Thread: TJ McDonald

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Impatient

TJ McDonald

Wexell wrote an article saying he liked McDonald in the third because he is smart and his dad was an nfl player and has coached him to play safety his whole life. What do you all think of him? I think a smart safety is a must because we won't have three years for him to develop.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

To me hes a mix of Taylor Mays and Darnell Bing....both big, former USC safeties. Hes definitely an in the box safety first and foremost but he also has some centerfield ability and good speed/range. He had a horrible senior year, but he is a decently good player from what ive seen before that. If used right i think he could be good in a disciplined role, Monte Kiffins defense is meant to be simple, but exhibit speed and range for the safeties. He has that, his senior season was so bad though that its a cause for concern. He is very very talented though, 3rd round is a definite steal

One major concern to me is he has been known to be a safety that is ok with watching his team mates make a tackle rather than sticking his nose in there. And while thats a touch better than taylor mays taking out his own guys, its still not an endearing quality for a 6-3 220 pound safety
    Last edited by K Train; 03-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

One major concern to me is he has been known to be a safety that is ok with watching his team mates make a tackle rather than sticking his nose in there. And while thats a touch better than taylor mays taking out his own guys, its still not an endearing quality for a 6-3 220 pound safety
    He played with Robert Golden in High School. Could he add 20 -30 lbs and be an ILB? I do think he might be the Safety pick but also think Rontez Miles or Shawn Williams UGA.
    Last edited by JollyRob68; 03-29-2013 at 12:42 PM.

no he cant be a LB, i hate that theory like its so easy for a S to gain 20 pounds and be a LB or a LB to lose 20-30 and be a safety.

His only shot is a SS. Everyone loved the idea of making mays a LB, but it wouldnt work

Assistant Coach
    I dont think he has enough NFL range. He'll be a limited player who will need to be protected on the field. With the game consistently moving more and more towards big offenses, down field and quick strike action... I no longer see the value in investing in safeties whose one strong suit is "in the box".

Taylor Mays would've been a beast in the 90s... in today's game he has no place

There is a reason why TJ is grading out so much lower than Mays.. scouts, analysts, and front office people are adjusting
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I saw a mock having us select him in the fourth round. Walter's I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I dont think he has enough NFL range. He'll be a limited player who will need to be protected on the field. With the game consistently moving more and more towards big offenses, down field and quick strike action... I no longer see the value in investing in safeties whose one strong suit is "in the box".
    but you like troy and clark? lol

Taylor Mays would've been a beast in the 90s... in today's game he has no place

There is a reason why TJ is grading out so much lower than Mays.. scouts, analysts, and front office people are adjusting
    Mays was worth a second round pick, i would have been infuriated at him in the first but his tools were unreal even if his awareness and agility were awful....it is funny seeing him take out bengal players though.

I like mcdonald, i do think he has decent range and speed...thats what kiffins scheme is all about, i think he is becoming slightly underrated, hes probably not an immediate impact kind of guy but a guy that can be worked into a defense
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I saw a mock having us select him in the fourth round. Walter's I think.
    great value, would be worth it

My Mood
    Fine
    I was thinking Ilb because of his smarts,height & will naturally grow over the next year. It seems like most of our Lb naturally gained weight.
    What safeties do you like for The Steelers?

My Mood
    Fine
    I was thinking Ilb because of his smarts,height & will naturally grow over the next year. It seems like most of our Lb naturally gained weight.
    What safeties do you

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    What safeties do you like for The Steelers?
    if they wanted that id prefer kenny tate as a UDFA

Vaccaro to some extent. But i lobe Matt Elam and David Amerson. Shamarko Thomas is another guy its hard not to like when you watch him

I wouldnt mind picking up Kenny Tate or Ray Ray Armstrong as an UDFA

Thread Information