Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Tyler Bray, QB, in the 2nd round?

Bookmark and Share
    2008 is the only year he played all 16 games a season in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    They were late round picks because scouting QB's is an inaccurate science. Which is my whole point. All great QB's don't have to be first round picks.
    but most are..thats my point. Cant make exceptions the rule, the vast majority of good QBs are first rounders...after that you have way more fade into nothingness than superstardom
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I think Montana was a third round pick.

Trent Dilfer - 1 Super Bowl win

Dan Marino - 0 Super Bowl wins.
    not relavant at all, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    Ben has been injured the last two seasons, maybe the brass are thinking we need a better back up plan. While I think about it can anyone name a season that Ben didn't miss a game or more in the last 5 years ?
    exactly...they are in need of a backup....if he didnt need to be rushed back the last 2 years we could have been looking at a whole different outcome to the season and maybe less "omg the sky is falling blow the team up" nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    but most are..thats my point. Cant make exceptions the rule, the vast majority of good QBs are first rounders...after that you have way more fade into nothingness than superstardom

not relavant at all, sorry

exactly...they are in need of a backup....if he didnt need to be rushed back the last 2 years we could have been looking at a whole different outcome to the season and maybe less "omg the sky is falling blow the team up" nonsense
    Agreed he had to be rush back while still injured cause we had no other option realistically to give us a legitimate chance to move forward.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    What other backup QB out there would have kept Ben from rushing back or us clamoring for his return? Yes, we need an upgrade at the position but the thought that Ben would have sat longer and Brian Hoyer was going to lead us to the playoffs is not credible. Charlie did all that you can expect, gave us an opportunity to win two games and would have won both if not for five fumbles. Ben still rushed back and those who had not already given up on the season wanted him back.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Agreed there aren't many good back up QB's out there. Although a lot of the good teams have QB's that stay healthy and don't take the hits that Ben does. Such as Brady, Manning , Rodgers, Brees and etc. Pitt needs a solid back up that can come in and win when needed unlike the other teams. Point is a quality back up QB is more of a need for the Steelers then it is for other teams.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Then they should have gotten Matt Moore.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    What other backup QB out there would have kept Ben from rushing back or us clamoring for his return? Yes, we need an upgrade at the position but the thought that Ben would have sat longer and Brian Hoyer was going to lead us to the playoffs is not credible. Charlie did all that you can expect, gave us an opportunity to win two games and would have won both if not for five fumbles. Ben still rushed back and those who had not already given up on the season wanted him back.
    oh i dont know, maybe the second year QB who ended up leading his team to the superbowl when their starter went down.

Obviously ben is better than alex smith, but it would be nice to have a quality backup and potential heir apparent

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    oh i dont know, maybe the second year QB who ended up leading his team to the superbowl when their starter went down.

Obviously ben is better than alex smith, but it would be nice to have a quality backup and potential heir apparent
    Kaepernick was never going to be a long-term backup QB in San Fran. They drafted him because they knew Alex Smith was no more than a game manager.

Ben has 5+ years left. Drafting a player like that in our situation (especially high in the draft) is a wasted pick. He would never play for us and leave once his rookie deal was up. The Steelers should look to draft a high pick QB in about 3-4 years and currently A) get a competent veteran (Gradkowski is not it), and/or B) draft one lower to groom.

If a second rounder ends up being crap, we wasted a high pick. If he ends up being great, we still wasted a pick because he will never play meaningful snaps for us.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Kaepernick was never going to be a long-term backup QB in San Fran. They drafted him because they knew Alex Smith was no more than a game manager.

Ben has 5+ years left. Drafting a player like that in our situation (especially high in the draft) is a wasted pick. He would never play for us and leave once his rookie deal was up. The Steelers should look to draft a high pick QB in about 3-4 years and currently A) get a competent veteran (Gradkowski is not it), and/or B) draft one lower to groom.

If a second rounder ends up being crap, we wasted a high pick. If he ends up being great, we still wasted a pick because he will never play meaningful snaps for us.
    Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for like 4 years

Rivers behind Brees for 2

Schaub was a 3rd rounder to backup the falcons oft hit, fragile QB...then they traded him for a second

IF ben has 5 years left (big if), and we get Bray to back him up for 3-4 and he turns out to be the real deal, they could either trade him away or make a legitimate Aaron Rodgers like investment in him for the future, a safe, yet team friendly deal with lower tier starter money/higher end backup money until he gets his shot to take the position.

They tried to draft dixon with hopes hed be a good backup and return on investment...he was neither

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    2008 is the only year he played all 16 games a season in his career.
    Misleading.

Rookie season he didn't start the year as #1.

2nd season he missed 4 games.

3rd season he missed the 1st game because of his appendix.

4th season he and others sat out a meaningless game at Baltimore because they had no bye week.

5th season he started every game.

6th season he missed 1 game due to concussion.

7th season he missed 4 games because of BS suspension.

8th season he missed 1 game because of his ankle.

9th season he missed 3 games because of his ribs.

So while he has missed games due to injury he also "didn't play 16 games" in 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2010 because of issues that had nothing to do with injuries.

Pay attention to the team boys.

Thread Information