Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Harrison & Troy as trade bait???

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

Harrison & Troy as trade bait???

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly... In your opinion, even in hindsight, we should've cleaned house right before the season we made the Super Bowl? Just one year after we WON the Super Bowl? Got it...
    Keeping the super bowl team together was absolutely the right thing to do

But now, te right thing to do is pay the piper

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    Keeping the super bowl team together was absolutely the right thing to do

But now, te right thing to do is pay the piper
    Exactly. The cap situation is unfortunate but, IMO, they went about it the right way, for as long as they could. Now they have to make a few tough decisions. It sucks, but it's necessary.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    There is no trade market in the NFL. No team will give up any draft picks of value for players, it doesn't happen. You have to draft well, and retain your own picks. The Steelers will do what they always do, and restructure as much as possible, and then cut a few high priced vets. If that happens to be Harrison, so be it. I would like to see him stay some how at a reduced salary, and be moved inside next to LT. Then draft a pass rusher of OLB. Anyone that thinks Worilds is a legit pass rusher hasn't been watching the same games I have.

The Steelers always find a way to navigate the "impossible Salary Cap overages", I believe they will be able to do it again, and field a competitive team. We may have to end up seeing what some players like Sylvestor and similar guys can actually do, but I for one am ok with that.

Doesn't the cap grow sizably in 2014 when the new TV revenue hits anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tburg68 View Post
    There is no trade market in the NFL. No team will give up any draft picks of value for players, it doesn't happen.
    You sure in the NFL or in Pittsburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    You sure in the NFL or in Pittsburgh?
    Right, like no other teams in the NFL make trades worth anything...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Does Harrison or Worilds have more sacks the last two years?
    The real question, is will Harrison or Worilds have more in the next two?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Exactly. The cap situation is unfortunate but, IMO, they went about it the right way, for as long as they could. Now they have to make a few tough decisions. It sucks, but it's necessary.
    Restructuring or extending anyone over 30 (besides Ben) should be completely off the table

I don't want to see Harrison go at all but with that said. No way should we lose a up in coming player like Kennan Lewis to keep Harrison. Personally with restructuring a few vets and letting a few players go the Steelers should be fine under the cap. Heck they are always 10,000,000 plus over every year and this is nothing new.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    I don't want to see Harrison go at all but with that said. No way should we lose a up in coming player like Kennan Lewis to keep Harrison. Personally with restructuring a few vets and letting a few players go the Steelers should be fine under the cap. Heck they are always 10,000,000 plus over every year and this is nothing new.
    In the old days, they simply let players walk... the difference today is that they've kept a Championship team together by going 2nd and 3rd contract deeep with more players than they did in the past. And the amount of restructuring they've done over the last few years has caught up. Restructuring doesn't magically make cap dollars disappear, it simply pushes them onto the next season, where they compound with other salary and previous bonus.

The Steelers have a much different cap situation this year, than they had in the past...

Remember... a rookie class is going to eat up about 6-7 million in cap space... we are about 14-17 million over the cap right now. That's 20-24 million in cap space we need to find... before we start trying to sign ANY of our own or other free agents.

pay the piper now... start cutting

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    In the old days, they simply let players walk... the difference today is that they've kept a Championship team together by going 2nd and 3rd contract deeep with more players than they did in the past. And the amount of restructuring they've done over the last few years has caught up. Restructuring doesn't magically make cap dollars disappear, it simply pushes them onto the next season, where they compound with other salary and previous bonus.

The Steelers have a much different cap situation this year, than they had in the past...

Remember... a rookie class is going to eat up about 6-7 million in cap space... we are about 14-17 million over the cap right now. That's 20-24 million in cap space we need to find... before we start trying to sign ANY of our own or other free agents.

pay the piper now... start cutting
    I agree with start cutting just make sure it's the right cuts and those players can be replaced., Wallace, Mendy, Hampton and a few of the OL can be let go without much loss. Well Wallace will hurt some but he is gone no matter what.

Thread Information