Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Dulac, Stating The Obvious But Is 100% Correct

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach
    i wouldnt waste a 1st on any of the TEs in this draft...
    My Steeler Mock Draft
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Mich St
    2. Allen Robinson, WR Penn St
    3. Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona St
    4. Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson
    5a. Brent Urban, DE Virginia
    5b. Kevin Pierre-Louis, ILB Boston College
    6. Dontae Johnson, CB North Carolina St
    7. Zach Kerr, NT Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    explain how... because not only do I completely disagree, but so does the coaching staff based on the direction they are taking the oline.

They want their tackles to work in space, and their Guards to be able to get to the next level quickly. They aren't looking for maulers, they are looking for movers.... Look at the guards out in KC the last few years. Smaller athletic guys like Lilja and Hochstein and Asamoah. These guys are 300 pounders... not maulers like Colon or Kemoeatu.

Sorry... you're wrong on this one.
    they dont want smurfs blocking for them though..cooper is like 290 pounds and 6-3...decastro is 6-5 316. pouncey is 6-5 310, warmack is 6-3 320 and can move way better than you are giving him credit for

tackles work much better in space when they have stud guards playing, im just not that high on cooper right now his weight is a serious concern for me. i cant think of a single dline i wouldnt feel comfortable playing warmack, pouncey, and decastro against.

Mike adams is a great second level player, gilbert not so much but by upgrading the interior with guys who can move, move others, and pass block (all three would be awesome at all of them) that allows the tackles to play in space.

They are going much more like the saints than they are the broncos (shanny) or texans (kubiak) or the chiefs (we dont have a one cut runner like charles, foster, or any broncos back from the last decade). Saints got studs in nicks and evans (and now grubbs) but they arent really pure zone guys, but they allow them to play anyone at tackle effectively

Warmack, like decasto is a top 5 player in the draft...if he or jones are there it would be tough to pass.....i do like ertz there too, as well as vacarro, mingo, eifert, patterson, allen.

aside from that though, im not opposed to drafting frederick in 2 and making pouncey the best LG in the league (and probably take a load off his ankles)

side note: Dion Jordan is really souring on me as a first round pick lately, i was on board for a while but the more i watch the more i think hes gonna be aaron maybin. he looks like hes gonna be under 230 which is scary
    Last edited by K Train; 02-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Assistant Coach
    with Haley and Bicknell... I think it's patently ridiculous to say they aren't going to be like the Chiefs because they lack a 1 cut runner. They will be adding RBs both through FA and the draft. They most definitely will be going towards 1 cut, stretch zone scheme.

The running game you saw this year was the Arians/Kirby running game... they will be installing an entirely new running game.

Jordan played the entire season with a torn labrum... i'm not worried, because the athletic talent is visible on tape. I hate the Maybin comparison. Maybin was a pure DE... and even the tape showed you that he was a one trick pony, who was going to struggle when his first step was neutralized by NFL Tackles, and his skillsets as a rusher were non existant after that first step. Too often explosion off the line is confused for athleticism and speed. Maybin was slow as mollasas. And his explosion at the NFL level was not nearly enough to make up for his shortcomings in speed and technique.

Jordan is playing all over the field. His athleticism is on display in multiple fronts and multiple roles. Is he raw? Yup, but he has the things that can't be taught and nothing that indicates he anything less.
    My Steeler Mock Draft

My Mood
    Fine
    6'6" physical te. I'd take them all day. I'm sure we can get one later in the draft. However I'd move back in the round unless Warmack is the. I'd snatch Warmack.

with Haley and Bicknell... I think it's patently ridiculous to say they aren't going to be like the Chiefs because they lack a 1 cut runner. They will be adding RBs both through FA and the draft. They most definitely will be going towards 1 cut, stretch zone scheme.

The running game you saw this year was the Arians/Kirby running game... they will be installing an entirely new running game.

Jordan played the entire season with a torn labrum... i'm not worried, because the athletic talent is visible on tape. I hate the Maybin comparison. Maybin was a pure DE... and even the tape showed you that he was a one trick pony, who was going to struggle when his first step was neutralized by NFL Tackles, and his skillsets as a rusher were non existant after that first step. Too often explosion off the line is confused for athleticism and speed. Maybin was slow as mollasas. And his explosion at the NFL level was not nearly enough to make up for his shortcomings in speed and technique.

