really difficult sample to use when determining the overall success of the group. Timmons played out of place for much of the season.
    that is referring to Timmons being experimented with at Buck... while Farrior remained at Mack... and Foote backed up both spots, but more so Farrior. (this being Foote's ONLY time ever at Mack)

My Mood
    Impatient
    as I pointed out...

Farrior moved to Buck only after Foote left, and they experimented with Timmons there.

they are referring to replacing Farrior at the Buck, simply because he played his last season there after Timmons became a regular at the Mack.

The vast majority of Farrior's career in Pittsburgh was at the Mack

Do you watch the games?
    Can you tell the difference between the Mack and Buck on these field?
    So in your logic, Foote left because Timmons was taking his spot, then Timmons changed positions that next year and Farrior did too, they didnt leave the two guys where they are at. Yes, I know the difference and I could quote articles that talk about the 14 year buck linebacker, or that his first year, Farrior played buck. But, you are convinced that you are right and that I am the idiot, but thats ok. Oh and one more thing, there are some earlier articles and here is one more article quote from Wexell. Actually, the mack linebacker spot, where Timmons replaced Larry Foote this season, is an easier position – mentally – than the buck, where captain James Farrior makes the calls and adjustments in Dick LeBeau’s defense.

http://tribune-democrat.com/prosport...ear-deal/print

August 21, 2008

Farrior is the Steelers’ inside buck linebacker, the man who relays the play call from coordinator Dick LeBeau, gets the defense lined up, and then tries to make the play. He showed this camp that he’s still the best coverage linebacker on the team, and last season he led the Steelers in tackles and had a career-high six sacks. He’s only missed two games in the past five years and is always in shape.

The Steelers also like his mentorship capability for mack-backer-in-waiting, Lawrence Timmons, last year’s first-round pick.
    Last edited by cmerrifield; 03-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.

My Mood
    Impatient
    even that BHS article you referenced points to it...

that is referring to Timmons being experimented with at Buck... while Farrior remained at Mack... and Foote backed up both spots, but more so Farrior. (this being Foote's ONLY time ever at Mack)
    Thats referring to him playing OLB

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    So in your logic, Foote left because Timmons was taking his spot, then Timmons changed positions that next year and Farrior did too, they didnt leave the two guys where they are at.
    No.
    No logic need be applied when there are facts.

Foote left, because they didn't have the cap space to pay and play 3 starters.

Farrior was always the Mack (I get to your Wexell article which completely mangles the definition/role of the Mack shortly)

When Foote (Buck) left, Timmons took the Buck spot and Farrior remained at Mack. Yes, because the Buck (irrespective of making play calls - which can be done by either position and anyone who eludes to this role as relative to the assignments of the position is a ****ing moron) is the easier position to play

Throughout that season they started experimenting with the reverse, giving Timmons more covereage reads

When they brought Foote back, it was specifically so that they could begin transitioning the Mack from Farrior to Timmons. As everyone could see in that previous season... Farrior has lost many steps, and Timmons was the athlete who could get sideline to sideline and make plays in coverage. And since Farrior was at the end of his rope, it made sense to bring back the guy who had maned the Buck for years, and had more left in the tank

Yes, I know the difference and I could quote articles that talk about the 14 year buck linebacker, or that his first year, Farrior played buck. But, you are convinced that you are right and that I am the idiot, but thats ok. Oh and one more thing, there are some earlier articles and here is one more article quote from Wexell. Actually, the mack linebacker spot, where Timmons replaced Larry Foote this season, is an easier position – mentally – than the buck, where captain James Farrior makes the calls and adjustments in Dick LeBeau’s defense.
    you give a lot of credit to fools in the media.
    Making the calls and adjustments literally has nothing to do with Mack vs Buck. Either LBer can make the calls/assignments.

Can we at least agree on the following:
    In the base Steeler defense in the 2 super bowl winning years... the Buck's responsibility was engagement. Taking on FBs, pulling Guards, blowing up Running plays and allowing the Mack to dominate in pursuit. The Mack's role was recognition, pursuit and coverage assignments... this was the base defense.

and it's your belief because of misunderstanding by Wexell and others... that Farrior was taking on FBs and Guards, and it was Foote in pursuit and coverage???

seriously? stop reading what other people say....
    here's Wexell mangling the role of the Buck
    "Farrior is the Steelers’ inside buck linebacker, the man who relays the play call from coordinator Dick LeBeau, gets the defense lined up, and then tries to make the play. He showed this camp that he’s still the best coverage linebacker on the team, and last season he led the Steelers in tackles and had a career-high six sacks. He’s only missed two games in the past five years and is always in shape."
    The Buck and Best Coverage LBer are basically polar opposites.

He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 03-28-2013 at 07:28 PM.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Here is what I will agree with you on, you think you are right and Bouchette, Wexell and a steelers blogger who is OCD are wrong.

Assistant Coach

Rookies who could start

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Here is what I will agree with you on, you think you are right and Bouchette, Wexell and a steelers blogger who is OCD are wrong.
    That's what happens when a few people misunderstand a few out of context statements and all begin referencing the same few articles off a google search

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Rookies who could start

That's what happens when a few people misunderstand a few out of context statements and all begin referencing the same few articles off a google search
    Or when every else agrees and you don't, that's called arrogance and not admitting when you are wrong. Oh and add dulac to my side.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-shoes-646773/

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cmerrifield; 03-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Assistant Coach

Rookies who could start

Wow another media person who is confused about the history of the Mack/buck because of the transition years.

All these articles you reference use almost identical language. 1 person got it wrong, and they all keep referencing each other

But it's good to know you learned football from reporters

Thread Information