Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to rank QBs (an honest discussion)

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

How to rank QBs (an honest discussion)

Before even ranking QBs, and comparing our opinions and calling each other trolls and retards, wouldn't it be fun to come to an agreed upon method for doing those rankings first? If you think this is the dumbest idea ever... that's cool to, you can still participate.

We will have a separate thread later to actually post our rankings (under the agreed upon method). This thread is simply for determining how we will grade QBs to come up with our own rankings. If we use the same method, it will make the coming arguments far easier to debate.

Here's my suggestion. Hate away at it.

1. A 1 to 10 rating will be given for each category, including half scores (i.e. 7.5, 8.0, 8.5)
    2. Categories :
    - Talent/Skill - Your subjective opinion about the skill set of the QB. Completely your own interpretation base don the skill sets you deem the most important and valuable from passing, to IQ, to athleticism, etc
    - Performance - The QB statistics. Generally, viewed in the present. You can define present as you see fit (this past season? The last few seasons? Whatever you want.
    - Career - The results. Wins, Playoffs, Rings, Accolades. The entire career.
    - Potential - The ceiling, generally for younger players. Your projections.
    - Intangible - The completely subjective opinion on the things that may not fall into other categories (leadership, clutch ability, etc)
    3. Weight - The percent of the total score that each category should account for
    - Talent/Skill : 40 percent
    - Performance : 30 percent
    - Career :
    20 percent if 5 or more seasons
    10 percent if 3 or 4 seasons
    0 percent if 1 or 2 seasons
    - Potential :
    0 percent if 5 or more seasons
    10 percent if 3 or 4 seasons
    20 percent if 1 or 2 seasons
    - Intangible : 10 percent

Rank each QB with a 1-10 score (using half scores when you want)
    Apply the proper weight based on category and QB seasons
    Total it up

This is simply how I would do a basic ranking without getting into TOO much detail. I'm open to suggestions/changes in categories, weights, etc. I think it would be far more interesting to have a conversation about QBs, where we are all using a similar method to rank/rate QBs... the arguments would be much more organized.

Anyone want to play with the troll?

Banned
    I adjusted the above criteria slightly. To keep it simpler.
    Ability - 50 percent - My completely subjective opinion on the abilities of the QB
    Performance - 30 percent - I kept performance to 2012 only. I kept as objective as possible using Reg Wins, Playoffs, QBR, and Passer rating. I can give a more detailed breakdown if requested.
    Career - 20 percent if more than 4 seasons (no rating otherwise). Career wins, Career playoffs, rings, accolades
    Potential - 20 percent if less than 5 seasons (no rating otherwise. Pretty self explanatory, subjective opinion on potential.

My rankings of QBs based on the my subjective view of their Talent and Potential, as well the the objective view of their 2012 Season along with their career accomplishments:

1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Eli
    4. Flacco
    5. Peyton
    6. Ben
    7. Ryan
    8. Luck
    9. Kaepernick
    10. Brees
    11. Stafford
    12. RGIII
    13. Dalton
    14. Newton
    15. Wilson
    16. Romo
    17. Rivers
    18. Schaub
    19. Cutler
    20. A.Smith
    21. Freeman
    22. Tannehill
    23. Bradford
    24. Palmer
    25. Locker
    26. Vick
    27. Ponder
    28. Sanchez
    29. Fitzpatrick
    30. Weeden
    31. Kolb
    32. Cassel
    33. Gabbert

Oh my god... I'm a hater because I have the last 3 super bowl winners and the 2 best QBs of their generation ahead of Ben. Oh my god... look out... hater on the loose :ROLLEYES:

Banned
    Roethlisberger, like Polamalu, Hampton, and Timmons is OVERWEIGHT, SLOW, AND OBVIOUSLY LAZY WHEN AWAY FROM PRACTICE, AND IN THE OFFSEASON.

Banned
    AND IF I COULD TRADE BEN FOR STAFFORD, I'D BE LIKE QUCIK DRAW McGRAW ON THAT DEAL.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weakdraft View Post
    AND IF I COULD TRADE BEN FOR STAFFORD, I'D BE LIKE QUCIK DRAW McGRAW ON THAT DEAL.
    no you wouldn't

My Mood
    Addicted
    EASY METHOD

QUARTERBACK RATING

CHECK FOR CONSISTENCY

PLAYOFF WINS
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

Banned
    My rankings of QBs based on the my subjective view of their Talent and Potential, as well the the objective view of their 2012 Season along with their career accomplishments:
    And yet you have one of the NFL's biggest playoff chokers, another QB who's led the NFL in picks twice AND missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and a QB who's won squat since the biggest cheating scandal in history hit the NFL, ranked ahead of Ben?

Interesting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And yet you have one of the NFL's biggest playoff chokers, another QB who's led the NFL in picks twice AND missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and a QB who's won squat since the biggest cheating scandal in history hit the NFL, ranked ahead of Ben?

Interesting.
    The higher weight of "Talent" has a lot to do with that. As well as career being for the ENTIRE career.
    I can go into the specifics of each grade and weight for whichever players you are curious about... I have no problem backing up my subjective opinions or proving my objective scoring of career. BUT... you must first post your QB rankings

Banned
    The higher weight of "Talent" has a lot to do with that.
    Tom Brady's last 4 AFC title games:

94 for 157 for 1000 yards 4 TD 8 Int 65.8 rating.

That doesn't include the 2 SB's his offense failed to score 20 points in, nor the *** whipping the Ravens gave him in 2009's post season.

Seems to me, now that the camera's have been taken away, we are seeing his "true" talent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Tom Brady's last 4 AFC title games:

94 for 157 for 1000 yards 4 TD 8 Int 65.8 rating.

That doesn't include the 2 SB's his offense failed to score 20 points in, nor the *** whipping the Ravens gave him in 2009's post season.

Seems to me, now that the camera's have been taken away, we are seeing his "true" talent.
    there is a ton of data. You choose to nitpick data that supports your preconceived notion.

What you could do... is combine you personal opinion with an objective scoring of the 2012 season and the players careers. All of this can be plugged into excel very simply to give you a combination of SUBJECTIVE OPINION (Talent and Potential) and OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS (2012 season and Career DATA)

It's quite clear that you wont post a rankings, because you prefer to nitpick... rather than be held to account. Similar to you nonsense view of a few playcalls verse the objective view of the playcalling in its entirety

I have a sidebet about you through PM... I'm winning so far, thanks

Thread Information