Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The true beginning of the end

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

The true beginning of the end

Funny u say that about the leather helmets, we had a discussion about the same thing at work today.
    But i have seen players in the past loose their helmets and with no hesitation what so ever still go and make the tackle, the guys are animals

Waterboy

The true beginning of the end

To me it seems like the players have gotten so big over time, i love the big hits but recently have seen some that i did not even watch the reply it was so bad. One that stands out was i think 2 or 3 years ago pit vs baltimore, and i believe it was ed reed who hit heith miller and just the way the hit pushed his head down into his shoulders like causing his neck to disappear for a second, the guys neck resembles a tree trunk. I thought he was paralyzed for sure. I recently read 3 different books about the mind and brain ect..,, i recently became interested in it after a watching documentry on netflix absolutely amazing stuff. Anyway i read in one book about how the brain itself is very fragile and i believe there is some kind of liquid that separates it from touching the skull, also the inside of the skull also contains a lot of sharp edges/spikes so even a strong jolt like from whiplash could cause the brain to
    hit the interior of the skull damaging it.
    Those guys take a lot of big hits for years, and it has to take its toll on the brain i just dont see how it would not.
    I actually have felt bad for the players ever since i read that part of the book..
    i could see it becoming a big problem over the years , but the nfl is a money maker. We will have to wait and see and enjoy all future ones that much more

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelspikes View Post
    Don't blame Goodell, blame the ex-players and their lawyers who are suing the NFL for megabucks because of concussions! It's all about the $ friends.
    Thank God someone actually gets it! The NFL can either be proactive and do something about concussions or do nothing and be bleed to death by lawsuits.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 03-22-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I hear ya.

But Goodall came in with an agenda. Before the lawsuits. It's a slippery slope. And it begins with this helmet rule. Okay....so you say that it only happened 6 times last year in actuality. But...we all know how referees are going to overreact with this rule.

If it only happened 6 times last year in actuality, then why is there even a need to make a rule????? Because Hitler Goodall is trying to take violence out of a game that is violent at its core and nature.

Every player in the league is blasting this rule.

If you want to solve the lawsuit issues going forward, every player just needs to sign a waiver stating they know the health risk of playing football and that they choose to play the game in spite of. Simple as that.

The city workers who work under the streets in the sewers for the cities we live in sign a similar waiver. And it's worked out for all the municipalities so why wouldn't it work for the NFL???

Write a lump sum check for the 3500 ex, deadbeat NFL players who are suing. Then make the modern day NFL'ers sign the waiver and keep going.

Goodall just wants to change the game.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Re: The true beginning of the end

They just need to all sign release waivers saying they are all grown men who have been made aware the consequences of brain trauma and other bodily disabilities that can occur by playing this sport and that they agree that neither them nor their family can sue the NFL because they know what can happen yet chose to play anyway.

I know thatll never happen but its not a new thing nemore. They know wat can happen but choose to play and alot of them play when they know they r hurt. Whether its playing with concussions or partially torn ACLs. Whether they r pressured into playing or not THEY as grown men make the decision to play and sometimes even lie to get back in the game. Then after the fact decide to sue same thing with the family. They know what can happen but they dont care cause of the money then after the fact they sue...

Sign a waiver saying they nor their family can ever sue, or walk...

But like i said itll nvr happen

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by USMC607; 03-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Do you guys remember that great run that Earl Campbell had against the Rams where he just ran flat over Isiah Robertson???

One of the greates running plays we've ever seen. That play would be illegal now, Thanks to this bullshit that Goodall is doing.

That is how ridiculous this has gotten. This is from Profootballtalk.com:

Earl Campbell says Jack Lambert’s words have come to pass

Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT

Only days short of his 58th birthday, Hall of Fame running back Earl Campbell has become a real-life billboard for the wear and tear of a lifetime of football. Of any former players, then, Campbell should appreciate efforts to make the game safer.

He doesn’t.

Campbell has become the latest current or former ball carrier to complain about the new restriction on the things a player can do while carrying the ball. He joined CSN Houston to discuss the situation.

“No. 1, I think football is a very physical game, no doubt,” Campbell said. ”And I think we learn that when we’re young. But I think with the NFL changing that rule it’s not going to be good at all. I think at some point you gotta say ‘stop’ and let football be football.”

Campbell fears he would have been suspended while playing, if he’d played under the current rules. ”I played football with my whole body,” Campbell said. ”My hands, my head, my face. I did it all.”

Campbell also pointed to his violent helmet to the gut of Rams linebacker Isaiah Robertson as something Campbell wouldn’t have been allowed to do.

“I know I wouldn’t have lasted,” Campbell said, “because that’s how I play football. . . . I agree with the legendary Jack Lambert. . . . He said the quarterback is gonna end up wearing a dress. And that’s taking away from football. I did not think I would live long enough to see that happen. But he’s right. They keep changing and keep changing. I think what they ought to do if they really want to change it all up, give guys like we started football in elementary [school], flag football, and everybody will know not to bump into nobody.”

Campbell arguably can blame these developments on his peers who have sued the NFL, if the league’s ongoing changes are truly motivated by avoiding future litigation. The more accurate interpretation could be that the league is trying to maintain the flow of football players from the pee wee ranks to pro level.

Without efforts to make the game safer, that may be hard to do in an age of advanced medical knowledge and aggressive helicopter parenting.

Earl Campbell is being a man. He knew the risk and admits it.

These other 3500 former NFL players that are filing this lawsuit are lying *** losers. Most of them blew their money and want a free handout because of their financial blunders. They all knew the risk and played for the immediate money, fame and glory.

Even that loser Tim Couch is in it. He's just mad because he was a bust.

Draft Pick
    Would you rather have an nfl or not? That's what it boils down to. Whine about good ell all you want, but when it comes to the concussions thing you're way off base and being very myopic.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    Sign a waiver saying they nor their family can ever sue, or walk...
    You cannot sign something that waives the right of another to sue.

As far as the players themselves, such waivers are not ironclad. A lot of ski resorts pretty much do the same thing, putting up signs that essentially say to ski at your own risk and that they are not responsible for your safety. They still get sued all of the time.

All an ex NFL player has to do is claim that the NFL knew more about the impact of these collisions than the players were told, that the NFL should have known more, etc.

Then the players become their own worst enemies. For instance, there is one specific type of helmet that studies have shown to be more effective (I forget which one, but I believe it is the big, ugly, Larry Foote model) at reducing concussions. If the NFL mandates these helmets, the union will complain and if later studies end up indicating that they are not as good as originally thought, the NFL is at risk. If they do not mandate them, players will later say the NFL was negligent in not ensuring they had the best equipment. Damned if you do...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    Would you rather have an nfl or not? That's what it boils down to. Whine about good ell all you want, but when it comes to the concussions thing you're way off base and being very myopic.
    What it is turning to is Not the NFL. Go to youtube and pull up that Earl Campbell run agains the Rams. THAT'S the NFL. And who's whining? And as far as the concussion issue itself, I'm on point. Nobody made these guys play the game. They knew the health risk. They played the game because they loved it and it made good money as well as the fame and glory.

Thread Information