Thread: STEELERS SHOULD SIGN DUMERVIL

Bookmark and Share

STEELERS SHOULD SIGN DUMERVIL

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    For you my friend, a male store.
    Thanks, I'll wear out my CC swiping!

STEELERS SHOULD SIGN DUMERVIL

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    i work in the media/entertainment business... but really im just another econ nerd, who played college ball, and who loves sports at both the competive, schematic, and economic levels

doesn't everybody read the collective bargaining agreement cover to cover?
    I think you're more then just a forum freak! Who are you? Beat writer?

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    what do you do for a living? just wondering, im an senior econ major and work in finance so this stuff is very interesting to me, its nice to see someone when they understand how the salary cap works, that **** is like my dream job
    It's pretty simple process. Signing bonuses are spread out over the life of the contract. For example, 20 million signing bonus over a 5 year contract equates to 4 million a year cap hit. Then deduct signing bonus from overall amount to figure out the yearly amount. Keep in mind if you cut the player after one year the signing bonus is your cap hit that year.

Based on the example above if we sign Dumerville in 2013 and then cut him after a year we would be charged an 8 million cap hit (dead money) in 2014 for a player that isn't even on the team anymore. Risky but for a player like Dumerville I would take my chances.

Math makes my head hurt, please stop! lol

Quote Originally Posted by LASVEGASGUY View Post
    It's pretty simple process. Signing bonuses are spread out over the life of the contract. For example, 20 million signing bonus over a 5 year contract equates to 4 million a year cap hit. Then deduct signing bonus from overall amount to figure out the yearly amount. Keep in mind if you cut the player after one year the signing bonus is your cap hit that year.

Based on the example above if we sign Dumerville in 2013 and then cut him after a year we would be charged an 8 million cap hit (dead money) in 2014 for a player that isn't even on the team anymore. Risky but for a player like Dumerville I would take my chances.
    lol i know exactly how it works, he just always posts a lot of specifics i was wondering what sparked his interest

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    OK, how do incentive laden contracts (like the one offered to Harrison) work with the cap? It cannot count against this year's cap because you have no idea if the player will meet the incentives. I assume it gets pushed to the next season because it seems like you could really screw with the system otherwise (give veteran minimum and offer $4 million for playing a single game as the "incentive").
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

its been suggested that doom may sign a one year deal to a contending team playing a 34 for around 5-6 million in order to restore his value and cash in next season.

couldnt be scripted better lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    its been suggested that doom may sign a one year deal to a contending team playing a 34 for around 5-6 million in order to restore his value and cash in next season.

Well, the script could have had us finish better than 8-8 and actually considered a "contender", but your point is well taken. Although I still doubt it happens, it IS possible.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

Keeping him away from the Ravens is well worth the money spent IMO.. No way do I want him in purple!

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    OK, how do incentive laden contracts (like the one offered to Harrison) work with the cap? It cannot count against this year's cap because you have no idea if the player will meet the incentives. I assume it gets pushed to the next season because it seems like you could really screw with the system otherwise (give veteran minimum and offer $4 million for playing a single game as the "incentive").
    There are LTBE (Likely to be Earned) and NLTBE (NOT Likely to be Earned) Incentives. I recommend pages 109-124 of the CBA if you'd like a detailed explanation.

Essentialy LTBE is applied to the cap in the year of the contract. NLTBE incentives are applied to the following season if they were reached.

LTBE incentives are generally performance indicators that the team or player had reached in the previous season

here's the CBA... have fun:

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe..._Final_CBA.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    NPB - As long as I breath I will ban you.

Thread Information