Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Doom, Freeney, Harrison

Bookmark and Share
    Other than Elvis Dumervil’s fax machine and former agent, maybe no one’s had a rougher free agency than James Harrison.

Not only did the former Steelers outside linebacker lose when he called the Steelers bluff on a pay cut, then he lost his chance at another job when Dumervil signed with the Ravens while he was there for a visit.

Now, he’s trying to crawl back to the Steelers. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Harrison’s agent “has not closed the door on his client returning to [Pittsburgh] and would welcome a call from Steelers.”

I suppose he would.

Harrison might be the guy without a chair when the pass-rushers all settle into place. And when he does, it’s hard to imagine he’ll approach anything close to the $6.57 million he was supposed to make this year. Or maybe even the 30-percent pay cut the Steelers offered, with the chance to earn the balance back in incentives.

If they can push through the hurt feelings, having Harrison back might help, as going into an AFC arms race with Jason Worilds opposite LaMarr Woodley at outside linebacker isn’t an ideal situation. But overcoming pride can be a difficult thing.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eelers-return/

I'm betting James will not come crawling back and would rather sit a year out..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Doom, Freeney, Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I'm betting James will not come crawling back and would rather sit a year out..
    At 35 he doesn't have that luxury.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Doom, Freeney, Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    At 35 he doesn't have that luxury.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2
    Very true, this may be the end if his career..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Hahahahahahahaha. I'm glad. This is what Harrison gets. Now..IF he's brought back, it will really be at a discount price.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha. I'm glad. This is what Harrison gets. Now..IF he's brought back, it will really be at a discount price.
    This is what Harrison gets? For what? For being true to his contract while the organization wasn't? I get that he isn't worth $7 mil this year. But you're the same dude who talks about players should have some loyalty and abide by the contract they signed. Contracts don't mean **** when a the team decides you aren't worth it anymore (hense players holding out for the most guaranteed money possible because really, the rest of the contract doesn't mean **** if the team doesn't want it to). This team talks about how it won't negotiate with holdouts because of the principle of the contract and all that. It's so hypocritical.

Rookie Free Agent Steelergolfer59's Avatar

Doom, Freeney, Harrison

The thing is I don't mind James coming back. Have him there for a couple years to help groom the next young LB. He is getting old but toward the end of last season he showed some flashes of the old James. We all laugh but we have to remember it is a business and sometimes these guys agents feed them BS and how they could be "great" somewhere else instead of trusting themselves. To me James doesn't seem like the guy that would be that greedy at his age knowing he could stay on a team that can contend for a SB and be dumb enough to possibly play for a team that's going nowhere. Who knows I could be wrong.

Harrison is the reason we beat AZ and won the SB, say what you want about the Holmes catch, Ben's throw etc., had they scored a TD on that play the game was over, how many times has 92 made a clutch play, strip sack etc...

I'd love to have him back but at some point they'll need to move on!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Perhaps the Pittsburgh Steelers will get James Harrison back at the price they wanted after all.

Harrison hasn't given up on the possibility of returning to the Steelers, his agent told ESPN. Harrison's camp would "welcome" a call from the Steelers.

We'd think that Pittsburgh would be open to Harrison's return as well. Coach Mike Tomlin reportedly pushed behind the scenes to keep Harrison, and the Steelers approached Harrison about a pay cut. That indicates a willingness to bring Harrison on board at their price. ProFootballTalk reported previously that Harrison was offered a "30 percent" pay cut from his scheduled $6.57 million salary.

A reunion makes a lot of sense. Harrison was one of Pittsburgh's better defensive players by the end of last season; he would upgrade a thin outside linebacker position for them. He also lost out on a chance to sign with Baltimore when Elvis Dumervil signed with the Ravens. Harrison was in Baltimore and about to formally visit the Ravens until Dumervil's deal got in the way.

Pittsburgh might be anxious about putting Harrison's money back on the ledger, though, for a variety of reasons. The New England Patriots hosted Steelers restricted free-agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders for a visit, and could make an offer sheet soon. The Steelers may not want Harrison's contract to get in the way of keeping Sanders.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    This is what Harrison gets? For what? For being true to his contract while the organization wasn't? I get that he isn't worth $7 mil this year. But you're the same dude who talks about players should have some loyalty and abide by the contract they signed. Contracts don't mean **** when a the team decides you aren't worth it anymore (hense players holding out for the most guaranteed money possible because really, the rest of the contract doesn't mean **** if the team doesn't want it to). This team talks about how it won't negotiate with holdouts because of the principle of the contract and all that. It's so hypocritical.
    Dude, he was a shadow of himself last year. It looked like age had finally caught up to him. I don't believe in paying a guy for what he did in the past; I pay for what he's going to do. And with injuries and age, I don't think he's the same. But if he proves me wrong, there should be incentives to reward him. But he's at the "prove it to me" point in his career.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information