Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding!

Bookmark and Share

Re: Rebuilding!

Ya the ravens should be worried

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We may be just protecting our depth, any of these new signings can still be cut later along with hampton, colon.. right?

It may not be all that bad, with this same attitude ravens fans should be jumping out of windows...
    Casey Hampton is a free agent

so no, he can't be cut... since he isn't under contract

My Mood
    Grumpy
    I could give a rats a$$ about the RatBirds.......The Steelers are making all the wring moves signing old vets to fill voids.....Plax was one thing but the rest are a major waste of roster spots.....Foote was weak last season he wasn't able to cover any RB, TE, or Slot, all he did was chase the guys as they blew past him......The useless OL they resigned are just that.....Gay was another Retread.......This team is going in the wrong direction Colbert and Tomlin haven't done much to improve so far.......Add to that that Tomlin really isn't a very good HC especially on Game Day........going to be a long long few seasons if the Steeler FO doesn't fix this.........

Quote Originally Posted by USMC607 View Post
    Ya the ravens should be worried

They just lost Pollard too... ouch....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatsSteeler View Post
    I could give a rats a$$ about the RatBirds.......The Steelers are making all the wring moves signing old vets to fill voids.....Plax was one thing but the rest are a major waste of roster spots.....Foote was weak last season he wasn't able to cover any RB, TE, or Slot, all he did was chase the guys as they blew past him......The useless OL they resigned are just that.....Gay was another Retread.......This team is going in the wrong direction Colbert and Tomlin haven't done much to improve so far.......Add to that that Tomlin really isn't a very good HC especially on Game Day........going to be a long long few seasons if the Steeler FO doesn't fix this.........
    Foote plays the Buck LBer position. His role has almost nothing to do with coverage (That would be the Mack, Timmons. or depending on the play call one of the OLBs). The Bucks role is taking on Guards, FBs, etc. He's the guy who blows up the blocking scheme.

The Buck is a position that doesn't need a skilled playmaker. It needs a very strong player, who has a high football IQ, and a proven ability to take the punishment of the position over 16+ games. The perfect Buck, is a guy who has the strength of a Dlineman in a LBers body. And he needs to have adequate, but not playmaker speed. That's Foote to a T.

Foote is a good solid Buck, and he's going to be affordable. We need to groom someone to replace him (would've been Spence). But until we do, I'd rather have a proven, vet on the cheap, than a project or draft pick.

Foote is not a flashy player, and his role is not one that is easy to fill. Young players don't want the Buck role... it doesn't get you paid. No one wants to be a Fullback... and that's essentially what the Buck is, on the other side of the ball.

I love Spence, and I loved the pick. However, he was always a Mack ilb to me, so in that regard I never really understood why they would pick him - I just like him as a player. He'd have to put on a lot of weight to black Buck from what limited action we saw from him.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Draft Pick
    My Mood
    Impatient
    Jason La Canfora reporting that the Steelers are showing interest in former Bears TE Kellen Davis.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    I love Spence, and I loved the pick. However, he was always a Mack ilb to me, so in that regard I never really understood why they would pick him - I just like him as a player. He'd have to put on a lot of weight to black Buck from what limited action we saw from him.
    yea, as a prospect (pre draft) I always viewed him as a mack. He was a sideline to sideline guy.

But I always assumed that after the disaster that was playing Timmons Buck next to Farrior, and bringing Foote back, AND signing Timmons to a monster deal...that the team KNEW something I didn't, and drafted Spence to develop as a Buck, because Timmons is the Franchise Mack.

Otherwise... that's an odd pick in the 3rd.

I agree with you... I had the same initial assessment of Spence before we drafted him.

Re: Rebuilding!

I am confused on what the ravens are doing.
    I understand losing all their free agents because they signed Bert to that ridiculous contract. But letting go of pollard their leading tackler in the playoffs.. Are they trying to free up money to sign Berts lover Ernie or are they attempting to pull something off that im not seeing?

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Yes, the Steelers are rebuilding ... even though that word is looked upon as politically incorrect from the leagues perspective.

See, they believe "Rebuilding sounds too harsh .... too long term .... too much of a negative effect on ticket sales and merchandise" The NFL has told teams to purposely refrain from using that word if they want to protect their revenues.

The term "Re-tooling" sounds much more quick and nimble: ... as if they were merely replacing a few loose screws and tidying up the shed. So yes, the Steelers are re-tooling. What they won't tell you is that every "re-tooling" takes approximately 3 years to accomplish. In the case of the Steelers, it started last year, continued this year, and by next year .... all the aging vets will have been shown the door. The final chapter will ultimately be Polamalu, Ike, and Kiesel (possibly Hampton too if they don't cut him loose this year).

Time to look toward the future my Steelers Nation brethren.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

Thread Information