Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The true beginning of the end

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    You cannot sign something that waives the right of another to sue.

As far as the players themselves, such waivers are not ironclad. A lot of ski resorts pretty much do the same thing, putting up signs that essentially say to ski at your own risk and that they are not responsible for your safety. They still get sued all of the time.

All an ex NFL player has to do is claim that the NFL knew more about the impact of these collisions than the players were told, that the NFL should have known more, etc.

Then the players become their own worst enemies. For instance, there is one specific type of helmet that studies have shown to be more effective (I forget which one, but I believe it is the big, ugly, Larry Foote model) at reducing concussions. If the NFL mandates these helmets, the union will complain and if later studies end up indicating that they are not as good as originally thought, the NFL is at risk. If they do not mandate them, players will later say the NFL was negligent in not ensuring they had the best equipment. Damned if you do...
    Sue the "drug dealer" POP Warner.. CYO... High School... They got the boy addicted to this sick sport...

Oh wait... theres no money there... Forget that.. Sue the NFL.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    In every municipality, there are city workers. City workers who climb telephone post to work on electric lines sign a wiaver. City workers who work in the sewers with the monster rats and stuff sign a waiver. And those waivers are legal and binding.

I don't believe for a second that the same can't be signed by NFL players. And no one needs a doctor to tell them that blows to your head are not good for your long term health. No one needs a study for that. Those 3500 ex players should be thrown out of court for challenging the court's stupidity are lack there of.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by pjoseph View Post
    Funny u say that about the leather helmets, we had a discussion about the same thing at work today.
    But i have seen players in the past loose their helmets and with no hesitation what so ever still go and make the tackle, the guys are animals
    Yep, and what do they do when they have no helmet? Keep their head up and lead with their shoulder.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    What it is turning to is Not the NFL. Go to youtube and pull up that Earl Campbell run agains the Rams. THAT'S the NFL. And who's whining? And as far as the concussion issue itself, I'm on point. Nobody made these guys play the game. They knew the health risk. They played the game because they loved it and it made good money as well as the fame and glory.
    You are whining. You don't seem to get it. The NFL is a business and Goodell's job is to make the owners money and limit losses. You're so blind with hatred that you can't see the forest from the trees. If they(the NFL) doesn't do something about the concussions professional football is done. You can sit there and say they knew what they signed up for, but that is complete and utter bullshit. We're just now learning how significant a problem this is. One other you can't sign away your rights, utility workers are not signing away their rights to workers compensation. Anyway I'm done with this topic. I might as well be arguing with a birther it's just another exercise in futility.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    In every municipality, there are city workers. City workers who climb telephone post to work on electric lines sign a wiaver. City workers who work in the sewers with the monster rats and stuff sign a waiver. And those waivers are legal and binding.

I don't believe for a second that the same can't be signed by NFL players. And no one needs a doctor to tell them that blows to your head are not good for your long term health. No one needs a study for that. Those 3500 ex players should be thrown out of court for challenging the court's stupidity are lack there of.
    Typical ignorant BS. Let's say that a worker who signed a waiver goes up the pole and the city purchased safety harness is defective, poorly engineered, etc. Or that the inherent danger of the job was never fully explained to the worker. You may as well wipe your a$$ with the waiver just as you can when the players state that they were never made aware of all the data on concussions and that the helmets were insufficient. Common sense has nothing to do with the law.

Even worse, some 7th round draft pick who played 5 years at the league minimum (not rich) will be drooling on himself and then his wife and preteen kids get up on the stand and cry. The jury will fall all over themselves to give them money and no piece of paper signed 15 years before will prevent that.

What may be the funniest part is that you apparently believe that you came up with some brilliant idea not thought of by the million dollar lawyers working for the NFL. If they were anywhere near ironclad, the league would have been doing it since Norm Van Brocklin.
    Last edited by TarlsQtr; 03-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Sue the "drug dealer" POP Warner.. CYO... High School... They got the boy addicted to this sick sport...

Oh wait... theres no money there... Forget that.. Sue the NFL.
    Exactly.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Assistant Coach

nice word salad at the end there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    You are whining. You don't seem to get it. The NFL is a business and Goodell's job is to make the owners money and limit losses. You're so blind with hatred that you can't see the forest from the trees. If they(the NFL) doesn't do something about the concussions professional football is done. You can sit there and say they knew what they signed up for, but that is complete and utter bullshit. We're just now learning how significant a problem this is. One other you can't sign away your rights, utility workers are not signing away their rights to workers compensation. Anyway I'm done with this topic. I might as well be arguing with a birther it's just another exercise in futility.
    You seem to be obsessed. No one is whinning. I've given my solution to Goodall's problem with limiting financial losses. And since we've started this conversation, I"ve taken it up with a lawyer about my proposition and the lawyer told me as long as there is some symposium established for players as they enter the league to solely explain the long term heath conditions of football on the body, a signed waiver is legal and binding. Problem solved.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Total Horse ****. 1-more ways for the ref's to fu*kup or throw a game.2-let's pay these fu*ks (players) ridiculous money to play a pussified sport and jack up ticket prices to watch this bunch of ****. Is there no way of getting rid of this fu*king idiot

Quote Originally Posted by North Steel View Post
    Total Horse ****. 1-more ways for the ref's to fu*kup or throw a game.2-let's pay these fu*ks (players) ridiculous money to play a pussified sport and jack up ticket prices to watch this bunch of ****. Is there no way of getting rid of this fu*king idiot
    My second ... They barely ever see holding on Brady's OL even though you know hes passing...
    Then they see a two second hold on our OL "Colon".

They barely can call and see holding correctly, now throw in these judgement helmut hits.. And how far into the open field does this penalty come into affect??? Was the Guard holding?? was the runner lowering is head wrong?? or lowering it too late into the run??? After he gains 4 yards ??? 8 yards?? The running game is doomed.. which is exactly what they want.

Thread Information