Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Steelers have released Willie Colon

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    259
    My Mood
    Impatient

    Steelers have released Willie Colon

    La Canfora reporting that the Steelers have released Willie Colon.......comes as no real surprise....hopefully to free up some money to throw at Steven Jackson???? A guy can dream can't he....

  2. #2
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_43 View Post
    La Canfora reporting that the Steelers have released Willie Colon.......comes as no real surprise....hopefully to free up some money to throw at Steven Jackson???? A guy can dream can't he....
    was it designated as a "after June 1" ?

    Or did they release outright today, in which case they only realize 1.2 in cap savings?
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  3. #3
    Starter cmerrifield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wilmore KY
    Posts
    1,662
    My Mood
    Impatient

    Re: Steelers have released Willie Colon

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    was it designated as a "after June 1" ?

    Or did they release outright today, in which case they only realize 1.2 in cap savings?
    Less than 1.2 today because of the rule of 51. I am guessing they will use that after June for draft picks and extensions.

    sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_43 View Post
    La Canfora reporting that the Steelers have released Willie Colon.......comes as no real surprise....hopefully to free up some money to throw at Steven Jackson???? A guy can dream can't he....
    Steven Jackson, no thanks plenty of young talent at rb. I'd really like them to go after pollard and DHB.

  5. #5
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    Less than 1.2 today because of the rule of 51. I am guessing they will use that after June for draft picks and extensions.

    sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2
    is that how it works.... so they get the 1.2 in savings they would have received had the outright released him today.
    But since they are designating it for 6/1, they will get the additional savings at that time?

    Is that right?

    Thanks! I always had trouble understanding what was going on in those scenarios!

    Time to update my spreadsheet calculations!


    edit: wait... how does rule 51 apply here?
    Last edited by NeilPatrickBanana; 03-13-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  6. #6
    Starter cmerrifield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wilmore KY
    Posts
    1,662
    My Mood
    Impatient

    Re: Steelers have released Willie Colon

    No, sorry. They get nothing until june 1, if they designated june 1. But in the off-season, only the top 51 salaries count and so Colon's would be replaced with a lower salary, so actual cap savings today would have been .7 and actual cap savings june 2 will be 5, actual season savings is 1.2 or 5.5, but its not the same in the off-season.

    sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

  7. #7
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,776
    Draft Schwenke or B. Jones.... Pouncey to Guard...

  8. #8
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    No, sorry. They get nothing until june 1, if they designated june 1. But in the off-season, only the top 51 salaries count and so Colon's would be replaced with a lower salary, so actual cap savings today would have been .7 and actual cap savings june 2 will be 5, actual season savings is 1.2 or 5.5, but its not the same in the off-season.

    sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2
    got it...
    and we still don't know whether it was June 1 designation or not?

    I think it would be stupid to try to grab the 1.2 now... we already signed Foster, we are paying more for the LG spot if you take Foster's contract and the dead space Colon would eat (pre june 1) and add it together.

    Only makes sense for it to be post june 1
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  9. #9
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    5,840
    Pittsburgh has designated the cut as a June 1 release, clearing $5.5 million off the books and allowing the Steelers to stretch Colon's cap hit over the next two seasons.
    http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000150334/

  10. #10
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    dammit!

    so they receive the cap relief now?

    if so, we suddenly have close to 10 million in space (less Gradkowski contract)
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Steelers plan to keep Willie Colon:
    By LatrobePA in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
  2. Colon to be Released!
    By Real Deal Steel in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 05:40 AM
  4. Willie Colon could be gone?
    By SteelCityKid5 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
  5. Willie Colon
    By jpele in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •