Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Terry Bradshaw always overlooked in the best QB ever category?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Rookie Free Agent Blitzburgh_Mike's Avatar

Why is Terry Bradshaw always overlooked in the best QB ever category?

This may be a little biased but I don't care. Smething that has always bothered me when I hear people discussing "The best QB of all-time" and Bradshaw's name is never mentioned. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Brady is better than Manning. He's got 3 rings. If he wins one more, I think you can compare him to Joe Montana as the greatest QB of all time because Montana has 4." Well what about Bradshaw? He's got 4 too. And spare me the fact that Bradshaw had hall of fame players playing alongside of him on offense and defense. So did Montana. Why not Bradshaw? He's got 4 rings, he was a league MVP, he was a two time Superbowl MVP, he's a first ballot hall of famer. I think people ingest everything into statistical output. It's difficult to do that, especially with the different eras of which Bradshaw, Montana, and Brady played. Brady plays in an era where QBs and passing dominate the league. The stats prove that. Brady also won 3 superbowls during the early part of his career when his stats were not all that impressive. They were solid, but not mind-blowing (not that they need to be, but to some it's all about stats). He was more of a good game manager on a team with a great defense, clutch kicker, and great head coach. Then when Brady's stats started to become mind-blowing, the winning-when-it-matters-most stopped.

This, to me, is what separates Bradshaw and Montana from Brady, Manning, Unitas, Elway, Marino, and everybody else. They were winners and won when in it mattered the most throughout their entire careers. Say whatever you want, but they always got it done. Since Brady won his third Superbowl, he has not been there when the games matter the most. Since 2008, I've been watching Brady in the playoffs and continue to ask myself "This is the guy everybody is lobbying to declare to be the greatest ever?" You could tell the Ravens were going to win this year by halftime. People always say that every great player has a kryptonite like Brady has with the Ravens and Giants. Really? Who was Montana's kryptonite? Who was Bradshaw's?

I'm sorry, but as a Steeler fan sometimes it bothers me that Bradshaw doesn't get the credit he deserves. If we're talking about the best ever, give me Montana and Bradshaw.
    Last edited by Blitzburgh_Mike; 02-12-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Starter
    Because he was a turnover machine.

Really that simple. He turned the ball over from the time he showed up until the time he stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Because he was a turnover machine.

Really that simple. He turned the ball over from the time he showed up until the time he stopped playing.
    So did Favre. I think it is more the overall team he played with. And, he was definitely a post-season QB.

Banned
    I remember Bradshaw battling Hanratty and Gilliam to make the team.

I watched almost every game Brad played. I was an AFL fan living in the burg in the 60's. Steelers were NFL.
    When Bradshaw and the other QB's were battling for playing time, it made news in the burg. I started paying attention because I thought Bradshaw was strange.

The Steelers won in spite of Bradshaw, he sometimes seemed to be trying to throw games away. In the Super Bowl, he stepped up his play. It seemed like the Steelrs won a lot of 3-0 type games. The "D" could pitch shut-outs with regularity, or surrender points sparingly, and scored off turnovers a lot. Staubach, Tarkenton, Stabler, and BRAD were the main men.

Bradshaw was the guy who handed off to Harris and Bleier, and throw it up for grabs to Swann and Stallworth, Cunningham.
    When he waasn't fumbling the handoff, he was throwing picks into triple coverage.

Not only was Bradshaw a bad QB, but he wasn't even a good game manager.

Seemed like every year we were hoping someone would beat out Bradshaw.

Banned
    I remember Bradshaw battling Hanratty and Gilliam to make the team.

I watched almost every game Brad played. I was an AFL fan living in the burg in the 60's. Steelers were NFL.
    When Bradshaw and the other QB's were battling for playing time, it made news in the burg. I started paying attention because I thought Bradshaw was strange.

The Steelers won in spite of Bradshaw, he sometimes seemed to be trying to throw games away. In the Super Bowl, he stepped up his play. It seemed like the Steelrs won a lot of 3-0 type games. The "D" could pitch shut-outs with regularity, or surrender points sparingly, and scored off turnovers a lot. Staubach, Tarkenton, Stabler, and BRAD were the main men.

Bradshaw was the guy who handed off to Harris and Bleier, and throw it up for grabs to Swann and Stallworth, Cunningham.
    When he waasn't fumbling the handoff, he was throwing picks into triple coverage.

Not only was Bradshaw a bad QB, but he wasn't even a good game manager.

Seemed like every year we were hoping someone would beat out Bradshaw.

So what I've learned is, the team with the most Super Bowls and the fourth-most NFL championships has never had a great QB.

Whatever.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Two things. 1. Like what was mentioned earlier with all the hall fame players the Steelers had in that era on both sides of the ball. People think the Steelers would have won those Superbowls with any qb. 2. Bradshaw has turn into quite the comedian the last 30 years and most aren't taking his accomplishments serious. But like the original poster said give me Bradshaw and Montana any day.

Banned
    Bradshaw played good in big games. Maybe better than anybody. Of course, he was surrounded by great players, so..............

Rookie Free Agent Blitzburgh_Mike's Avatar
    so..........was Montana.

Starter
    i take prime Terry over marcia brady anyday of the week, and twice on superbowl sunday.

Thread Information