Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: How to rank QBs (an honest discussion)

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,435

    How to rank QBs (an honest discussion)

    Before even ranking QBs, and comparing our opinions and calling each other trolls and retards, wouldn't it be fun to come to an agreed upon method for doing those rankings first? If you think this is the dumbest idea ever... that's cool to, you can still participate.

    We will have a separate thread later to actually post our rankings (under the agreed upon method). This thread is simply for determining how we will grade QBs to come up with our own rankings. If we use the same method, it will make the coming arguments far easier to debate.

    Here's my suggestion. Hate away at it.

    1. A 1 to 10 rating will be given for each category, including half scores (i.e. 7.5, 8.0, 8.5)
    2. Categories :
    - Talent/Skill - Your subjective opinion about the skill set of the QB. Completely your own interpretation base don the skill sets you deem the most important and valuable from passing, to IQ, to athleticism, etc
    - Performance - The QB statistics. Generally, viewed in the present. You can define present as you see fit (this past season? The last few seasons? Whatever you want.
    - Career - The results. Wins, Playoffs, Rings, Accolades. The entire career.
    - Potential - The ceiling, generally for younger players. Your projections.
    - Intangible - The completely subjective opinion on the things that may not fall into other categories (leadership, clutch ability, etc)
    3. Weight - The percent of the total score that each category should account for
    - Talent/Skill : 40 percent
    - Performance : 30 percent
    - Career :
    20 percent if 5 or more seasons
    10 percent if 3 or 4 seasons
    0 percent if 1 or 2 seasons
    - Potential :
    0 percent if 5 or more seasons
    10 percent if 3 or 4 seasons
    20 percent if 1 or 2 seasons
    - Intangible : 10 percent

    Rank each QB with a 1-10 score (using half scores when you want)
    Apply the proper weight based on category and QB seasons
    Total it up

    This is simply how I would do a basic ranking without getting into TOO much detail. I'm open to suggestions/changes in categories, weights, etc. I think it would be far more interesting to have a conversation about QBs, where we are all using a similar method to rank/rate QBs... the arguments would be much more organized.

    Anyone want to play with the troll?
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  2. #2
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,435
    I adjusted the above criteria slightly. To keep it simpler.
    Ability - 50 percent - My completely subjective opinion on the abilities of the QB
    Performance - 30 percent - I kept performance to 2012 only. I kept as objective as possible using Reg Wins, Playoffs, QBR, and Passer rating. I can give a more detailed breakdown if requested.
    Career - 20 percent if more than 4 seasons (no rating otherwise). Career wins, Career playoffs, rings, accolades
    Potential - 20 percent if less than 5 seasons (no rating otherwise. Pretty self explanatory, subjective opinion on potential.

    My rankings of QBs based on the my subjective view of their Talent and Potential, as well the the objective view of their 2012 Season along with their career accomplishments:

    1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Eli
    4. Flacco
    5. Peyton
    6. Ben
    7. Ryan
    8. Luck
    9. Kaepernick
    10. Brees
    11. Stafford
    12. RGIII
    13. Dalton
    14. Newton
    15. Wilson
    16. Romo
    17. Rivers
    18. Schaub
    19. Cutler
    20. A.Smith
    21. Freeman
    22. Tannehill
    23. Bradford
    24. Palmer
    25. Locker
    26. Vick
    27. Ponder
    28. Sanchez
    29. Fitzpatrick
    30. Weeden
    31. Kolb
    32. Cassel
    33. Gabbert

    Oh my god... I'm a hater because I have the last 3 super bowl winners and the 2 best QBs of their generation ahead of Ben. Oh my god... look out... hater on the loose :ROLLEYES:
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    236
    AND IF I COULD TRADE BEN FOR STAFFORD, I'D BE LIKE QUCIK DRAW McGRAW ON THAT DEAL.

  4. #4
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,435
    Quote Originally Posted by weakdraft View Post
    AND IF I COULD TRADE BEN FOR STAFFORD, I'D BE LIKE QUCIK DRAW McGRAW ON THAT DEAL.
    no you wouldn't
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  5. #5
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilPatrickBanana View Post
    I adjusted the above criteria slightly. To keep it simpler.
    Ability - 50 percent - My completely subjective opinion on the abilities of the QB
    Performance - 30 percent - I kept performance to 2012 only. I kept as objective as possible using Reg Wins, Playoffs, QBR, and Passer rating. I can give a more detailed breakdown if requested.
    Career - 20 percent if more than 4 seasons (no rating otherwise). Career wins, Career playoffs, rings, accolades
    Potential - 20 percent if less than 5 seasons (no rating otherwise. Pretty self explanatory, subjective opinion on potential.

