Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: tough times ahead for Colbert and the front office in the years ahead

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    Mendenhall would be very, very good in a zone blocking scheme. Especially if the line can stay healthy. If they go zone they better resign Mendenhall, sign Reggie Bush, or draft a guy like Eddie Lacy/Giovani Bernard. Redman/Dwyer would be useless.

tough times ahead for Colbert and the front office in the years ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Mendenhall would be very, very good in a zone blocking scheme. Especially if the line can stay healthy. If they go zone they better resign Mendenhall, sign Reggie Bush, or draft a guy like Eddie Lacy/Giovani Bernard. Redman/Dwyer would be useless.
    I likey!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like that! Still would love to draft a RB like Lacy, Giaovani, or Ellington. Heck, why not take a shot at Lattimore in the later rounds.

My question is: Has Mendy burned too many bridges with Tomlin to re-sign?

C-town

Starter
    Mendenhall is gone. Let it go.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    There is word from the local Pittsburgh paper that the offense may be going to a zone blocking scheme. A scheme that would better suit Mendenhall. Don't know how true it is but that's what's being reported.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    There is word from the local Pittsburgh paper that the offense may be going to a zone blocking scheme. A scheme that would better suit Mendenhall. Don't know how true it is but that's what's being reported.
    That could be very true. Saw an article earlier suggesting the same. I just don't know if Mendy will be back, he may have burned too many bridges.

Banned

tough times ahead for Colbert and the front office in the years ahead

I've been hoping and suggesting that they go to a zone scheme all winter. They are built for it up front now.

But I don't think they should bring mendy back. Hes never shown the vision or quickness to suggest he'll be a great zone back.

Joique Bell is the answer... ( or just my sleeper "next" RB)

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I have to admit, a zone blocking scheme where Mendy would essentially be making one cut (on paper) sounds outstanding.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Veteran
    The new OL coach they hired is a zone block guy, so I'd say that's likely the scheme they will use.

Banned
    I really don't see a ZBS being a benefit to Mendy. He is not a decisive runner.

Couple Names to look at in free agency ( considering the move to ZBS)

1. Joiquie Bell - I know... I know... i'm becoming repetitive. He's also RFA. He's gonna be a player in the NFL
    2. Felix Jones - BUST. But only 25. And DEFINITELY has the one cut skill set necessary to be effective in a zone scheme. I've never liked him. I can't believe I have him on a list... BUT... he is the one free agent who has the type of ceiling that we could hit a home run with.
    3. Justin Forsett - We are going to need a return guy as well. Forsett is an undersized guy, who is never going to be an every down back. But he is a good fit as a change of pace guy in ZBS. With added use as a return guy. He was highly successful in limited opportunities behind the best zone blocking line in football (houston)
    4. Tim Hightower - A proven zone runner. Not sure what the status is on his reconstructed knee, but I'd like get him in camp on the cheap and find out
    5. Brandon Jackson - A total bust.. should be league minimum cheap. Is an effective 3rd down back.

Thread Information