Thread: MSU's RB Le'Veon Bell and TE Dion Sims

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

MSU's RB Le'Veon Bell and TE Dion Sims

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I would share some info.

Tomlin was at MSU's pro day yesterday he met with RB Bell and TE Sims and took them out to dinner. Mutual interest from Bell and Tomlin.

I think Bell would be a good fit and a great back for the Steelers. Sims has all the physical tools, but probably would need a year or two to develop.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...at-NFL-pro-day

Assistant Coach
    Bell in the 3rd is much better value than Lacy in the 1st

I'm confused what the Steelers are planning at running back/running scheme

They bring in a zone oline coach
    They say they are implementing a zone running scheme

But they are keeping Redman/Dwyer.... and looking at guys like Bell. Doesn't fit.

Give me Jonathan Franklin in the 3rd please
    Sign Ahmad Bradshaw to a cheap deal
    Those moves would fit with the schematic shift
    Return of the Banana

I've read nothing stating that the steelers are definitely moving to a ZBS. They hired an Oline coach that has utilized the scheme and they said they would like more athletic lineman, but no one in the organization has come out and said for sure that they are moving to a ZBS. It's all just been speculation and assumption.

At least I haven't read anything that definitively states it.

Bell has one hell of a mean hurdle to him

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    I've read nothing stating that the steelers are definitely moving to a ZBS. They hired an Oline coach that has utilized the scheme and they said they would like more athletic lineman, but no one in the organization has come out and said for sure that they are moving to a ZBS. It's all just been speculation and assumption.

At least I haven't read anything that definitively states it.
    Yea, I guess it's mostly assumption... but nothing else makes sense

Haley ran a ZBS in Kansas City
    Bicknell coached that ZBS in Kansas City

The Steelers did not implement a new running game when Haley came in. The entire playbook for the running game was never implemented, and much of Kirby's old stuff (Arians) remained in the playbook last year

Haley has talked about fully implementing his playbook this year

I mean, we did play a version of zone with Kugler... it's just that it was a power zone (first step forward zone) but it was still a Gap based system, where as Bicknell runs a lot more lateral zone (which is tailor made for our line), and where the hole is not predetermined, and requires more vision/play IQ from the RB

Pouncey and Gilbert both played in Zone Power systems at Florida.
    Decastro was a pure Zone Read scheme under Harbough, and you can look at Iupati in San Fran for an idea of how dominant I think Decastro can be in a system that focuses on getting him to the 2nd level.
    and yup, you guessed it... Mike Adams played in Tressels Zone Gap system at Ohio St

These guys are all tailor made for a zone based system. We need to get away from Power/Trap systems that have been our bread and butter for years.
    Return of the Banana

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Yea, I guess it's mostly assumption... but nothing else makes sense

Haley ran a ZBS in Kansas City
    Bicknell coached that ZBS in Kansas City

The Steelers did not implement a new running game when Haley came in. The entire playbook for the running game was never implemented, and much of Kirby's old stuff (Arians) remained in the playbook last year

Haley has talked about fully implementing his playbook this year

I mean, we did play a version of zone with Kugler... it's just that it was a power zone (first step forward zone) but it was still a Gap based system, where as Bicknell runs a lot more lateral zone (which is tailor made for our line), and where the hole is not predetermined, and requires more vision/play IQ from the RB

Pouncey and Gilbert both played in Zone Power systems at Florida.
    Decastro was a pure Zone Read scheme under Harbough, and you can look at Iupati in San Fran for an idea of how dominant I think Decastro can be in a system that focuses on getting him to the 2nd level.
    and yup, you guessed it... Mike Adams played in Tressels Zone Gap system at Ohio St

These guys are all tailor made for a zone based system. We need to get away from Power/Trap systems that have been our bread and butter for years.
    I'm not arguing with you. I completely agree that it's the direction they look to be going and the direction they should be going. The line is without a doubt built for it. I was just pointing out that it's just been assumption, though warranted.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    I'm not arguing with you. I completely agree that it's the direction they look to be going and the direction they should be going. The line is without a doubt built for it. I was just pointing out that it's just been assumption, though warranted.
    It did make the Foster re-signing questionable... since Foster is a phone booth player only.
    Beachum on the other hand has incredible upside in a pure zone.

and tendering both Redman and Dwyer doesn't make sense. One of those contracts is a waste of cap space given the assumed schematic switch.
    Return of the Banana

With Will Johnson do we need Redman...

Thread Information