Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac, Stating The Obvious But Is 100% Correct

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad

Dulac, Stating The Obvious But Is 100% Correct

????: "Your thoughts as to which position will need to improve in order for the Steelers to improve next season? And your best guess on which position the Steelers need to draft with a high pick?

Gerry Dulac: I think the Steelers have to improve at a number of positions, starting with wide receiver. This is essential because the team should be built around Ben Roethlisberger, and the impending loss of Mike Wallace is only going diminish his quality targets, not to mention hurt what was a very disappointing unit in 2012.

The makeup of the roster has to change too. You can't keep 6 running backs and only 4 wide receivers when you have a quarterback like No. 7. The Packers had seven -- seven!! -- wide receivers and FIVE tight ends on their roster last year to accommodate Aaron Rogers. That is the first thing the Steelers must change.

And they have to get more production from their ouside linebackers. That is the lifeblood of their defense, and their failure to generate the necessary pressure from that position was a glaring fault/problem in 2012."
    "IMO, we need someone of Boldin's size and skill. Can't stand the Ravens, but you can't deny his ability to get up over a defernder, position himself properly, fight for the ball and hold on to it. I thought we had that in AB until last season. Any shot at grabbing such a talent in this draft?

Gerry Dulac: Antonio Brown is not that type of receiver, not like Boldin. That was more Hines Ward's niche. But Todd Haley would like to get a tall receiver for Roethlisberger, so i would expect the Steelers to identify that type of player in the draft. If that's me, I use two of my top five picks on WRs, not waiting till the seventh round like they did last year."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -chat-2613

The Steelers did keep to many RB's (plus to many mediocre RB's) and didn't keep enough WR's........Plus even though Miller is a beast the Steelers still could a huge upgrade at the TE position.......The Steelers must adapt to survive in the new NFL were offenses rule and really just patch work the defense....I only want to see a pass rusher drafted early and the rest of the picks should be used on offense......So enough with all this talk about using the first pick on a DL, corner or safety.....

As of right now heading into next year and its pretty much clear that Wallace won't be back but here is the list of Steelers skill positions....

RB-Redman-Dwyer, Batch
    WR-Brown, Sanders,Cotchery
    TE-Paulson, Pope (Miller probably won't be ready at the start of the season)

By the worst skill position players in the NFL........

OFFENSE,OFFENSE,and MORE OFFENSE this draft please.......first five picks should be WR, pass rusher, TE, RB, WR........don't care which order......

Banned
    pretty much what I've been saying for the last few months...

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    pretty much what I've been saying for the last few months...
    I know you have and others have as well....I'm just saying there is still some talk about drafting a DL or safety early which really doesn't make sense......When looking how mediocre our RB's are and how weak the WR's/TE's look right now.....

But I just like how the article touched on keeping to many RB's which is spot on.....Keeping only 4 WR's in the NFL these days is just insane......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I know you have and others have as well....I'm just saying there is still some talk about drafting a DL or safety early which really doesn't make sense......When looking how mediocre our RB's are and how weak the WR's/TE's look right now.....

But I just like how the article touched on keeping to many RB's which is spot on.....Keeping only 4 WR's in the NFL these days is just insane......
    Drafting DL early would be idiotic. Safety in the 1st would be idiotic.
    I could see safety in the 2nd or 3rd... depending on what we do about the cap.

I dont think the fan base recognizes how dire the cap situation is. There are going to be more cuts than people realize.

If an elite pass rusher isn't there at #17, a guy they believe starts right away.... then they will take the top WR available.
    (or at least that's what they SHOULD do)

They should draft a RB at some point... but, I think they address that in free agency where there are always viable options for low range contracts

My Mood
    Mad

I dont think the fan base recognizes how dire the cap situation is. There are going to be more cuts than people realize.

If an elite pass rusher isn't there at #17, a guy they believe starts right away.... then they will take the top WR available.