    My rankings of QBs based on the my subjective view of their Talent and Potential, as well the the objective view of their 2012 Season along with their career accomplishments:

    1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Eli
    4. Flacco
    5. Peyton
    6. Ben
    7. Ryan
    8. Luck
    9. Kaepernick
    10. Brees
    11. Stafford
    12. RGIII
    13. Dalton
    14. Newton
    15. Wilson
    16. Romo
    17. Rivers
    18. Schaub
    19. Cutler
    20. A.Smith
    21. Freeman
    22. Tannehill
    23. Bradford
    24. Palmer
    25. Locker
    26. Vick
    27. Ponder
    28. Sanchez
    29. Fitzpatrick
    30. Weeden
    31. Kolb
    32. Cassel
    33. Gabbert

    Oh my god... I'm a hater because I have the last 3 super bowl winners and the 2 best QBs of their generation ahead of Ben. Oh my god... look out... hater on the loose :ROLLEYES:
    I find it pretty hard to argue with you list when you detailed how you came up with it before hand. I dont typically rate qb's after the top 10 because i just dont see the point, but ill add an "On the cusp" list of 4-5 guys.

    1. Aaron Rogers
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Ben Roethlisberger
    6. Eli Manning
    7. Matt Ryan
    8. Tony Romo
    9. Phillip Rivers
    10. Joe Flacco

    On the Cusp: Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Robert Griffin III

    While I believe you based your argument on the stance of "What have you done for me lately" I tend to lean towards what have you done over your career. Thats why you wont see RG3, Colin Kapernick, Russel Wilson etc. in my top 10, though its damn hard to leave Andrew Luck out because his ceiling is SOOOO damn high IMHO!

    Joe Flacco is now atleast in the "elite" discussion. His numbers get better and better every season, his playoff number went from dismal to excellent in his time in the league. And he now has a title under his belt. He can make any throw on the field with EASE and when given time is pretty damn good with ball security and accuracy.
    Phillip Rivers: i detest this man, but up until 2 years ago he was as ELITE as elite could be with out a SB. He's had 2 **** seasons on a **** team ran by a **** FO, so i dont think you can blame his short comings of late entrely on him.
    Tony Romo is a numbers machine. He's easy to hate due to the fact he is a Cowboy and easy to discredit because of the Cowboys furtunes in the latter part of seasons over his career. But Romo can play at a high level and does more often then not. He's one of the more elusive QBs in the league and can still make plays all day as a pocket passer.
    Matt Ryan is going to be the next new QB with a SB ring. He has an awesome WR corps, 2 good RB's and he's in a system that was built for him. His number get better and better as does his team.
    Eli Manning has 2 SB rings and 2 SB MVPS, that lands you on my list. Though i think his runs as a SB QB are over, he lands on my list by have spans over his career of being utterly unstoppable on playoff runs.
    Ben Roethlisberger, IMO is a victim of a Fantasy football driven world. He's never gonna lead the league in QB stats other than maybe Wins and QB rating... but that all I want in a Franchise QB. With 2 SB's notched and 2 left in him (IMO) as a 31 year old he's gonn be a top 5 guy until the day he is replaced as the Steelers starter... the day he retires!
    How Drew Brees is No.10 by your standards is a complete enigma to me. A natural leader, Superbowl winning QB who broke the record that "would never be broken", so they said. Stud QB in every sense of the word.
    Peyton Manning will go down as the Best QB to ever play the game. That reign will be short lived though because of guys like Rogers and Bree being younger and putting up monster numbers and Brady will be in the running for that title as well.
    Tom Brady: If i ever have a kid who wants to be a QB im gonna set him down and play him tapes of Tom Brady! Pocket presence, poise, heart, leadership and a F'n cannon attached to his right shoulder. I could give 2 shits about Spygate when it comes to Tom Brady as an individual- his ablities as a QB are undeniable!
    Aaron Rogers: Jesus in cleats! Ok i've already reserved that title for Adrian Peterson but he's the next best thing in this modern era. There isnt anything this kid cant do, including WIN!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 02-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,435
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    I find it pretty hard to argue with you list when you detailed how you came up with it before hand. I dont typically rate qb's after the top 10 because i just dont see the point, but ill add an "On the cusp" list of 4-5 guys.

    1. Aaron Rogers
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Ben Roethlisberger
    6. Eli Manning
    7. Matt Ryan
    8. Tony Romo
    9. Phillip Rivers
    10. Joe Flacco

    On the Cusp: Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Robert Griffin III

    While I believe you based your argument on the stance of "What have you done for me lately" I tend to lean towards what have you done over your career. Thats why you wont see RG3, Colin Kapernick, Russel Wilson etc. in my top 10, though its damn hard to leave Andrew Luck out because his ceiling is SOOOO damn high IMHO!

