Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 123

Thread: How should we approach the draft?

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #101
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    17,735
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    If we dont remove the all old guys and use the money on FA a bit to replace one or two holes... we may as well trade Ben for three huge picks. Put a fork in us. The Browns and Bengals are tooling up and were dismantling fast....

    We have 1 ILB 1 OLB 0 TE 2 CB 2S 2 WR 1RB 1FB a ? at G and LT and no real backup QB
    dramatic much?

  2. #102
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Posts
    5,398
    Well, he's got a point. We have a franchise QB. But the front office hasn't given him a competent running game, or a for real # 1 Wide Receiver. If they are not going to surround a franchise QB in his prime, then what's the use?

    Colbert is as imaginative as a rock. K-Train, Coldrolled, myself and a lot of the Steeler nation knew how much the Vikings and Dolphins want Mike Wallace. Why not franchise him and force one of them to give up a 2nd round pick for him? This front office and Rooney live in the stone ages when it comes to football maneuverings and strategy. It's a crying shame.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  3. #103
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Colbert is as imaginative as a rock. K-Train, Coldrolled, myself and a lot of the Steeler nation knew how much the Vikings and Dolphins want Mike Wallace. Why not franchise him and force one of them to give up a 2nd round pick for him? This front office and Rooney live in the stone ages when it comes to football maneuverings and strategy. It's a crying shame.
    This kinda stuff makes us look like a farm team... hope the trend doesnt stick around...

  4. #104
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    5,147
    They don't have the cap room to franchise him

  5. #105
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Well, he's got a point. We have a franchise QB. But the front office hasn't given him a competent running game, or a for real # 1 Wide Receiver. If they are not going to surround a franchise QB in his prime, then what's the use?

    Colbert is as imaginative as a rock. K-Train, Coldrolled, myself and a lot of the Steeler nation knew how much the Vikings and Dolphins want Mike Wallace. Why not franchise him and force one of them to give up a 2nd round pick for him? This front office and Rooney live in the stone ages when it comes to football maneuverings and strategy. It's a crying shame.
    Because we would have to free up a shitton of money in order to apply the tag in the first place, which was impossible. Besides, both teams might have elected to go after someone else and then keep their draft pick, which would leave Steelers in a really really bad situation. There were way to many risks involved. If anything wrong happened, it happened 2 years ago, where Steelers should have taken care of a new and long contract for him. The second he started holding out, it was likely too late for both parties.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  6. #106
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    They don't have the cap room to franchise him
    why is it so hard for some to grasp?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

  7. #107
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Because we would have to free up a shitton of money in order to apply the tag in the first place, which was impossible. Besides, both teams might have elected to go after someone else and then keep their draft pick, which would leave Steelers in a really really bad situation. There were way to many risks involved. If anything wrong happened, it happened 2 years ago, where Steelers should have taken care of a new and long contract for him. The second he started holding out, it was likely too late for both parties.
    Agreed, and speaking from a purely contractual/Mike Wallace standpoint: His hold out now seems like it worked out, for the most part. He had a statistically down year, he was abused by the better part of the city and fan base, blamed by Brown as creating "akwardness"... and he's still gonna get $11-13mil/year with $25-30 mil. guaranteed. This writting was on the wall at this point last year. I agreed (and have for a long time) that the STEELERS, not Wallace, dropped this ball 2 years ago when he started a whole season inplace of Holmes! Now he's reaching his prime and he's gonna get paid as a top tier WR! Wallace-1 Steelers-0 IMHO!

    Now, i will say i dont belive Miami has the offense or the talent for Wallace to succeed/surpass the numbers he put up here in Pittsburgh. Tannehill IS NOT Roethlisberger and they dont hve any WR's to take advantage of the double teams Wallace is gonna draw. My opinion is based PURELY on the contract he's about to sign!

  8. #108
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Agreed, and speaking from a purely contractual/Mike Wallace standpoint: His hold out now seems like it worked out, for the most part. He had a statistically down year, he was abused by the better part of the city and fan base, blamed by Brown as creating "akwardness"... and he's still gonna get $11-13mil/year with $25-30 mil. guaranteed. This writting was on the wall at this point last year. I agreed (and have for a long time) that the STEELERS, not Wallace, dropped this ball 2 years ago when he started a whole season inplace of Holmes! Now he's reaching his prime and he's gonna get paid as a top tier WR! Wallace-1 Steelers-0 IMHO!

    Now, i will say i dont belive Miami has the offense or the talent for Wallace to succeed/surpass the numbers he put up here in Pittsburgh. Tannehill IS NOT Roethlisberger and they dont hve any WR's to take advantage of the double teams Wallace is gonna draw. My opinion is based PURELY on the contract he's about to sign!
    I think Brian Hartline is going to be money in that offense with Wallace drawing safety coverages and Hartline working soft zones and single coverage.

    Hartline is really underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Alex Smith deserved to go instead of Brady.

  9. #109
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    5,147
    Not to mention Davone Bess working the slot. He's a good slot who will be able to take advantage of the coverage Waalace warrants.

  10. #110
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Brian Hartline is a servicable WR and i think HIS numbers may go up. But, the Dolphins were towards the bottom of the league in Passing and in the bottom half of the league in rushing. Those rushing stats were WITH Reggie bush having a pretty productive year and he's on his way out in MIA. Miller and Thomas combined didnt match the stats of Bush. As for the passing game: I dont think Wallace will be enough for them to even crack the top half of the league. Hartline wont draw coverage away from Wallace. He just int an IMPACT type player. he had 70 recs last year and 1 td. He may have 100 catches and 3-5 tds with teams constantly doubling Wallace and we all know what happens then!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
  2. A Quantitative Approach to Steelers Analysis
    By thethinkingguy in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM
  3. Steelers taking the right approach.....
    By DIESELMAN in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM
  4. The Approach to San Fran
    By SteelDad in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
  5. A different approach....thoughts ?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Media - Graphics, Vids, & Pics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •