Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intriguing Prospect to replace Wallace

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

Intriguing Prospect to replace Wallace

Terrell Sinkfield out of Northern Iowa University ran an unofficial 4.19 40 yard dash at his ProDay. Now even if the numbers arent exactly right, the Vikings director of College Scouting clocked him consistently in the lower 4.3s, he still offers blazing speed with a bit more size than Wallace (6-1, 196). Now I dont expect this guy to be a stud or anything, but he would definitely offer the kind of game-breaking speed that teams have to respect and would undoubtedly open up then underneath routes. Which with Wallaces "lapses in concentration" last season was really the biggest upside he brought to the team. Im sure the guy is raw and would take some time to develop seeing as how hes from a lower level college program, much like our soon to be ex one trick pony, but I doubt hed require higher than a 5th rd pick at the most(seeing as how Ive never heard of him til now he may even be able to be an undrafted pick-up). Just curious what others think and if anyone has any further knowledge on this kids potential and skills

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...419-40-pro-day

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Who knows? But I like your train of thought. Colbert has got to do a good job this year. Can't afford to miss with any of our first three picks.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

hand times are so awesome the way they can mysteriously record in the 4.1s....hes a 4.3 guy, 4.19 is absurd

we dont need to replace wallace with a deep threat, we need to replace him with a better all around player. Wallace replaced nate washington perfectly his rookie year, thats because nate washington sucks though it was easy to be a tall fast guy and run deep out of the slot.

then his second year he was asked to replace holmes, he did....but hes not as well rounded as holmes. He was productive, is still young, isnt one dimensional even though one part of his game sticks out above the rest. They need to find someone they are willing to sign long term though, someone with the skill set to do everything in the offense, unfortunately wallace wasnt that guy....but damn i hate seeing him walk for nothing but 4 of the most productive first 4 years for a WR ever. Its a very short list of players as productive as wallace their first 4 years...moss, rice, fitz, calvin...thats about it. Not that hes in the same world as them, but stil...

This is why i love Justin Hunter...i think he can do it all

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hand times are so awesome the way they can mysteriously record in the 4.1s....hes a 4.3 guy, 4.19 is absurd

we dont need to replace wallace with a deep threat, we need to replace him with a better all around player. Wallace replaced nate washington perfectly his rookie year, thats because nate washington sucks though it was easy to be a tall fast guy and run deep out of the slot.

then his second year he was asked to replace holmes, he did....but hes not as well rounded as holmes. He was productive, is still young, isnt one dimensional even though one part of his game sticks out above the rest. They need to find someone they are willing to sign long term though, someone with the skill set to do everything in the offense, unfortunately wallace wasnt that guy....but damn i hate seeing him walk for nothing but 4 of the most productive first 4 years for a WR ever. Its a very short list of players as productive as wallace their first 4 years...moss, rice, fitz, calvin...thats about it. Not that hes in the same world as them, but stil...

This is why i love Justin Hunter...i think he can do it all
    Agreed on every point. Still can't believe all the hate on Wallace with how productive he was for us.

The more I watch Justin Hunter the more I like him. That 6'4" has me drooling a little bit.

Waterboy
    K Train

I would love to see the steelers draft a complete receiver as well, i mean Keenan Allen or Cordarelle Patterson would be picks thatd absolutely make me giddy, but im not getting my hopes up Colbert and Co. are going to grab a WR in Rd. 1. I was looking at this as more of an attempt to minimize the loss of Wallace without breaking the bank to do so. I mean what Wallace did in his first 4 yrs was quite rare, but he was by no means a complete WR. He was a guy with a particular skill set that was exemplified by the type of QB and system he was in. We all saw last yr that Wallaces impact is not nearly the same in our new system, which isnt something i have a problem with. i think Haleys system will really maximize the skills of our current WR's and personnel (like it was until Ben's injury) once everyone becomes comfortable and familiar, and most importantly stays healthy.

Honestly with the short pass type of offense we're running now (and thats what it is whether fans like it or not) I think a tall possession type WR would do more good for the entire offense. And im not talking 6'2 which is tall by our current standards, but a guy more in the 6'4 or 6'5 range. Not only would an addition like this be beneficial to the offense, but I think it could be beneficial to the relationship between Big Ben and Haley as well. If Haley was to go up to bat and push the front offices hand to get their star player the accessory hes wanted since Plax left I think it would serve quite well in smoothing any bumps that may or may not exist The problem with this is from what ive seen available in this draft there isnt really anyone that leaps out at me in this category when it comes to the WR crop. This is why Id really like to see Plax brought back for a chance to see what he has left. Although he was basically a non-factor in his time w us last yr, ive got to say that TD catch in the Cleveland, or it couldve been cincy game, got my pulse pumping a bit just thinking how nice itd be to have the kinda guy who can use his frame and length to snag a ball like that.

The lack of a sizeable WR in this draft makes the alternative of picking up a athletic, tall, and physical TE early in the draft very appealing to me. Not even considering the fact that its unlikely Heath will be anywhere near 100% at the start, or any part, of this upcoming season. In all honesty Im not too well-versed on the TE's available this year but I do know that after watching the BCS Championship game the TE from Notre Dame really caught my attention. The guy has size and at least adequate speed because he lined up on the outside quite a few times and showed the athleticism to go up and make a play on the ball. Something our current TE's, outside of Heath of course, greatly lack.

All in all the front office has been quite disappointing the past few years when it comes to the draft and this is a year we dont have the luxury to absorb more misses than hits. So whether we go after another small playmaking WR, a big lengthy possession WR, or a tall athletic TE the only thing I know for sure is he MUST be a starter caliber player that can make an immediate impact in one form or another

Well said. No place to hide this time Colbert.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I wish Wallace would have been resigned before all the drama started during the 2012 season...I have voiced my opinion on how the Steelers handled Wallace and how I feel they gave Brown way too much money so need to go through that again.....But yea its a shame Wallace is so hated and he was a very productive player for the Steelers.....30+ TD's is four seasons is impressive and factor in he wasn't the number 1 or 2 WR his rookie year.......

As for Sinkfield and I read somewhere he was arrested so I doubt the Steelers draft him.........I would take a late round flier on him in the 6th round though.....

Justin Hunter I agree on all accounts Train and Big T...........

I just did some digging on Hunter. Very intriguing player. Could be a great red zone target for us. And having him and Plexico in the red zone would make Ben lethal.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    43 Catches, 499 Yards, 11.6 Ave, 4 TDs Longest being a 32 yarder... from Northern Iowa who is NOT div 1

Ill pass...

Hand timed 4.1 is worthless

Hes not even the best WR on his team. End of story.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    43 Catches, 499 Yards, 11.6 Ave, 4 TDs Longest being a 32 yarder... from Northern Iowa who is NOT div 1

Ill pass...

Hand timed 4.1 is worthless
    In his defense I did watch some of his video clips and his QB wasn't that impressive and maybe the QB effected his overall numbers....But still I read he was arrested and I doubt the Steelers will draft him but I wouldn't touch him until the 6th round at the earliest.....

Thread Information