    Joe Flacco is now atleast in the "elite" discussion. His numbers get better and better every season, his playoff number went from dismal to excellent in his time in the league. And he now has a title under his belt. He can make any throw on the field with EASE and when given time is pretty damn good with ball security and accuracy.
    Phillip Rivers: i detest this man, but up until 2 years ago he was as ELITE as elite could be with out a SB. He's had 2 **** seasons on a **** team ran by a **** FO, so i dont think you can blame his short comings of late entrely on him.
    Tony Romo is a numbers machine. He's easy to hate due to the fact he is a Cowboy and easy to discredit because of the Cowboys furtunes in the latter part of seasons over his career. But Romo can play at a high level and does more often then not. He's one of the more elusive QBs in the league and can still make plays all day as a pocket passer.
    Matt Ryan is going to be the next new QB with a SB ring. He has an awesome WR corps, 2 good RB's and he's in a system that was built for him. His number get better and better as does his team.
    Eli Manning has 2 SB rings and 2 SB MVPS, that lands you on my list. Though i think his runs as a SB QB are over, he lands on my list by have spans over his career of being utterly unstoppable on playoff runs.
    Ben Roethlisberger, IMO is a victim of a Fantasy football driven world. He's never gonna lead the league in QB stats other than maybe Wins and QB rating... but that all I want in a Franchise QB. With 2 SB's notched and 2 left in him (IMO) as a 31 year old he's gonn be a top 5 guy until the day he is replaced as the Steelers starter... the day he retires!
    How Drew Brees is No.10 by your standards is a complete enigma to me. A natural leader, Superbowl winning QB who broke the record that "would never be broken", so they said. Stud QB in every sense of the word.
    Peyton Manning will go down as the Best QB to ever play the game. That reign will be short lived though because of guys like Rogers and Bree being younger and putting up monster numbers and Brady will be in the running for that title as well.
    Tom Brady: If i ever have a kid who wants to be a QB im gonna set him down and play him tapes of Tom Brady! Pocket presence, poise, heart, leadership and a F'n cannon attached to his right shoulder. I could give 2 shits about Spygate when it comes to Tom Brady as an individual- his ablities as a QB are undeniable!
    Aaron Rogers: Jesus in cleats! Ok i've already reserved that title for Adrian Peterson but he's the next best thing in this modern era. There isnt anything this kid cant do, including WIN!
    Thanks for the reply. I'll address your critiques when I have a little more time. But I think throughout our differences there is a commonality in how to view QBs both through the subjective analysis of talent and the robust assessment of objective performance/career

    I do try to bring a balance on the subjective side between the "what have you done for me lately" as well as the "overall career". Just as I try to analyze the talent along with the potential.


    All four areas are important in my book. Some people, like Crash, want to limit the scope... but only when it favors their belief. He'll value the post season for Ben... but make excuses of other sorts for Eli.

    I prefer the holistic view
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    236
    Roethlisberger, like Polamalu, Hampton, and Timmons is OVERWEIGHT, SLOW, AND OBVIOUSLY LAZY WHEN AWAY FROM PRACTICE, AND IN THE OFFSEASON.

  8. #8
    Veteran scudmissile29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Deep in Flacco's wife
    Posts
    2,154
    My Mood
    Addicted
    EASY METHOD

    QUARTERBACK RATING

    CHECK FOR CONSISTENCY

    PLAYOFF WINS
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,447
    My rankings of QBs based on the my subjective view of their Talent and Potential, as well the the objective view of their 2012 Season along with their career accomplishments:
    And yet you have one of the NFL's biggest playoff chokers, another QB who's led the NFL in picks twice AND missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and a QB who's won squat since the biggest cheating scandal in history hit the NFL, ranked ahead of Ben?

    Interesting.

  10. #10
    Assistant Coach
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Palm Harbor, Fl
    Posts
    4,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And yet you have one of the NFL's biggest playoff chokers, another QB who's led the NFL in picks twice AND missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and a QB who's won squat since the biggest cheating scandal in history hit the NFL, ranked ahead of Ben?

    Interesting.
    The higher weight of "Talent" has a lot to do with that. As well as career being for the ENTIRE career.
    I can go into the specifics of each grade and weight for whichever players you are curious about... I have no problem backing up my subjective opinions or proving my objective scoring of career. BUT... you must first post your QB rankings
    Banana Fett !?!? Where???

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Honest predictions for W-L for the season
    By xxxsteelernation in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 08:40 AM
  2. Be honest with yourself as an objective and intelligent fan
    By NYCsteelersfan in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •