Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: How should we approach the draft?

Bookmark and Share
    Same with Devone Bess! Not a bad player in his own right but he isnt going to draw coverage FROM Wallace. Were talking about guys who averaged <5 catches a game WITHOUT having a guy whos gonna command the football on their team. I guess i just pictured Wallace going to a team with a passing attack already established. IE: Cinci, New England, New Orleans... Or a Washington situation like last year: If Miami would get Wallace AND Jennings like The Redskins did with Garcon and Morgan to go along with Moss and Davis.

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Brian Hartline is a servicable WR and i think HIS numbers may go up. But, the Dolphins were towards the bottom of the league in Passing and in the bottom half of the league in rushing. Those rushing stats were WITH Reggie bush having a pretty productive year and he's on his way out in MIA. Miller and Thomas combined didnt match the stats of Bush. As for the passing game: I dont think Wallace will be enough for them to even crack the top half of the league. Hartline wont draw coverage away from Wallace. He just int an IMPACT type player. he had 70 recs last year and 1 td. He may have 100 catches and 3-5 tds with teams constantly doubling Wallace and we all know what happens then!
    I disagree with the assessment that calls Hartline a "serviceable" WR

I guess you think Antonio Brown is "serviceable" as well.

Hartline put up 1000+ yards (16th in the NFL) with a rookie QB and in an offense with very little talent around him.
    Hartline is a big, strong guy who can run. He is route disciplined and has good hands.

The TD production was terrible, but... he was the only option in a new offense directed by a rookie QB.

Hartline is much better than you seem to know
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Hartline is much better than you seem to know
    I dont think I under value him: like i said he's serviceable. I dont think thats a slight to him. Like I said: I dont think Mike Wallace is going to meet or surpass the numbers he put up in Pittsburgh. My reasoning is the offense, talent and qb he's going to be playing in... do you disagree? Brian Hartline isnt an impact player in this league yet and im not sure he ever will be. Thats all im saying!

Hartline had 250 yards and a TD against a **** Cardinals secondary... take away that ONE game (one GREAT game) and his numbers look below average to awful... for a number 2 WR!!! My point is you could draft a Brian Hartline every year... and Miami is going to pay him all that money then pay Wallace $11-13 Mil.
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 03-12-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Assistant Coach
    I dont think I under value him: like i said he's serviceable. I dont think thats a slight to him. Like I said: I dont think Mike Wallace is going to meet or surpass the numbers he put up in Pittsburgh. My reasoning is the offense, talent and qb he's going to be playing in... do you disagree? Brian Hartline isnt an impact player in this league yet and im not sure he ever will be. Thats all im saying!
    yes, to a degree I do. Sherman's offense is a highly potent passing attack. Tannehill has a boatload of skill. He's going to need more time to develop... but in a 2nd year, I expect significant improvement.

I also disagree with what you seem to be saying... that any WR who isn't an "impact" guy... must then be considered serviceable

to me, Hartline is a very good #2 WR, like Antonio Brown.

While someone like Jerricho Cotchery who is a #4 WR is a "serviceable guy"... a guy who can come in for you #2/#3 because of injuries, or play on 3rd downs in a possession role. That's "serviceable".

A guy who puts up a 1000 yards in a 1st year offense, with a rookie QB is much more than serviceable.

You say you can draft Brian Hartline every year... and I laugh, because 75&#37; of WR draft picks are busts.

Hartline had 250 yards and a TD against a **** Cardinals secondary... take away that ONE game (one GREAT game) and his numbers look below average to awful... for a number 2 WR!!! My point is you could draft a Brian Hartline every year... and Miami is going to pay him all that money then pay Wallace $11-13 Mil.
    serviceable guys don't put up 250 yard games.

