Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How should we approach the draft?

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tomlin View Post
    I feel like if we can't get the player we absolutely want I say trade back and get more picks so we can fill more holes. I really hope that Vacarro is there at 17 other than him I don't know who else is an impact player that we need that will fall that far. My guess is all the top OLB will be gone, and that kid Vacarro diagnoses screens and attack them like Troy used to. With the way the screen game is now we need that. Also that would preserve Troy and Clark through out the season. I think that Robert Golden will be one of our starting safeties in the future.
    Vacarro is a fantastic prospect! I'll be very surprised if the Jets pass on him, although it's possible that they will look after their needs at O-Line in round 1. We might have a chance to get Jarvis Jones at 17. A healthy Jarvis Jones would be awesome for us. I have no idea how serious his spinal issue is. The Steelers will know much more about that of course. I would also be thrilled with a top shelf WR prospect even though I know we might be able to find good value at that position in the lower rounds.

Round one is all about BPA.........this will be prepicked by the Steelers. In the first 3 rounds I want to see a Safety, LB and WR....not sure what order.

Not a fan of the DL pick in Round one though. Eventually we just need to let the guys play that we have already picked. I would love to see Dion Jordan, Matt Elan and Da'Rick Rogers in rounds 1 to 3.

I have seen Montee Ball mocked in Round 4....I would take him in 3 or even 4

Quote Originally Posted by BstripeYpaint View Post
    Vacarro is a fantastic prospect! I'll be very surprised if the Jets pass on him, although it's possible that they will look after their needs at O-Line in round 1. We might have a chance to get Jarvis Jones at 17. A healthy Jarvis Jones would be awesome for us. I have no idea how serious his spinal issue is. The Steelers will know much more about that of course. I would also be thrilled with a top shelf WR prospect even though I know we might be able to find good value at that position in the lower rounds.
    I like Woods from USC, I believe he is the best route runner in the draft. Plus hes got really good size and speed. This kid is going to become a number 1 for some team.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Veteran
    I see this as an offensive heavy draft. We need to restock the positions we're losing. They may go after a pass rusher in the first, if one's available and then some combination of WR, RB, TE in the next two. I could see OL depth in the middle of the draft, a back up safety around 5, another OL at the end of the draft.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Could we almost see a need to go LB in the first and second, ala Timmons and Woodley a few years back. I am really concerned with the state of our current LB corp.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tomlin View Post
    I like Woods from USC, I believe he is the best route runner in the draft. Plus hes got really good size and speed. This kid is going to become a number 1 for some team.
    I think there are at least 10 better WR prospects.

Woods is a Jabar Gaffney WR. A solid possession guy who will run crisp routes and has very good hands. But at the end of the day, doesn't have the athleticism, explosiveness, or big play ability to do much more than be a decent #2 at best, and more likely a quality depth WR.
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Could we almost see a need to go LB in the first and second, ala Timmons and Woodley a few years back. I am really concerned with the state of our current LB corp.
    I don't see LBs as the top 2 picks. The O needs a lot of help.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I think there are at least 10 better WR prospects.

Woods is a Jabar Gaffney WR. A solid possession guy who will run crisp routes and has very good hands. But at the end of the day, doesn't have the athleticism, explosiveness, or big play ability to do much more than be a decent #2 at best, and more likely a quality depth WR.
    i dont think gaffney is a fair comparison, hes not that painfully average.

He draws a lot of steve smith comparisons, its not horrible but hes not that much of a pure slot guy either. I think of reggie wayne when i watch him, not a bad down field threat but isnt known for that. Has exceptional quickness and feel for routes and catches the ball well with his hands

I rank the WRs like this:

Keenan Allen
    Cordarelle Patterson
    DeAndre Hopkins
    Justin Hunter
    Terrence Williams
    Robert Woods
    Tavon Austin

I think if there is a good OL still around when Pitt picks in the 1st they should take him. We could have a good and young OL for years to come. This teams goes as far as Ben takes them and he needs to be protected after being injured the last two season and pretty much why Pitt didn't go far in the playoffs in 11 and why they didn't make it this year. Also rbs and wrs are a dime a dozen now days and ain't like it use to be. You have a good OL you only need a serviceable rb to be productive.

I also say no way to a wr in the 1st round for one they usually take a few years before they reach there potential and Michael Crabtree is a prime example. In fact in fantasy football the saying goes the 3rd year is the breakout year for wr. Do we really have the patience to wait for our 1st round pick to flourish ? Not to mention when they do flourish they want big money and you know Pitt doesn't play that game. Makes no sense to groom a wr for another team.
    Last edited by BubbyBlister; 02-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    I think if there is a good OL still around when Pitt picks in the 1st they should take him. We could have a good and young OL for years to come. This teams goes as far as Ben takes them and he needs to be protected after being injured the last two season and pretty much why Pitt didn't go far in the playoffs in 11 and why they didn't make it this year. Also rbs and wrs are a dime a dozen now days and ain't like it use to be. You have a good OL you only need a serviceable rb to be productive.

I also say no way to a wr in the 1st round for one they usually take a few years before they reach there potential and Michael Crabtree is a prime example. In fact in fantasy football the saying goes the 3rd year is the breakout year for wr. Do we really have the patience to wait for our 1st round pick to flourish ? Not to mention when they do flourish they want big money and you know Pitt doesn't play that game. Makes no sense to groom a wr for another team.
    RBs might be a dime a dozen but we dont have one and WRs definitely arent a dime a dozen.

Crabtree had holdout and injury problems and he really thrived under harbaugh, brandon marshall was incredible his second year...you say we dont have the patience, but we really do. We could get a WR that could play limited as a rookie and be good to go next season, you dont just put it off because you dont want to wait a year. Its really not uncommon for rookies to emerge their rookie year as at least a threat and theres several guys that could do that for us this year. Maclin, Jackson, Britt, Nicks, Wright, Gordon, Julio, AJ, bowe are all guys that emerged as legitimate threats as rookies. Then you have guys like sidney rice, roddy white, santonio holmes, jordy nelson that a take a year or two to get going, then theres guys like sweed, reggie williams, malcolm kelly, robert meachem, buster davis, ted ginn, anthony gonzales that never really do anything.

You dont pass on a premier WR talent because he might not contribute much until his second year

id still wouldnt mind warmack though

Thread Information