Thread: First Ray Lewis, now Joe Flacco ready to cheat to win?

Bookmark and Share

First Ray Lewis, now Joe Flacco ready to cheat to win?

Funny that NFL Channel's Sound FX crew actually caught this on camera...

February 8, 2013
    Joe Flacco had a pretty interesting plan for the final play of the Super Bowl.

Problem is, had he needed to carry out his plan it might have turned into the most infamous play in Super Bowl history, for all the wrong reasons.

The Baltimore Ravens were about to make a free kick with four seconds left. The Ravens had just taken an intentional safety — complete with some egregious holding — that made the score 34-31. Baltimore’s task was simple: Kick the ball to Ted Ginn Jr., tackle him and win the Super Bowl.

Flacco, caught on NFL.com’s Sound FX videos, had another idea.

The Ravens quarterback turned to tight end Dennis Pitta on the sidelines and said: “If he (Ginn) starts to break it, go tackle him.”

“Really?” Pitta said, sounding more curious than incredulous.

“I don’t know,” Flacco said. “I mean. What else . . . what can they . . . I don’t know . . . they might be able to give him a touchdown on that. I don’t know.”

Flacco’s idea to come off the bench and stop a would-be touchdown would have broken every rule of sportsmanship in the books, but in his mind it would have ensured the Ravens win the Super Bowl. It’s not clear if he was joking, but he didn’t smile or laugh as he spoke, and he did speak to others about leaving the sidelines to stop a potential touchdown.

“Hey,” he said to his offensive linemen after he walked away from Pitta, “if he breaks it, if he busts it for some reason, tackle him. Go tackle him. I don’t know what the rule is on that but . . .”

“Why can’t you?” guard Marshal Yanda said.

“I will; I’m going to,” Flacco said.

The mere thought of Flacco or any Baltimore player coming off the bench to tackle a punt returner is mind-boggling. Clearly Flacco thought the worst that could happen would have been a 15-yard penalty.

Which he’d have taken to ensure Baltimore won.

What if it had happened? Could Flacco, or any player on any team, actually ensure a win by stopping a touchdown coming off the bench?

Thankfully, no.

Michael Signora, NFL vice president of communication, referred to Rule 12, Section 3, Article 3 on page 72 of the Rule Book.

It covers a “palpably unfair act.”

And it reads: “A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score.”

So had Flacco — or any Raven — tried what Flacco discussed, he would have lived in notoriety forever. Because he would have had to deal with the embarrassment of coming off the bench to make a tackle, and of giving the 49ers their game-winning touchdown.

That the league has this rule in the books shows it has to be ready for anything.

Super Bowls produce all kind of crazy plays.

Had this one played out the way Flacco discussed, it might have been the craziest ever.
    Way to win with grace and class, Joey. I would have actually loved to see this go sour on you. However, as we saw with the blatant no-calls on holding and such, maybe the Refs would have given them a pass on this one as well.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/08/1...blockID=860929

Banned
    The Refs wouldn't care. They've been trying to save the Ravens for three years and finally succeeded.

It would've been funny. This isn't a big deal. I'm sure in that moment you want it so bad you'd do almost anything. Like I said, it isn't a big deal. Had he actually done it, now that's a different story. I would've loved nothing more than to see the Super Bowl ripped from the Ravens in the last few seconds, while at the same time making Joe Flacco the biggest joke in NFL history.

That would've been beautiful.

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Woot

My Social Networks

Follow Rhys Lightning 63 On Twitter
    I remember listening to Mike And Mike In The Morning last year after NY had won the Superbowl and Golic was talking about the time he was with the Eagles, they were up 6 points (or something similar) with like 2 minutes to go and his coach at the time (may have been Buddy Ryan, I don't know), told them to go and put 15 guys out on the field, because they knew they had to start passing, so with every receiver in double coverage essentially, they couldn't throw it and all the refs could do was give them a 5-yard flag, but each play would have taken about 10 seconds of the clock.

Can't see how that is any different to what Flacco was attempting to do

Somebody actually did that years ago when I was in high school - jumped off the bench and tackled the runner going for a TD. That moment is etched vividly in my mind - it was born of pure frustration. I guess you can excuse a 16 year old kid.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    Somebody actually did that years ago when I was in high school - jumped off the bench and tackled the runner going for a TD. That moment is etched vividly in my mind - it was born of pure frustration. I guess you can excuse a 16 year old kid.
    lol hang the teenage kid from a 10 ft lamp post
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Wallace sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Rahim Moore needs to be shot. Never seen such putrid safety play in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Best thread in sometime and I agree....I rather eat **** and die then ever root for the Baltimore Ravens

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It would have been so epic to see them lose it at the last second, I would have paid to see that ****. Flacco is a ****tard, I hope he gets his 100 million contract and then breaks his leg in week 1.

First Ray Lewis, now Joe Flacco ready to cheat to win?

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It would have been so epic to see them lose it at the last second, I would have paid to see that ****. Flacco is a ****tard, I hope he gets his 100 million contract and then breaks his leg in week 1.
    Wow so harsh! I freaking love it!!! lol

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    Now let's not act like a bunch of sore spots. Let the ravens have there little trophy. Yes I hate them too, but I've heard disgruntled browns say the same things about the steelers after we won the sb. You can't buy class. We still have 6. Unprecedented. We'll be back.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Thread Information