Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Helmut hits anytime??

Bookmark and Share

No Helmut hits anytime??

Competition Committee wants to stop open-field helmet hits
    March 14, 2013

The NFL Competition Committee wants open-field football to be completely different next season.

The group has proposed to the owners that ball-carriers or defenders who lower their heads to gain yards or to make a tackle should receive a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness.

It’s one of three player safety proposals the group will make at the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix next week.

The committee, which announced the proposals in a conference call Thursday, will also advise doing away with the “peel-back block” inside the tackle box and overloading one side of the defensive line during a PAT or field-goal attempt.

Either of these violations would also result in a 15-yard penalty.

These, along with three other rule changes, would have to be approved by the owners. However, that group usually rubber-stamps proposals by the committee.

Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson and St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher explained the proposals. They said they met for 12 days during the offseason discussing possible rule changes and talking to players, coaches and referees.

The open-field helmet rule gained the most attention, with McKay saying “it was one of the first of its kind to regulate play in open space.” The key to the rule is that both players must be outside the tackle box, he said.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Competition Committee wants to stop open-field helmet hits
    March 14, 2013

The NFL Competition Committee wants open-field football to be completely different next season.

The group has proposed to the owners that ball-carriers or defenders who lower their heads to gain yards or to make a tackle should receive a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness.

It’s one of three player safety proposals the group will make at the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix next week.

The committee, which announced the proposals in a conference call Thursday, will also advise doing away with the “peel-back block” inside the tackle box and overloading one side of the defensive line during a PAT or field-goal attempt.

Either of these violations would also result in a 15-yard penalty.

These, along with three other rule changes, would have to be approved by the owners. However, that group usually rubber-stamps proposals by the committee.

Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson and St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher explained the proposals. They said they met for 12 days during the offseason discussing possible rule changes and talking to players, coaches and referees.

The open-field helmet rule gained the most attention, with McKay saying “it was one of the first of its kind to regulate play in open space.” The key to the rule is that both players must be outside the tackle box, he said.
    I think they are talking about spearing. To tackle, chin up, and use your shoulder pads instead of head. The runners would also have to keep their chins up. This is how we were taught to play when we were kids. Now, everyone leads with their heads.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

The game will never end... Yellow flags will be everywhere. the refs will control the outcome of all games. I thought holding was enough ref control, this will be worse. What will ray rice do? What will all the short RB's do? Keep their heads up and get destroyed?

am i wrong here??

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Before Goodell finishes, we'll be playing 2 hand touch football, not even flag (people may get hurt reaching down for the flag.)

My Mood
    Sunshine
    But it's still ok to take an offensive linemans knees.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

I'd like to open field helmet to Goodells bare head!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    There will be flags coming out every play lol...

Draft Pick
    Football is going to turn into everybody being in them all steel robotic loader things that are in the movie aliens

My Mood
    Mellow
    it's really simple...don't want a concussion? DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!

want to play football? guess what, there is a good chance you might get multiple concussions. that's the deal. take it or leave it.

it's one thing to use your head and helmet as a weapon...it's another to have them collide in the normal flow of the game.

this is insane!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Emmitt Smith criticizes proposed helmet contact rule
    March 15, 2013
    TwitterSharePrintEmail

The NFL Competition Committee introduced a list of proposed rule changes Thursday — several of which are targeted toward improving player health and safety. One of those rules immediately found a high-profile critic.

Hall of Fame running back and all-time NFL leading rusher Emmitt Smith vehemently disagreed with the proposal to penalize players who lead with the crown of their helmets. Smith told KRLD-FM the idea won’t sit well with NFL running backs.

“If I’m a running back and I’m running into a linebacker, you’re telling me I have to keep my head up so he can take my chin off?” said Smith on Thursday in an exclusive interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “You’ve absolutely lost your mind.”

Smith went on to say that since running backs are taught to run behind their shoulder pads, it would be almost impossible for them not to lead with their heads. He concluded that the proposal was “made up by people who have never played the game of football.”

The Dallas Cowboys legend, who amassed 18,355 rushing yards during his NFL career, suggests the proposed rule only would make the referee’s job tougher. Smith called the league’s definition of a “defenseless” player subjective and worried that the proposed rule will take away from the integrity of the play on the field.

Thread Information