Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mann as the new Steelers WR coach?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Thoughts on Mann as the new Steelers WR coach?

According to Bouchette, he learned that the team wanted Scottie Montgomery to be more disciplined, putting his foot down more with the receivers. Perhaps since Mann is an older guy, and an old school guy I'm assuming, that will be more disciplined with them and get his message across. The potential was there, even with injuries, to be more productive but every last one of them dropped passes they shouldn't have and just didn't seem to have that same drive and determination like before.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Richard Mann as their new wide receivers coach, it was announced today.

Mann comes to Pittsburgh with 28 years of NFL coaching experience, most recently serving as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receivers coach from 2002-09. In 2009, Mann also served as the Buccaneers’ assistant head coach. In Mann’s first seven seasons with Tampa Bay, the wide receiving corps produced at least one 1,000-yard receiver in each season, which is the longest streak in Buccaneers history. In 2002, Mann was integral in developing the Buccaneers’ receiving unit, which played a key role in the franchise’s first Super Bowl-winning season.

Mann is reunited with Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin, as the two worked together with the Buccaneers from 2002-05, when Tomlin coached the team’s defensive backs.

For the past few years, Mann has been assisting and consulting players as they prepare for the NFL Draft. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Mann spent the 2001 season as the Washington Redskins wide receivers coach. He also spent time as a wide receivers coach with the Kansas City Chiefs (1999-2000), Baltimore Ravens (1997-98), New York Jets (1994-96), Cleveland Browns (1985-1993) and the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts (1982-84). Mann also coached the tight ends for the Browns in 1985 and the Jets in 1995, in addition to coaching the team’s wide receivers.

Before coaching in the NFL, Mann made two stops as a collegiate coach. From 1980-81, Mann coached the wide receivers for the University of Louisville. He got his first college coaching job at his alma mater, Arizona State University, coaching wide receivers from 1974-79.

A native of Aliquippa (Pa.), Mann graduated from Aliquippa High School, the same place he began his coaching career in 1970. He was inducted into the Aliquippa Hall of Fame in 1982 and the Beaver County (Pa.) Hall of Fame in 1999.

i like it, hes experienced, im curious to see what he brings to them

Well they won the SB with decent wr's that were past there prime.
    Joe Jurevicius
    Keenan McCardel
    Keyshawn Johnson

Starter
    So the WR coach wouldn't discipline his players even AFTER it was made to look like Ben and BA were the problem?

Interesting.

Thoughts on Mann as the new Steelers WR coach?

Lets see if Tomlin knows wtf he's doing... I hope so!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Lets see if Tomlin knows wtf he's doing... I hope so!
    exactly.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Time will tell, but the Steelers as a whole, were a very undisciplined team this past season. Let's see how this guy develops young talent; does he have them take axtra reps at practice? Is he a film guy? Is he a stickler for Blocking? I know nothing about this guy, but I do know that the Steelers need to be reigned in a bit (egos).

Banned
    A good WR coach makes the Wr's see the game through the eyes of the QB.

Former QB's converted to WR make great recievers. i.e. Slash and Hines. Randel-El and others.

They understand time and throwing lanes. Wr's who never played a snap at QB have no idea about time and throwing lanes.
    Wr's should have a say in plays called too. If a Wr came to the huddle and told me he had somebody beat, I got him the ball.
    They usually don't come back to the huddle and say they got someone beat unless they have the DB set-up.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Time will tell, but this team needs discipline.

Draft Pick
    Yes. "Time will tell" is how we should think of this. Tomlin's opinion about Mann's teaching methods was shaped by his prior experiences with him in Tampa, so we should relax. Hopefully, we'll be able to get Coach Mann some new raw material to work with from this year's draft.

Here's hoping our receivers get better yields this season. I almost broke my own windows over some of those drops last season; I should probably get my blood pressure checked.

Thread Information