Jordan is playing all over the field. His athleticism is on display in multiple fronts and multiple roles. Is he raw? Yup, but he has the things that can't be taught and nothing that indicates he anything less.
    my problem isnt really comparing the players, its the situation...maybin was praised for his explosive first step, he lost that when he gained weight to play OLB/DE in the pros and any tackle could just neutralize him. for a 34 LB it would be scary to take jordan if hes beween 220-230, not because hes a bad player but because he will easily be neutralized especially at his height...hes still a WR transitioning to playing defense, but his best fit may not be 34 OLB but rather a stand up 43 OLB ala manny lawson cause like you said he did play everywhere

and as far as warmack goes, i guess were not going to agree but he can play in the new system just as good...all teams run some variation of power man and ZBS, i get what they were doing in KC in drafting guys like asamoah and hudson (hudson is a guy that was undersized but so perfectly technically sound, i swear he didnt miss a block his entire 4 years starting for FSU) but its not like albert and winston are the prototypes for ZBS OTs.

I am not saying they need a player like warmack, but theres not way cooper would make them better than warmack would. I would not want Larry Warford, he does not fit and he can not move...warmack definitely can

Id prefer a WR anyway, or pass rusher, or TE....just saying how Jordan doesnt seem like the best fit to me anymore
    Last edited by K Train; 02-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Jonathan Cooper checks into the combine at 311 pounds, he is poised to skyrocket up boards at that weight

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Jonathan Cooper checks into the combine at 311 pounds, he is poised to skyrocket up boards at that weight
    Cooper is a better fit for us.
    I still wouldnt draft OL in the first
    My Steeler Mock Draft

Assistant Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    my problem isnt really comparing the players, its the situation...maybin was praised for his explosive first step, he lost that when he gained weight to play OLB/DE in the pros and any tackle could just neutralize him. for a 34 LB it would be scary to take jordan if hes beween 220-230, not because hes a bad player but because he will easily be neutralized especially at his height...hes still a WR transitioning to playing defense, but his best fit may not be 34 OLB but rather a stand up 43 OLB ala manny lawson cause like you said he did play everywhere

and as far as warmack goes, i guess were not going to agree but he can play in the new system just as good...all teams run some variation of power man and ZBS, i get what they were doing in KC in drafting guys like asamoah and hudson (hudson is a guy that was undersized but so perfectly technically sound, i swear he didnt miss a block his entire 4 years starting for FSU) but its not like albert and winston are the prototypes for ZBS OTs.

I am not saying they need a player like warmack, but theres not way cooper would make them better than warmack would. I would not want Larry Warford, he does not fit and he can not move...warmack definitely can

Id prefer a WR anyway, or pass rusher, or TE....just saying how Jordan doesnt seem like the best fit to me anymore
    I respect your doubts

For me, Jordan is comparable to Troy P, in the sense that he's an athletic freak who you design a defense around. I'm not worried about his size as long as the idea in drafting him isn't to line him up in the same position and run the same plays that you did with James Harrison.

I think Jordan is a potential game changer, and you draft him as such.
    My Steeler Mock Draft

Assistant Coach
    and... eric winston is the prototype ZBS tackle.
    My Steeler Mock Draft

I respect your doubts

For me, Jordan is comparable to Troy P, in the sense that he's an athletic freak who you design a defense around. I'm not worried about his size as long as the idea in drafting him isn't to line him up in the same position and run the same plays that you did with James Harrison.

I think Jordan is a potential game changer, and you draft him as such.
    Dont have total faith they would use him like that, i fear they would put him in a position to struggle since they are used to these shorter, stockier, powerful OLBs.

Imo hes 3rd on potential pass rushers for us...hes very comfortable in space which would help him out tremendously, but we could be looking at demarcus ware or we could be looking at julian peterson/manny lawson who is a bad fit for us, despite being good players.

Jarvis Jones imo is better than Von Miller was
    Barkevious Mingo is better than Aldon Smith
    then you have Dion Jordan, who has all the tools but hes not going to be a plug and play player like everyone around here wants...im just saying right now that if the steelers draft a guy like jordan or cordarelle patterson we are going to have a lot of people bitching about how they are busts right away but they are guys that are going to need patience

His 40 time might shoot him to the jets at 9 though
    Last edited by K Train; 02-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Thread Information