Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers WR Coach Leaves For OC Job At Duke

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    Dear Cricker24, I respectfully ask you "why shouldn't the Steelers consider Hines Ward as a candidate for receivers coach"? One day, he might leave us for a coaching position at the Univ. of Georgia, but until then I think he would do a great job in that role. He's a loyal Steeler with much position-specific knowledge to share. The Steelers will need to add new talent at wide receiver right away; Hines Ward would have an informed opinion on that too.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Read that in no way Hines would take this job... I thought the same thing!
    I doubt he would but u cant deny he could turn these receivers around.. and its not like he doesnt know the organization

Steelers WR Coach Leaves For OC Job At Duke

Quote Originally Posted by jdehoff83 View Post
    I doubt he would but u cant deny he could turn these receivers around.. and its not like he doesnt know the organization
    I'd love it... Maybe turn them into men not boys!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Because Hines is an *** clown. That's why.
    Whatever you think about him. He was dependable, and a leader the receivers def need. He blocked he caught and would run the middle.. u say *** clown. Well then this team needs more of em lol

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by weakdraft View Post
    Bens reluctance to turn the ball loose not only causes the "called play" to break down, but it is also hard for your linemen to block for you if they have no idea where you are behind them. They don't have eyes on the back of their heads.
    you wish you knew what you were talking about ben extending the play is most often caused by poor o-line play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdehoff83 View Post
    Whatever you think about him. He was dependable, and a leader the receivers def need. He blocked he caught and would run the middle.. u say *** clown. Well then this team needs more of em lol
    Would this be the same Hines who didn't want to move to the slot to help other players in certain situations?

Would this be the same Hines who also said his coaches shouldn't "abuse him" during 2002 camp?

Would this be the same Hines who held out of 2005 camp with a SIGNED contract? Him?

And you want this guy coaching?

If the steelers go into next year with Brown/Sanders/Cotchery as there 3. We are in deep ****.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Would this be the same Hines who didn't want to move to the slot to help other players in certain situations?

Would this be the same Hines who also said his coaches shouldn't "abuse him" during 2002 camp?

Would this be the same Hines who held out of 2005 camp with a SIGNED contract? Him?

And you want this guy coaching?
    Yup. The reality of it is if he could make a good coach for the team what does that other stuff have to do with it? Other than your opinion of the person he is.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BstripeYpaint View Post
    Dear Cricker24, I respectfully ask you "why shouldn't the Steelers consider Hines Ward as a candidate for receivers coach"? One day, he might leave us for a coaching position at the Univ. of Georgia, but until then I think he would do a great job in that role. He's a loyal Steeler with much position-specific knowledge to share. The Steelers will need to add new talent at wide receiver right away; Hines Ward would have an informed opinion on that too.
    I wrote this on another Steeler site as to why I don't think it's a good idea to have Hines Ward as the next Steelers WR Coach. Before I get to that, please know that Hines is my all-time favorite football player EVER!! Also, if somehow Ward did become the WR Coach, I wouldn't say it's the worst hire ever. He just wouldn't be my first choice and here's why.

First, the man has zero coaching experience whatsoever. I want a guy that has experience and results before I want a guy that's never coached at all. Second, he’s only been away from the team for one season. People will point to Carnell Lake as a former Steeler who has been a great coach for them, but he was away from the Steelers for a long time before he became the DB Coach, so he had/has no prior relationship with the players. Hines knows Brown, Sanders and Cotchery from playing with them the last few years, so you run the risk of having the same situation you had with Big Ben and Arians, where you're buddies with each other too much. I’d want a guy that has no connection with these players so that when he has to be tough on them, they actually listen. Does that make sense?

Chris

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricker24 View Post
    I wrote this on another Steeler site as to why I don't think it's a good idea to have Hines Ward as the next Steelers WR Coach. Before I get to that, please know that Hines is my all-time favorite football player EVER!! Also, if somehow Ward did become the WR Coach, I wouldn't say it's the worst hire ever. He just wouldn't be my first choice and here's why.

First, the man has zero coaching experience whatsoever. I want a guy that has experience and results before I want a guy that's never coached at all. Second, he’s only been away from the team for one season. People will point to Carnell Lake as a former Steeler who has been a great coach for them, but he was away from the Steelers for a long time before he became the DB Coach, so he had/has no prior relationship with the players. Hines knows Brown, Sanders and Cotchery from playing with them the last few years, so you run the risk of having the same situation you had with Big Ben and Arians, where you're buddies with each other too much. I’d want a guy that has no connection with these players so that when he has to be tough on them, they actually listen. Does that make sense?

Chris
    All valid points.

Thread Information