Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Everybody still raving over "rooney rule" including Union Chief

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07033/758819-66.stm

Credits Dan Rooney for 'walking the walk'
    Friday, February 02, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Dan and Art Rooney spent time last week denying there was pressure put on them from the league or the NFL Players Association to hire a minority coach for the Steelers.

Yesterday, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw made it clear that he was delighted the Steelers hired their first black coach in Mike Tomlin.

Upshaw began by noting the historic precedence of having two minority head coaches in the Super Bowl, then turned his attention to Dan Rooney, the team's chairman who arrived in Miami yesterday but did not attend the afternoon NFLPA news conference.

"I want to say to Dan Rooney, he not only walked the walk, he talked the talk," Upshaw said. "It was very important he took that step."

The reference by Upshaw was to the NFL's "Rooney Rule," which requires each team to interview at least one minority coach in their search for a head coach. It was named as such because Dan Rooney pushed for its adoption four years ago.

There were reports that the league office and/or its players association put pressure on the Steelers to hire a minority coach, and Upshaw's comments yesterday did nothing to diminish those reports.

"Not saying other candidates didn't deserve it," Upshaw said, again congratulating Rooney for taking the step he did.

Neither Dan nor Art Rooney could be reached for comment.

I don't know why the NFL and everybody and their brother is still raving over the hiring; not because Tomlin wasn't worthy because he aboslutely was and the Rooney's know what they're doing. We as Steeler fans trust their judgement in the end but people still think, atleast it appears to me, that they are bringing race into it once again and acting like Tomlin was hired because of the Rooney rule instead of on his own merits. Any self respecting NFL fan whether you're a Steeler fan or not knows the Rooney's and their reputation. The fact that Tomlin was hired is a direct reflection of the Rooneys picking the right guy for the job based on his own merits and qualifications. Who cares if he is green, purple, orange, yellow or hot pink ! He deserved after interviewing everybody else, so he got it, plain and simple.

Ugh, can't we just get past this and be thankful he was hired because he's a good coach and that's all ?!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I don't see it as the media pointing out that they hired Tomlin for his race but The Class in the Rooneys to stand by what they Believe in
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

I agree, the rooneys know what they are doing, and if they hired him, then hes the man for the job. race, and miniority have nothing to do with it.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

The big deal right now is the man that came up with the rule is living out the rule now. You all right though when it comes to hiring coaches the Rooney's know how to find them so to us it's not really a big deal

Gold Standard

When nobody sees color anymore.....

Someday it will be nice when people will stop seeing color when looking at other people and just see a person! The United States has come a long way in my lifetime in race relations and equality. Not saying that there isn't more work to be done but its not anything like it was in the 60's or 70's. My wife is a minority and my kids are mixed and I really don't even think about the subject much. After 20 years in the military I don't see colors anymore. I judge people by their character and moral values. You can divide the whole human race into 2 categories in relation to what they bring to this planet, they are either a plague or a blessing! Judging from what I've seen and heard from Mike Tomlin so far I am leaning toward him being a blessing! I for one am glad he's now a Steeler!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Someday it will be nice when people will stop seeing color when looking at other people and just see a person! The United States has come a long way in my lifetime in race relations and equality. Not saying that there isn't more work to be done but its not anything like it was in the 60's or 70's. My wife is a minority and my kids are mixed and I really don't even think about the subject much. After 20 years in the military I don't see colors anymore. I judge people by their character and moral values. You can divide the whole human race into 2 categories in relation to what they bring to this planet, they are either a plague or a blessing! Judging from what I've seen and heard from Mike Tomlin so far I am leaning toward him being a blessing! I for one am glad he's now a Steeler!

Excellent points! I think the only reason we are hearing this is because an African American going forward is still news in this country, like it or not. As 64756 has so clearly pointed out, someday this will NOT be news and when that day comes, this country will have raised the bar where it belongs and we certainly will have moved forward.

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The media just finds every angle to somehow include race in virtually every hiring these days whether it's positive or negative. Im glad the Rooney's found the guy they wanted regardless of if the rule was there or not. I truely believe had they not made the Rooney Rule that they'd have still hired Tomlin this year because that's how they are and what they believe in.

I can't wait for the season to start. That way people can start talking about how great of a coach tomlin is instead of what color his skin is.

Gold Standard

Word

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The media just finds every angle to somehow include race in virtually every hiring these days whether it's positive or negative. Im glad the Rooney's found the guy they wanted regardless of if the rule was there or not. I truely believe had they not made the Rooney Rule that they'd have still hired Tomlin this year because that's how they are and what they believe in.

I totally agree! I believe the Rooney's hired the best coach for the Steelers, not (the best black coaching candidate available)!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    this is getting ****ing stupid.....i bet if we hired rivera no one would give a ****.....there'd be one article about him being hispanic and then never brought up again.....but since tomlin is black ppl can't stfu about it...........they need to get over this color ****
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Thread Information