I think you over value what he has done in his career. He had one break out season for yardage. And i see you're leaning really hard on that. What about the rest of his numbers? Over the span of his 4 year career? Look at a guy like TY Hilton: Rookie WR, playing in a first year offense with a rookie QB. He was a 3rd round pick i believe, so yeah you can draft that every year in the right offense. His production value was far better than Brian Hartlines. And he was a 2nd or 3rd option in that offense. Hartline averages like 50-60 yards a game with out that ARI game... and that was as a primary WR,that make him "serviceable" . Add Wallace and im not sure Hartline improves that much. And, NO! He isnt Antonio Brown, not by a stretch, and im as hard on Brown as anyone on here.
    In a passing offense he's a great 3 and a good 2. They dont have a passing offense. And they arent a dominating running team. So what are they? Does Wallace make them that much better? I doubt it!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 03-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Assistant Coach
    I think you over value what he has done in his career. He had one break out season for yardage. And i see you're leaning really hard on that. What about the rest of his numbers? Over the span of his 4 year career? Look at a guy like TY Hilton: Rookie WR, playing in a first year offense with a rookie QB. He was a 3rd round pick i believe, so yeah you can draft that every year in the right offense. His production value was far better than Brian Hartlines. And he was a 2nd or 3rd option in that offense. Hartline averages like 50-60 yards a game (career nos.) and that was as a primary WR. Add Wallace and im not sure Hartline improves that much. And, NO! He isnt Antonio Brown, not by a stretch, and im as hard on Brown as anyone on here.
    your criticism is that I'm leaning to hard on the breakout 4th year of a WR ?

And your comparison is TY Hilton? a guy playing with the most talented rookie QB...ever? A guy playing behind a hall of famer in Reggier Wayne, and a solid 2nd WR in Avery? That's the comparison you thought would make your point? wow

Do you know anything about the Dolphins prior to this season?
    Do you know how awful Dan Henning is as an offensive coordinator?
    Do you know how terrible the QBs they've had before Tannehill were?

At least we know you are talking out of your *** in regards to Hartline... try watching him play next time

And your comparison is TY Hilton? a guy playing with the most talented rookie QB...ever? A guy playing behind a hall of famer in Reggier Wayne, and a solid 2nd WR in Avery? That's the comparison you thought would make your point? wow

Do you know anything about the Dolphins prior to this season?
    Do you know how awful Dan Henning is as an offensive coordinator?
    Do you know how terrible the QBs they've had before Tannehill were?

At least we know you are talking out of your *** in regards to Hartline... try watching him play next time
    You need to calm down!!! Just because I'm not completely sold on Brian Hartline after one year of putting up yards doesnt mean you have to fly off the handle. If youre ready to make that statement so be it! Ive watched him play and Ive known he AND Bess were capable of being better WR's in a better offense with a better QB. But you're talking like the kid is some kind of world beater cause he had a 1,000 yard season. And then you want to get E-tough when i simply disagree with you?!?! Really, Brah... why you mad tho!?

Im not your typical Yinzer there buddy. I watch more than Steeler football, I root for players other than those who wear the Black-n-Gold. Im a football fan first, so to insinuate that im "talking out my ***" doesnt go over to well with me!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 03-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Well how many other examples would you like? How about Denario Alexander? Another player who dominated anything Brian Harlint has done in his career. Where did he come from? Who was his OC? HC? QB?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Because we would have to free up a shitton of money in order to apply the tag in the first place, which was impossible. Besides, both teams might have elected to go after someone else and then keep their draft pick, which would leave Steelers in a really really bad situation. There were way to many risks involved. If anything wrong happened, it happened 2 years ago, where Steelers should have taken care of a new and long contract for him. The second he started holding out, it was likely too late for both parties.
    I hear ya, but all things considered, especially and including how bad the Vikings and Dolphins wanted him, they'd have ponied up the pick. There is always risk...but for them to recoup something, they should have taken it. Okay..in a worse case scenerio they'd have to free up cash to keep him. Like make Troy restructure, like ask Ben to restructure, like cut Harrison. But they should have taken the risk. Worse case, we keep him for another season and we are forced to cut old, dead weight.

The Dolphins would have ponied up the pick or we send him to the Vikings.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I hear ya, but all things considered, especially and including how bad the Vikings and Dolphins wanted him, they'd have ponied up the pick. There is always risk...but for them to recoup something, they should have taken it. Okay..in a worse case scenerio they'd have to free up cash to keep him. Like make Troy restructure, like ask Ben to restructure, like cut Harrison. But they should have taken the risk. Worse case, we keep him for another season and we are forced to cut old, dead weight.

The Dolphins would have ponied up the pick or we send him to the Vikings.
    What would the long term benefits of Franchising Wallace have been? I think i see your point: It sucks making a 3rd round pick into a top flight player and getting NOTHING when he walks 4 years later. But franchising him wouldve cost ~$10mil for one year. He may have sat out ala V-Jack. then been gone next year! I doubt the Fins wouldve ponied up a pick for him THEN sign him to a monster deal.

Thread Information