They should draft a RB at some point... but, I think they address that in free agency where there are always viable options for low range contracts
    I agree 100 percent with you........first round its WR or pass rusher no doubt....

I also expect cuts and don't look for any Reggie Bush or Bowe signing in free agency....They don't have the cap room so yea the Steelers only option will be to look for bargain type FA's........

Banned
    Gerry Dulac: I think the Steelers have to improve at a number of positions, starting with wide receiver. This is essential because the team should be built around Ben Roethlisberger, and the impending loss of Mike Wallace is only going diminish his quality targets, not to mention hurt what was a very disappointing unit in 2012.

The makeup of the roster has to change too. You can't keep 6 running backs and only 4 wide receivers when you have a quarterback like No. 7. The Packers had seven -- seven!! -- wide receivers and FIVE tight ends on their roster last year to accommodate Aaron Rogers. That is the first thing the Steelers must change.
    Dulac may lose his press credentials for that one. Art II is probably livid.

if you look at it like this and jarvis jones is not there

you trade back get another #2 and pick up the TE in the first or WR

then load up on two more good picks in the second...

there is only one, maybe 2 elite pass rushers in the draft....i highly doubt one is there at 17, though jarvis MIGHT be

they are 10 million over the cap, really not that bad...they are never extremely under the cap, but always float right around where they are now

heres the current caps:

Current Cap Space, Up-to-Date as of Feb 7, 1620 EST

Arizona ($723,000)
    Atlanta $4.9M
    Baltimore $20.05M
    Buffalo $20.6M
    Carolina ($11.8M)
    Chicago $13.3M
    Cincinnati $55.1M
    Cleveland $50.4M
    Dallas ($18.2M)
    Denver $18.5M
    Detroit $7.4M
    Green Bay $7.1M
    Houston $12.9M
    Indianapolis $46M
    Jacksonville $22.1M
    Kansas City $16.1M
    Miami $35.8M
    Minnesota $16.1M
    New England $18.6M
    New Orleans ($14.7M)
    NY Giants $4.45M
    NY Jets ($19.4M)
    Oakland ($4.5M)
    Philadelphia $14.8M
    Pittsburgh ($10.8M)
    San Diego $8.7M
    San Francisco $3.9M
    Seattle $18.6M
    St. Louis $1.3M
    Tampa Bay $31.3M
    Tennessee $19.4M
    Washington ($3.3M)

Cuts Accounted For:
    BAL Ray Lewis
    CLE Frostee Rucker
    DET Titus Young, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Stephen Peterman
    NYG Michael Boley, Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty
    PHI Demetress Bell
    WAS DJ Johnson

Signings Accounted For
    NYG Bear Pascoe
    STL Titus Young
    Id say Hampton, Colon are definite cuts

Harrison, Troy, Ike could all be in contention

Woodley and Brown will be able to shave some money off with a restructure.

Pretty sure they could extend pouncey and lower the hit for this season

Leaves the top 6 needs as WR, OLB, S, G, CB, and RB

I am confident in Lewis (who will be resigned) and allen with Curtis Brown in the nickel, but that adds a need for a guy like Xavier Rhodes or Brandon Banks to be a possibilty in the first and guys like Amerson (even as a safety) in the second.

Like Vaccaro, Reid, Elam as potential safeties that could contribute early

I like jarvis jones, mino, and jordan as first round pass rushers and chase thomas, brandon jenkins as 2nd/3rd rounders

Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson are my guys at WR in 1, while Deandre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, and Terrence Willaism are excellent second round guys

Still dont like the hole on the oline, I'd like to fill LG or C (and move pouncey to LG)

I see a major overhaul coming... soon!

Banned
    If they don't sign a real #1 WR and they don't draft a WR in the first round, then I'll be anticipating next season with as much excitement as a Browns fan.

I bet they take a RB in the first round because a fraction of what Crash says about Rooney living in the 70s and taking too much of an active role in the team's structuring and management holds true in my opinion.

Thread Information